“Almost good but need to clean air-con” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Taiyo

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Taiyo
Ranked #164 of 296 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Ratchaburi, Ratchaburi, Thailand
“Almost good but need to clean air-con”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I was there on 11-14 Dec 2013 and stayed for 3 night in a single non-smoke room. At first I found that the air-conditioner was so dirty, spitted out the black dust for all the time. My stuff and even bed sheet were dirty as well. I just skipped it since I was too tired from travelling. Next day, I asked the staff to move to another room. Staff team speak English not so well, they didn't understand what I was asking for, just a boy who spoke and understand English well. They're ok to let me move to another one but at the single smoke-room. I did know at that time, they never clean the air-con of each room.

All over the building there're only 2 private bathrooms and one public onsen (separate for male and female at different time). Western toilet style on some floors and the rest are Japanese style. The corridor and toilet are very cold since they open the windows all day and night.
Wifi signal is quite strong at every single floor. There're coin-wash machines, vending machine, hot-cold water, microwave available at 1st floor.
I just hated Chinese guests talking and making noise till late at night, they should respect other's privacy more than usual. The hotel should give a notice paper or do it in personal when they first check-in.

Room Tip: I have no idea since there's an echo whatever you do at the corridor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Yanisa C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Naxxar, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Small room, with heating and a fridge. Also free wifi. It's very close to doubutsuen Mae and shinimamiya station. Staff are very helpful and they speak very good English. They also offer to keep your bags for you after check out (which is a bit early 10:00). We were on the 6th floor and it was very noisy since guests from the room in front of us kept going out of the room, slamming the door every time. This was at 3am!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I stayed for 2 night for my osaka trip.
Good point for this hotel
1. close to train station about 50 m.
2. there have many convenient store like 7-11 and family mart and zoo
3. cozy price ,It good price for Backpacker and solotravel
4.Japanese stlye bed, great sense for foreigner cuz we never try before
Bad point
1.small room but clean and have some smell ,I guess It smell of old.
2.Bath room is soo limited and toilet as well,It quite bad
My suggestion, If you are not afraid in Public bath, Let s' try it. cuz No one used public bath room,You could take a private bath there. I think noone used it cuz there have many foreigners to stayed there and afraid to have a chance to naked in public.anyway.It quite trilled if there have another people have same idea of me but I have try before :P

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights which was my fourth stay in this property.

It is basic and good value for money. Previous stays I have been allocated Japanese style rooms with futon bedding etc. This time I was given a "western" style room with a traditional style bed. Whilst I personally like the Japanese style, this caters for those who are less comfortable trying new or different experiences than what try may have in their home country.

A welcome addition is the extra showing facilities installed on the 2nd floor. Perhaps I was lucky but I didn't have to queue for the showers at any time. For the guys there is always the communal showering area to use in the mornings which is always available without waiting and is perfectly acceptable if you're not over concerned about privacy.

Overall, this is a good value alternative to an expensive hotel if you are just using it as a base to sleep in and won't be spending lots of time in your room during the day.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GME-SE10
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I am a 61 years old business man, and have lived in or traveled to Japan a combined 15 years or so. At one extreme I have stayed at the Ritz Carleton Osaka, and I guess Hotel Taiyo would represent the other extreme. As a frequent traveler around Japan, I search for places or experiences that are new to me, and which give me insight into Japanese society. I understand that this area of Osaka is where day laborers stay and seek work, thus the high concentration of cheap lodging. Hotel Taiyo appears to have positioned itself more for foreign travelers, certainly not all of whom are young.
I agree with other reviewers that the rooms are tiny (but bigger than in a "capsule hotel") and there are only 3 showers in the building that are shared by the 100 or so hotel guests. There is a Japanese-style bath open in the evenings - it's functional but not fancy. In the room there is a small TV (Japanese programs only), a small fridge and an air conditioner, all of which worked fine. You get a towel, a wash cloth, toothbrush, yukata-robe and slippers, and there is shampoo and body soap in the showers and bath.
Across the street to the north is the Shinseikai (literally, "New World") area, built over 100 years ago. In the evening, particularly on weekends, the place is lit up and filled with people. who line up to eat at the great number of kushiyaki and sushi restaurants; mostly each stick of kushiyaki and piece of sushi is 100 yen. The atmosphere is a far cry from that of Namba just 2 stations north, and if you are looking for a different side of Japan, you can see it here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank RiBrown74
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This place is good for people who don't mind hostels. I'm 39 years old, and made a vow to myself in my mid-twenties I would never stay in hostels again. I seem to have broken my vow. The cheap price of rooms in Hotel Taiyo was too much of a draw I guess.
The rooms are private, but small and smell strongly of musky tatami mats. It's nasty. The shared bathrooms are kept adequately clean, but still feel kind of gross. The staff tend to be nice and helpful, but one guy had a bit of attitude. Internet is free and good in rooms depending on how close you are to the modem.
One previous reviewer wrote how great she thought it was that there are all female floors - great for her I guess but not for me as I am a full grown man so have to share with everybody. I love the double standards feminists celebrate. Thanks for the misandry honey.
Bottom line I would recommend forking out the money for a decent hotel room in a better part of town -- unless you are the "hostel type" -- you know: dread locks / pothead / college drop out / body odor / obsessed with India / hippy clothes / leftist / in your 20s [your whole life].
If you're over 30/35 you'll regret booking here when you see your room.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cinesis
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels in Tokyo that were triple the cost of this place, so I was quite skeptical when I decided to book it worrying that I cheaped out too much. I can't stand hostels, shared/noisy accommodations and not having my own toilet/shower is not for me. This place does have shared restrooms and showers but the price was so low I thought I would try it anyway, I could always change my hotel if I didn't like it and was only losing out on about $20/day so it wasn't a big deal. The staff were very friendly, to the point that you can just show up having done no planning or research and they can send you on your way to to the top destinations in Osaka as well as to nearby Kyoto, Nara, and Kobe. The area is a bit rough by Japanese standards but it's right next to two train stations that are very well connected and can get you pretty much anywhere, even to the airport without connecting. I did have to make a connection to get to Kyoto for a day trip but getting to Nara was a piece of cake. It's also just a 25 minute walk from the Namba area which is hands down the best area of the city by day or night. The stroll also takes you through Den Den town which is a very tame version of Akihabara but still full of interesting things to see. If you don't mind going for a walk or jumping on the subway the location is just fine if you're looking to save some money, it's by far and away the cheapest option without staying at a dreadful hostel... You will even meet other travelers in the lobby which can be helpful to find a drinking buddy (I was fortunate enough to meet some locals my first night out who helped show me around and take me to some amazing bars). The room was tiny, the wifi wasn't great (signal was weak at times and slow), the pillow was awful but it had a fridge and the AC worked great. The small room motivated me to get out and explore when I otherwise would have hung out in my hotel room much longer (thanks to my excessive drinking) if it were nicer, so that was the one positive aspect for the small, uncomfortable room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo