“Cheap, nothing special”

Ranked #118 of 298 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Osaka, Japan
“Cheap, nothing special”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The friendly staff was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction of where the good food are. Despite it not being in a central location, it is still very close to everything else, within 5min walking distance to the subway and JR train stations and about 30mins walk to Dotonbori which if you're into the Osaka night life it is a very convenient walk.

That being said, I had a private room, it was on the 9th floor and the shared bathrooms were on the ground floor which I found to be a little inconvenient. The room it self had a very bad musty smell to it every time I walked in which really put me off. So overall for the price this is not a terrible place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank DevilJR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Well first off, i was in Osaka for 4 days, but i booked my first and last nights with another cheaper hotel alone and in Chuo with my friend. The first hotel did not have water heater at all...... when i booked into Chuo, i asked the manager if it was possible to extend one more night for me and they helped me out. the manager even helped me to call the first hotel and helped to cancel my stay over there. Their receptionists speak chinese and japanese so it was fine :) Manager could speak english well. and he loves talking about Singapore haha.

Anyways, there free breakfast in the morning, but only simple bread and tea at the recep. There is always water there, so no need to worry. Their computers have fast connection speed. their wifi is by floor. and very strong too! Clean rooms, clean toilets. their room heater works well too.
the hotel is just barely a 5 mins walk from the JR station or even shorter from the local line.
there is a 24 hour convenience store nearby too. If you're hungry at night, there is a takoyaki store just a little bit further from the convenience store where you can try out Osaka Takoyaki!

love my stay here! will stay here again when i go back to Osaka!

Room Tip: i had a solo room. i think they have more solo rooms than 2+. so book early if you have company!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank snowkinz
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 14, 2013

it's not located in the prime tourist area but very close to the train (right in front)
it's a budget hotel, so no free breakfast (only tea and coffee at the lobby) and they offers cleaning service once per week, just let the reception know you need your room clean before 10am.

the lobby is quite spacious, with sofas, TV. they also have rental locker (100 yen, return when you take out your bags), coin laundry and dryer. there's only one elevator and quite small. only fit a few people and their bags at the same time.

the room is surprisingly spacious for its price. i've been in much smaller room, especially in Japan and Hong Kong. the room i stayed in has one single room and a lot more space left wo walk around. they even have desk and small armchair. the bath room is quite compact though. im an asian woman so i have no problem with it.

there're no closet, buy they do have hooks and hangers for you coat by the door. one TV with japanese channels, one heater, one air-con and a few electrical outlet (110 v / flat shape plug)

since the hotel is very close to the train / underground and every room has a window, it's quite a but noisy at night. but the train stop after midnight, and closing the window and curtains helps a lot.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 28, 2013

非常骯髒
服務態度非常差

When I arrived the man gave me a room was uncleaned. There was rubbish everywhere and the toilet was very dirty, much more than a public toilet. I told him at the reception and he just said "well, they will clean it soon" and didn't even appalogized.
I asked if he could recommend me some public bath or hotspring near by, he just said "no" but I actually saw several on my way. And also I asked about the transportation, he said “you just asked at the station”.
It was the worst service I had ever encontered in Japan. The room was dirty and creepy. And one can easily find room that is much cheaper and nicer than this one nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Yuchinli
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed in the dormitory room as a young solo traveller. Only two/three of us in a 6-person room, which is equipped with a toilet and a shower. Amenities are provided. As somebody else mentioned, you can hear the trains passing by but it isn't loud. The staff answered my questions but they often gave me an odd look which made me feel like I was being somewhat annoying (rather uncomfortable). I also had a misunderstanding with the owner about using the luggage storage lockers. I had asked a member of staff about keeping my luggage there overnight (and repeated my question to make sure) while I was away and she repeatedly said it was alright. When I came back to retrieve my luggage, I bumped into the owner and got told off sternly, which was not a good experience. I'd say the room's a good place especially for the price, but be cautious in terms of communication and check with the owner instead of the staff for "major issues" to avoid anything unpleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jessicang6
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I tried to find one room for 5 person several site in Osaka and finally I found Chuo Selene.
I had stayed in dormitory here with my other 4 friends. The room quite large, cleanliness and near the subway.
Everything was good but after I checked in in the night, I just known that we have to prepare the sheet,blanket and pillow cover by ourselves. This is the first budget hotel that I have to do these things.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BlueRaccoon1412
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I went here with other three girls, so we rent a dorm room. The dorm room is supposed for 6 people, but it's not peak season so we're having a blast for living in that room. The room is pretty spacious and has one toilet, one bathroom, and has a hairdryer!!! We can hear train is coming, but not that loud. Shin-imamiya station is only 3 minutes walking anyway from the hotel.

The hotel is side by side with Chuo hotel. At first, I was making mistake by going in to Chuo hotel, then it turned out Chuo Selene is just next to Chuo hotel. Chuo Selene is a new hotel, so it's really clean and convenient. It's near 7-11 (convenient store) too!!

There's a kitchen on the first floor, we can use it for free. We can also borrow iron, iron table, water heater, and several appliances if needed for free. We get free hotel slipper, and towels too. Hm...what else?? I really think that this hotel is really cheap for that facility XD

by adding 200Yen, we can get 2 croissants and a soup every morning. But I don't recommend this. Better to buy breads at 7-11 nearby. In the first floor, there's laundry machine too. Only 200Yen for washing and 100Yen for drying. Very cheap!! And not to mention, there's a locker too. So if you've already check out and want to spend your day in Osaka while waiting your flights, you can put your luggage here at ease. Only 100Yen. But the size is normal size. I saw someone with a very big suitcase that can't fit in the locker, but the staff was kindly put the luggage inside the staff room.

I'll definitely comeback to this hotel if I go to Osaka!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family