“Budget for a reason”

Ranked #85 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
London
“Budget for a reason”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

While travelling all around Japan, we were delighted to find accommodation that cost us only around £17 each a night for a twin room, but if given the choice I would have paid double to go anywhere else, in retrospect.

It may have been because we went there after having been hotel-hopping through Japan, which is notoriously clean, efficient and generally pleasant, but our experience was pretty much just disappointment after disappointment. When we arrived, we were greeted immediately by a frantically retreating oriental cockroach. We blocked up its exit with our complimentary towels and weren't bothered again by them.

The showers are on the first floor, and we stayed on the eighth floor. It was a little embarrassing to have to navigate sleepily through the lobby and elevator in towels or robes every time we wanted to wash. They do have a bath, but women are only allowed inside it during their allocated hours, of which there are only three a day. Men get seven hours a day. The bath is small and far hotter than an onsen - in my opinion too hot to be comfortable at all.

I ignored the other warnings that this hotel was noisy, located by a train station, assuming that with my earplugs I could sleep through the 5am trains. I couldn't. On days we hadn't been hiking through the sun for hours, I could only manage four or so hours of sleep. I got quite ill one day towards the end of the trip and so elected to stay in and rest while my friend visited Hiroshima, but the noise from the station and from everyone else in their rooms set my nerves so on edge that I think I would have recovered better hiking through the heatwave with him.

Good points are obviously the price, if you are a skilled sleeper, which I am not. The hotel is located so as to be easy to reach many surrounding places. It is a few stops to central Osaka, and two minutes away from a Shinkansen line, so very very easy to hop over to Kyoto, Nara, Kobe, Hiroshima, which is what drew us there initially. The actual location, however, is really not very nice, with one of Japan's highest concentrations of homeless people. I'm not sure if we were just unlucky in our choices, but we also found the nearby restaurants to be pretty unpleasant too, uncharacteristic of the country. If you're hoping to be saved by the comfort of a chain restaurant, you're out of luck as well, with the nearest such places being half an hour's walk away.

All in all, unpleasant. Uncharacteristic of Japan in many ways, and an unfair representation. If you can afford it, go somewhere else. I recommend somewhere like Toyoko Inn for cheap accommodation in Osaka. Quiet, cheerful, almost as cheap, and there are a few locations to choose from.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zoe N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melaka, Malaysia
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed there in June 2013 for the 2nd time. This time instead of a solo room, I went for a double room. I requested for the Japanese style bed but got the western bed instead. I was disappointed, but after a long day, I wasn't up for lugging my luggage out and asking for a change.

Room, bed & facilities:

The building is old, but yet the room kept clean and comfortable. I'm a budget traveler and I'm used to sharing bunk beds in a hostel, so I was very happy to find a place where I can pay the same amount of money for a hostel bunk bed and yet have my own room here in Chuo. You get your own TV and fridge, but bathroom facilities are still shared.

Location:

The location is rather perfect as well. There's a subway station 1 minute's walk away and a train station where you can reach directly from the Kansai International Airport about 5 minutes' walk away.

Staff/Service:

There's a younger guy when I checked in who seemed fair less approachable than the older man who seems to be on night shift. The language barrier might have been at fault here. The older staff member whom we interacted with however was really friendly and helpful, much like most Japanese service staff we've encountered in this country, despite having some difficulties getting some messages across.

Overall, I love this place and I cannot imagine where else I would stay in Osaka while travelling on a budget!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank qjwong
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel was booked by my family and I was just tagging along at the last minute, thus I did not have a say when they chose the hotel.

The location probably is the selling point of this hotel. It is only one subway station away from the busiest part of town, Namba. The subway station was only a 3 minutes walk and near by was the Nankai train from airport and JR train from airport and around the city loop.

I requested an en-suite Japanese style room. Thought the rest was twin room with shared bath.

The lobby was tiny with only 4-5 seater in the "dining" area. Though coffee and tea was complimentary and used of pc was complimentary too.

My room was big with very thin mattress. Luckily this room was meant for twin so I had two single size mattresses and I just staged them on top of each other.

The air condition was working well, though there weren't anything in the refrigerator. Amenities was the body shampoo and shampoo. Very basic but they did provide bath towels, face towels and slippers!

My room was clean and the bathroom with a bath tub was clean too though it is pretty run down

The only bad things about the room was too noisy. We could hear the train every time the train went by. It started operate again at 5am in the morning. Thus some of us did not get a very good sleep. I could also hear people walk along the corridor !

My Japanese told me that the area where this hotel is located was "unsafe"
Well, nothing really bad happened to us except we saw a few drunk men.

Although the Wifi service was complimentary but it wasn't strong enough to make calls. The room rate was extremely cheap though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank VanessaMunYee
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed there on November 2012 for 5 nights and enjoyed it every single day. The staff are nice...though some staff no too fluent in English...
What you see in the room picture is what you get...the room is simple...clean...me myself like the japanese room better (i was staying in single Japanese room and twin western room).
Free coffee/tea every morning...shampoo and soap available...
Location is the best factor...in walking distance of 3 railways...Nankai...JR...and subway..
I will stay here again if i visit Osaka again...

Room Tip: in cold weather...room with tatami will be nice...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima, Japan
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is big and have japan public bath. The staff are very kind and English speak. They also free coffee for us every morning thank you Chuo hotel The hotel can be reach by 2 minutes walk from the Shin-Imamiya Station. So it is a little noisy all the time and if you dont like to stay in quite area is not a good choice for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sam1234288
Nonthaburi, Thailand
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Near JR and Subway (Dobutsuenmae exit 8.) There is a family mart around hotel. Each floor is a toilet for femal. I think it's not enough. There are 3 shower room at the first floor. The bed room small clean but there is some smell.

Room Tip: Hotel is located near a train & subway station. To avoid the noisy from train. You can request t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank youneverwalkalone555
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We booked two rooms this march and I loved this hotel! Easy access to JR line subway, convenient stores are 2-3 minutes by foot and a tourist information centre just located outside the hotel(very very friendly).

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family