“Comfortable, easy, enjoyable stay”

Richmond Hotel Nagasaki Shianbashi
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagasaki
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here one night with another family, 4 adults and 4 children in total. Children all under 6yo. I loved the city of Nagasaki in general and also very much enjoyed this hotel. It's very modern, everything is well thought out, there are directions in English. As everyone has mentioned, the location is urban and convenient, the buffet breakfast is outstanding, and they have coin laundry available which I found very useful in washing dirty kids clothes. Negatives, the rooms are too small (tho normal for Japan) and they did not seem to have any extra bed options for us. But other than that I highly recommend this hotel. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank chinagirl
rnt_nagasaki, 支配人 at Richmond Hotel Nagasaki Shianbashi, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you very much for your warm comment.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your trip in Nagasaki.
And it would make us happy if we are helpful to you.
Please choose our hotel if you have a chance to come to Nagasaki again.
We are looking forward to the day we will be able to see you again.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

There is a reason that this is no. 1 on TA for Nagasaki. This was easily the best hotel that I stayed at during my weeks long trip to Japan.

Don't expect absurd luxury from this place. What you do get however is smart, friendly service, a great base for sightseeing, and excellent, reasonable amenities, which in sum make this place well worth the money.

The Richmond Hotel is a short taxi ride away from Nagasaki station, or you can tram it. The hotel is a short walk from Shianbashi tram station. Head south into the narrower road once you get off and you'll see it soon. Its the entertainment area, so its easy to find good restaurants, convenience stores, cafes, shopping (theres an arcade running east-west, to the north of Shianbashi tram stop), and bars. There's a nearby Starbucks and Mister Donut northwest from the hotel (head west on the road with the tram to find it) to get your morning fix. The hotel provides an excellent paper map of the area. Shianbashi is located roughly in between the major sights to the north (A-bomb related) and the southwest (Chinatown, Glover Hill areas). As such, with the tram, its pretty easy to hit up all of the major sights in the city.

All of the staff that I dealt with were polite and helpful. Check-in was easy and quick. The clean, non-smoking room was definitely not as small as most other Japanese hotels that you find for this price. The bathroom was a very good size, with a lot of sink space, which is rare for this price range. One time I smelled something a little strange in the bathroom, but thankfully it did not linger. The bed was a good size, and very comfortable. Free Wifi worked well. The TV had an English channel that was not news (there's a button on the remote that will change the dubbed Japanese to English). I had no issues with noise from the other rooms. There was occasional noise from outside (a karaoke club?), but it wasn't too bad and didn't cause problems with sleeping. There were 2 convenient desktop PCs in the lobby. There were no issues in checking out and using their baggage storage service my last day when I went to grab some champon.

I had dinner once in the restaurant. I ordered one of their pizzas, which was surprisingly good, and the pork skewers were simply superb. Service here was great, like the rest of the hotel. They also had Guinness on tap! Customers staying at the hotel get a small discount, so show them your card key when settling the bill.

Overall a great establishment in a pretty city. If I ever return to this town, I'll definitely be back. Thanks for a fantastic stay Richmond Hotel! =)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank GMK1954
rnt_nagasaki, 支配人 at Richmond Hotel Nagasaki Shianbashi, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Richmond Hotel Nagasaki this time.
You seemed to be able to take a rest during a stay comfortably, I, all the staff felt relieved and big pleasure.
Because the streetcar goes to the tourist attraction of Nagasaki soon, it is really convenient,
and you seemed to be able to help it and I am glad to hear that.
I prepare for various maps at the front desk, and there are several kinds of English maps to be able to help an overseas visitor.
In addition, the meal at the restaurant seemed to be palatable, too and is glad very much.
So that you say, we discount if the guest show a room key.
In addition, we are really glad when you will come to Nagasaki if I stay at our hotel.
We are looking forward to your coming next time heartily.
Thank you very much for having this time you contribute it.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

