“Better than expected”

Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagasaki
Tokyo, Japan
“Better than expected”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just stayed for a one night stop-over in Nagasaki and we were pleasantly surprised. Considering the price, we werent expecting too much. But turned out to be quite new, modern and stylish considering its a small business hotel. Rooms were small as expected, but clean, modern and comfortable. Great location, close to the trams and Chinatown. Its not luxury, but its cheap, convenient, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tokyotravellers1207

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Stayed there in early Apr. 3 mins walk to the tram station Tsuki machi. Just infront of Chinatown. Nice clean rooms and free internet. Took trams to all the tourist attractions. Tram stops have tourist friendly signs and directions in English. Supermarket just 20 metres away and lots of small eating places and coffee joints nearby. No regrets.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joeljim
Kaneohe, HI
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I just finished reading some of the other reviews of this hotel and find them very truthful, so I just have a couple of things to add.

I've stayed at a couple other Dormy Inns and I would probably put this one at the bottom of my list. First, the front desk staff could hardly communicate with me, even though I tried using as much of my Japanese as I could. This after the booking engine showed their language facility as "English." I found the lobby dull and crowded after the nice lobbies in other Dormy Inns, and found the staff less than friendly. After some wait I was put in touch with a gentleman who was able to communicate with me, and he told me about some interesting places to visit in Nagasaki. Another thing that was a minus was the fact that the onsen, although well appointed and clean, was totally inside, whereas all the other ones I've been to were on the top floor and included an outside "rotenburo."

The room was pretty much what I expected, although I paid a little more than usual because of the picture on the Japanicam website which showed a more spacious "corner" room in the category I booked. It was a nice, clean room, appointed pretty much as I expected, and at least it had free internet. The window looked out on a parking lot and several alleys, but also looked up to the lovely hotels on the mountainside, and I found myself wishing I had spent a little more money for more luxury.

I didn't take advantage of the free noodles, and that is perhaps something I should have done, and also didn't head for the breakfast buffet.

All in all, I'd say the value was pretty good for the money and the location was excellent, being right outside the main gate of Chinatown and just a short walk from some interesting night spots. It was always easy to get to and from this place, mainly to the train station. I enjoyed riding the "trams," as I'm a big fan of rail transportation. As to whether I'd stay here again, I don't think I would, although I don't want to discourage bargain hunters from taking advantage of this budget hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Whitsiepoo
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Access to the hotel is a short tram ride from Nagasaki station. Staff are very helpful and efficient. Rooms are small (as are most rooms in Japan) but comfortable and modern with a nice Chinese theme. The hotel is very central to the city and chinatown in particular. We were there for the Chinese New Year and it was fantastic with multi coloured lanterns and displays and lots of street events. Many attractions are nearby within easy walking. Breakfast is inexpensive and good. A nice touch is free snack late at night as well as free internet use. Particularly enjoyable was the communal bath. All in all a very enjoyable place to stay and we would return again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Nagasaki, Japan
Reviewed February 14, 2012

A very good Japanese hotel. As usual the rooms are small, but that has been the same every hotel I have stayed in. The Dormy Inn is right in the heart of Chinatown, and consequently "downtown". Free computers and printer for use (pay for paper), very friendly staff, a nice onsen on the reception floor with three seperate baths, and just a good, clean overall feel. If you need to borrow a iron, just ask the staff.

It isn't the cheapest hotel in Nagasaki, but I think you are getting the most for your money here.

I would say it is very good 4-star hotel. Recommended!

Room Tip: Higher the better for the view!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travisler
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This is a great Japanese hotel. We stayed for two nights on our recent trip to Nagasaki. The room was small but, who spends a lot of time in the room anyway. I agree with all of the positive reviews here. There isn't much else that I can say. However, I fear that some may be misled by the review titled "Best hotel in the world by ratio of quality to price, so far." I worry that some may expect more than they actually get. I live in Japan and booked knowing fully what to expect in a Japanese hotel in this price range. This is a clean, modern, well located Japanese hotel with some amenities you don't find elsewhere (nightly noodles, nice breakfast, onsen...) If you book expecting a 5 star experience you will be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Semsensei
Singapore
Reviewed July 28, 2011

While the hotel rooms are small, the price, location and amenities more than makes up for it.

The hotel looks really new and clean. There are 2 computer terminals for guests to use at the lobby. Hotel reception staff were really helpful when we wanted to find out more about getting to Mount Inasa.

There was nothing to shout about Chinatown, but we loved the fact that the hotel was walking distance from the shopping/eatery stretch where there was Daiso, Daimaru, 100 yen store, Baskin Robbins, a superb 100 yen conveyor-belt sushi place, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family