“Worst Hotel in Japan with the Most Amazing View”

Hotel Osaka Baytower
Ranked #34 of 298 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Worst Hotel in Japan with the Most Amazing View”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This "hotel" was arguably the most uncomfortable hotel I have ever stayed. The price was over priced for the rooms. The "beds" are nothing more than sharp metal frames with a metal spring mattress on top. No box spring, just a mattress. An unbelievably uncomfortable mattress. The room smelled faintly of cigarettes. The bathroom was cramped and yellowed with mildew. But honestly, the view was the best view from a hotel I have ever had. It was breathtaking. We toured the whole of Japan, and Baytower's view was by far the best. But those beds.. I cannot stress again how atrocious they are. If only the beds were more comfortable I would have rated this place 5-stars, no matter how tired and dank the interior. As it was, we went on our honeymoon, and prepaid for the room for 3 mights. After 2, I could not take it any more. Upon waking up with tremendous back pain (I'm 26 and in excellent shape) we left a full day early. And money was extremely tight for this trip for us. So wasting $275 for a night was a serious blow. Instead, we went and slept on benches back in Tokyo. SO much more comfortable. I wish I was joking, but I'm serious. Being on the streets was more comfortable than those beds.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Amber S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The purpose of my Osaka trip was for pleasure and I found the hotel through a friends recommendation on his website. I got a great price on the hotel room, but would've preferred to pay for to stay some where a little more exciting.

Bentencho is located on the west side of Osaka, a 4-5 station stop away from the city center of Umeda. I didn't think it would be such a big deal, but in hindsight living away from the city prevented me from any midnight or early morning walks and watching the real Japanese nightlife.

Another disappointment was not having wifi within the hotel. Not having a mobile phone, the best communication method for me was my trusty wifi iPad to communicate with people and plan my itinerary. Unfortunately, the hotel had no wifi access (either paid or unpaid) causing me to go back to the communication stone age and use a calling card to coordinate with people.

But other than those two issues, the hotel was great. They provided the normal awesome Japanese quality service and everything was very clean but slightly old. Oh, there was no gym in the hotel either...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank edjjhsu
Kobe, Japan
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The main thing about this place is the views. They're amazing. Whichever direction your room is facing you'll have a great view you could sit and gaze at for half an hour. Another great thing about this hotel is the location, right by a major JR and subway station. However the rooms themselves are not great. They feel old and are in need of renovation, but as with most Japanese hotels they are perfectly clean.

There's nothing in the immediate area but it's easy to get to all the major sites. I'd say if you can get a good deal and don't mind being out of the main area, you'll enjoy this place if just for the views!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank max736
Cape Town
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The view is the main point here - it was an incredible view of the city from up on the 50th floor. The hotel was also conveniently located right by a subway station which made things a lot easier. The room was not top class, but this was compensated for by the view. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable, again with a great view in both directions (harbor, or city view).

I would say that the hotel is mildly overpriced for what you are getting, but we still enjoyed staying here very much.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdviceTripper
Doncaster
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Our reason for staying at this hotel was our daughter was working at Universal Studios Japan, we wanted to visit her and this was the nearest hotel that we could find to USJ. Our success in choosing hotels for ourselves in the past had been mixed so we were a little apprehensive about what we would find. We needn’t have been. Our transfer from the airport by ‘Airport Limousine’ (coach) was impeccable. We were dropped at Tempozan (where the Ferris wheel and the aquarium is) and we asked a man at the little coach depot box how we could get to our hotel. He directed us to Osakaco underground station. When we arrived there we found the station to be up a big flight of stairs and because we had loads of luggage (mainly the shipping order from our daughter), we decided to take a taxi as they were parked just across the road.

Arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly hotel commissionaire who helped us into the hotel with our bags and to the desk. She was really friendly and was very interested in the reason for our visit. She had become a friend for the remainder of our visit and continued to greet and talk to us each time she saw us. We regret not asking her name.
Check in was very smooth and fast and the commissionaire loaded our bags onto a trolley and took them up to our room. Arriving at the room she showed us in and started to bring our bags in. I attempted to carry the heaviest bags in but she insisted on bringing them in herself. I offered a tip but she would not accept it – I found out later that it is not the custom to expect tips in Japan.

Our room, 4609 must have had the best view in Osaka. Everything was impeccably presented. Equipment included a kettle/flask, 2 cups, fridge, hairdryer and a curious toilet seat that would also wash your bum! (We didn’t gather enough courage to try this). Also in the room were slippers and robe. Each day the maid replaced these, along with all towels whether we had used them or not. She also changed the bedding and cleaned the room daily, leaving us a little note each day to inform us that she had cleaned it.
The hotel was convenient for both JR Trains and the ‘Underground’ stations. Each was within five minutes walk from the hotel, mainly under covered walkways. We had purchased a ‘JR Pass’ whilst in England – you cannot buy one if you are already in Japan so we found the easy access to be very convenient. The hotel was also convenient for shops, restaurants and the Post Office, which we needed to get cash from the cash machine.

During our stay we climbed Mt Fuji. We told the receptionist at the desk that we would not be in our room that night because we would be waiting for the sunrise on Fuji. When we returned the following late afternoon, our commissionaire and all of the reception staff congratulated us – it felt wonderful.

We did not try the food at the hotel because our daughter and her friends insisted on taking us to different places that she had been to during her five-month stay. I am sure that this would also have been impeccable though it seemed to be fairly expensive.
This was a fantastic experience which we hope to repeat. We would change nothing about the travel or hotel. We would encourage anyone to visit Japan. The people are so kind and helpful and we loved every minute of our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill_Maltby
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed August 28, 2009

This is the third time in Japan. I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I chose this hotel because Ithink that the hotel room would be big and it is cheaper compare to other hotels in the same grade. The room that I booked was Semi-double type for two people. The size of the room was 22 sq. m. which was okay but the bed was so small, only 140 cm in width. We can only stayed there for two nights and then upgrade to the standard twin room which was a bit bigger by pay 4620 yens more per nights. I found out later that the hotel website will get the lowest price, alot lower! The best thing about this hotel was that the view of the hotel was very nice. I don't konw about the food because we didn't eat there. The lcation was also good, there are JR and subway station nearby. However, ther aren't any attraction nearby in the walking distance.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family