First Visit in Nagasaki and this hotel serves the best during our stays. Good location, reasonable price, friendly staffs, good amenities, clean room, and good services. I would recommend to stay at this hotel if you`re not driving a car. The entrance road to the hotel is narrow and overcrowded. Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying at the Richmond Hotel Nagasaki this time.
All the staff were very glad and read it for words of many praise.
Our hotel is built in the Nagasaki's best downtown, so the visitor coming for the first time thinks whether it is puzzled a little. If you have some worry about that, please ask staff willingly anytime.
We will try for the offer of the best service that a visitor is satisfied with from now on.
Thank you for contributing it this time.
We wait for the day when I can see again heartily.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

It is first time for my wife and I to see Lantern Festival at Nagasaki. We enjoyed our stay very much. Hotel location is good for sightseeing, shopping and eating. Hotel amenity is very good more than our expectation. Especially bath amenity, my wife purchased both shampoo and conditioner. I plan to trip to Nagasaki with my family someday, plan to stat at RIchmond hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Akira M
rnt_nagasaki, 支配人 at Richmond Hotel Nagasaki Shianbashi, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for your staying this time.
We are glad to have you like our hotel.
And also, we read it very delightfully that your wife bought which liked shampoo and a conditioner.
We are all looking forward to seeing you and your family.
Thank you for having you contribute it.
I appreciate your continuous support.

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

It deserves it's number one spot. The location is great, you can pretty much get anywhere you want to in the area easily enough. The staff are helpful, the rooms are nice, big and clean and the lobby is very smart as well. Good service , and neither I nor my girlfriend could smell any bad odor.
There is a great little karaoke across the street too, 1000 yen for one hour singing and all you can drink... Very very good sound. Well worth it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I couldn't get the online form to work when I was trying to reserve my room so I had a Japanese speaker call and make my reservation. Reserving a non-smoking room was no problem and our room had no odor whatsoever.

Because the price was so reasonable, I was expecting something a little lackluster but I was really impressed by the decor and "expensive" feel of the place. Very convenient to have a restaurant on site. We had a package including breakfast which was mainly Japanese style food but I thoroughly enjoyed it. They also have a little "coffee to go" station if you want to take a cup with you which is a nice touch. The bathroom featured shower gel and shampoo from the Body Shop.

You're just a couple minutes walk from the Shianbashi tram stop. We took taxis frequently as they were quite affordable compared to the fares we're accustomed to in Tokyo.

We got a little warm the first night but after that I googled Japanese air conditioner and heater kanji and was better able to operate the thermostat. We talked to the front desk after that first night and they told us to call them at any time if there were any more problems, but that wasn't necessary. The vending machine floor only had drink machines so if you think you might get hungry, stop at a nearby convenience store.

If I had one complaint about the hotel, it would be that it is situated in the entertainment district. So it was quite noisy our first night which happened to be New Year's Eve. People were out yelling in the streets, celebrating from midnight to the wee hours. And this happened on a couple other nights as well. But if you bring earplugs, you're fine.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
rnt_nagasaki, マネージャー at Richmond Hotel Nagasaki Shianbashi, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Thank you for staying at the Richmond Hotel Nagasaki this time.
Our hotel is built in the Nagasaki's best downtown, so the visitor coming for the first time thinks whether it is puzzled a little.If you have some worry about that, Please tell me if there is something that I can help you with.

We are looking forward to your coming next time heartily.
Thank you very much for having this time you contribute it.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Good value for money but the reservation form should include a non-smoking room option. The room I stayed in had a strong lingering odor from the previous smoker guest(s). There is an air purifier, a rather effective one, I would say, in the room, but all the labels on the machine are in Japanese, and I was able to use it only because my Japanese friend showed me how. I did not know it was an air purifier, and when I found out I kept pressing the wrong buttons. The brand is Sony, but you wouldn't know it because the machine is covered with Japanese writing. According to my Japanese friend, with this machine Sony made a killing in China because of all the air pollution in the north. You should ask for a second room key so that you can keep the air purifier running while you are out. Open the window as well. Although it's a business hotel filled with Japanese visitors in freshly pressed suits, it's also a very convenient location for tourists. It's right next to the city tram, and a short block away is a lovely mall. I would give the hotel four stars but the room odor I at first encountered really put me off. So three stars, pinching my nose.

Room Tip: Richmond hotel should provide non-smoking rooms.