“Why is this still open”

Jay's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in Albemarle
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here for numerous years and it keeps getting worse! !! My flounder was not well cooked, water had something in it and the service was not good. Would not recommend it.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I think I've been to Jay's twice before and the first time, the food was good, but I was seated in a large room with bad acoustics and it was terribly LOUD. The next time, I was in a smaller room, and the food was good.

I tried the fried shrimp this time, and they were small, and I guess the batter overpowered the shrimp flavor. I had some corn, which looked very good, but had little or no seasoning and didn't have alot of flavor. The thing that was absolutely disappointing was the clam chowder. There were several clams, in a thin milky watery soup and nothing else. Well, I dipped the ladel a couple of times and got no potatoes, or onion, or anything else. Not salted either, so an unpleasant taste experience. It did smell like clam chowder though.

The slaw and beef chunks were good. There was fried fish, but I didn't try that.

2  Thank Bill_G_2
Reviewed June 25, 2014

While visiting the area with my Son-in-law, Daughter and Grandson we decided to try this establishment. If you are into heavy fried food, then this is the place for you. If you are looking for healthy then I would suggest you stay away.

Even though the buffet was only $11.00 it is mainly (85%) fried foods. Should you choose to order off of their menu then you will have the same results. This is what we choose to do.

On the up side you do get plenty of food for the money and we took some of ours home after dinner. What we ordered was very well prepared and waste also very tasty.

They are not a fancy establishment. The buffet utilizes styrofoam plates, they leave a plastic pitcher on the table for your drinks and a large mug with ice for the table.

Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

If you want a good place to eat, sometimes you have to get off Main Street. Way off. Nestled in a tight curve on a country road way past the local county fairgrounds is where you need to head.

I've heard about this place for years and have even tried to stop by a couple of times but they weren't open. Finally got a chance to eat here and I'll definitely be back again.

If you can't find a place across the street in front there is also parking in the back which is where the handicapped parking and entrance is located.

Glad we got there early cause it got packed quickly. Immediately we were greeted and lead to the table. The menus were more like laminated placemats. There was a small selection, smaller than I've seen in most restaurants but had both fried and broiled selections as well as a buffet. I ordered the fried Alaskan white fish. I typically stay away from fried foods but was hungry and didn't want to wait the extra time for a broiled order and didn't want a buffet.

When the order arrived it was almost falling off the plate. There were 4-5 large portions along with a baked potato and a vegetable. I was concerned because it was also very dark. I thought for sure it was burned but it was so juicy and delicious. Better than a lot of places. I didn't think I would be able to eat it all and got a to go box but the time they brought it my plate was completely empty.

I didn't know anyone there but had a conversation with three friendly tables. Even the fellow customers invited me back when they found it was my first visit.

Friendly service, friendly customers and good food? Yeah I'll be back.

1  Thank Talonrock
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Fried shrimp and flounder doesn't get any better than this. There is a buffet, but I like to order off the menu. Great onion rings and hush puppies, and the tea is always fresh. Worth a visit any time you're near.