“IRRESPONSIBLE HOTEL”

Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagasaki
Shanghai, China
“IRRESPONSIBLE HOTEL”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Never received this kind of service in any other hotel of the world! I reserved two deluxe rooms from Jan. 24th to 27th but was assigned with one deluxe and one superior (Cheaper) which we did not know at the first place. When the front desk staff realized the issue and came to us asking for room relocation at mid-night which is really a bad time for such things especially after an inter continental flight and a half day tour. After a difficult conversation with the hotel staff (Poor English communication) and a few international calls with friend who made the reservation and interpreted between us. We found out that the hotel made a mistake by assigning us a cheaper room vs. our reservation. Considering the time and the fact that all of the luggage have been opened, we made it clear that we would like to leave the arrangement as it was. Surprisingly, we were charged the same as our reservation while checking out. We queried that why we were charged with deluxe room while actually staying in a superior and taking responsibility for the mistake that the hotel made. The same hotel staff insisted that we had to pay as what we reserved. What kind of logic is that! Considering we are in a hurry for the next stop and the total less of sincerity from the hotel staff, we paid and left. But trust me, although this is my first time staying in a Best Western Hotel, it will likely to be my last. I am the elite members of the Hyatt Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Starwood Preferred Guest, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, IHG Priority Club, Accor A Club and Shangri-la Golden Circle, and I have been staying at many hotels around the world from top luxury to small private ones. Never have I been treated like this before, let alone the high service standard that I've been receiving from other parts of Japan during my many visits. This is really a shock for me and I hope this would not be a normal thing that one should expect from a Best Western Hotel!

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are larger and nicer.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank MikeJChina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We chose this hotel because of its vicinity,near JR station and also rental car companies. Staff are friendly but English is nearly to a bare minimum. Furnishing in room was probably new 30years ago. I was amazed by the bedside control panels for lightings, this is how I guess the age. Bed is comfortable with standard items in comparison to other Japanese hotels. Display in the reception is an eye-opening if one is interested in pottery and wooden items.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Scotland
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I stayed in this business hotel recently whilst on short business trip to Nagasaki.

The hotel is pleasant and clean and staff provide attentive service. Rooms are simply furnished and well soundproofed with good beds so problems sleeping.

The self service breakfast buffet was a little disappointing but essentially ok.

If I was in Nagasaki again in near future I would consider using this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Toronto
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Located about 10 minute walk from JR station. There is also a streetcar stop right outside of the hotel. Room rate was expensive but included breakfast. Nice public area's. Received room on "executive floor" with access to "executive lounge". The lounge included only soft drinks, everything else was at an extra charge. Rooms average. Internet was not free.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LMC_Canada
New Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 13, 2009

The lobby is the highlight of the hotel. My room had mold growing on the bathroom doorjam and it was too lost in translation for an explination. Convenient to tram stops, an JR line. Staff helpful in assiting finding an English speaking pharmacist!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank zebrafeet
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed April 19, 2007

This is not at all like what you imagine a Best Western to be like in the US. This is a luxury hotel in every sense. It is located a short block from the railway station and the airport bus terminal. The lobby is full of beautiful flowers, marble and plush. We were on an executive floor, as part of a package deal for about $200 a night.
A hotel of this quality would cost over $300 in any major US city. The rooms are like those in a US luxury hotel, with plentiful high quality amenities, bathrobes and yukatas provided, lots of hot water, high tech heated toilet seat, thick towels, lots of useless pillows on the beds, big marble bathroom with a non-fog mirror, 2 hair dryers. Beds are very comfortable and everything was spotless. A limited selection of drinks in the minibar is free and we even got free aromatherapy in our package. Lights, radio, and alarm clock are controlled by a console between the beds, as in many Japanese hotels.
Only disappointment is that most of the brochures and maps were only available in Japanese, and CNN was the only non-Japanese TV channel available. You pay for movies by buying a card for 1000 yen (about $9.50) from a machine in the hall. Complete American and Japanese buffet breakfast was provided in the top floor restaurant, with a nice view of the harbor. Fast in-room internet connection was available with an ethernet cable. There is a laptop computer in the VIP lounge on the 11th floor that they will let you use in the evening when the lounge is open.

The restaurants in this hotel are very expensive. The evening buffet on the 15th floor, in particular, is grossly overpriced for what you get. Avoid it.

Hotel staff were very helpful. Their ability to understand English is variable but we were always able to find someone to help us.

Nagasaki is a beautiful city and well worth a visit. The trolley stop
is right outside the door of this hotel.

• Liked — Luxury accomodation at a reasonable price
  • Disliked — Lack of brochures and maps in languages other than Japanese
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank wguterbock
Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2007

I stayed in this hotel for two nights, on their 'Women Only' floor. The only males allowed were staff! The hotel itself is extremely luxurious and comfortable - my room was enormous, as was the bathroom, and the amenities in the bathroom were impressive. However, one thing that left me a bit uncomfortable was the bellboy that brought my suitcase to my room and who was hell-bent on practicing his English. I think he took me for an American (or someone who had never been to Japan) and stood poised with his hands behind his back, obviously waiting for a tip! (The tip that never came, might I add.) I should point out that tipping is not a custom in Japan, and is actively discouraged in many hotels. This clown didn't know I'd lived in Japan and knew this very very well. I didn't much like his attitude. I reckon Americans who visit don't know any different and prepetuate the myth that Westerners = Tip!
The breakfast was just alright. They continuously ran out of things like bread and fruit, and instead of bringing out larger quantities, kept bringing out 6 or 7 bread rolls, only for them to be gone in two minutes flat. This kind of thing was annoying.

• Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Elimarcon