“Exceptional business hotel in great location”
Review of Dotonbori Hotel

Dotonbori Hotel
Ranked #8 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Singapore
“Exceptional business hotel in great location”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We have stayed several times at Dotonbori Hotel, most recently in April 2012. The hotel has an excellent location only minutes away from the famous neon lights around Dotonbori. The hotel is also very affordable. We usually make this our final stay on our Japan travels whenever we need to catch a morning flight out from Kansai airport.

You will get a small but spotlessly clean room. There are also many great extras including free internet, free international calls, free laptop rental, free bicycle rental and much more.

The hotel is a standard Japanese business hotel but clearly one with a big heart.

We will come back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Swedish_Expat
道頓堀ホテル, フロント at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
We will appreciate that you always choose Dotonbori Hotel.
We are thinking that Guest review is most important for us to realize customers satisfaction.
Did you take a photo of neon lights?It must be good memories.
It was designed for player which participate in Olympics in Tokyo in 1970.

If you have chance to next stay,we hope that you spend superb staying period in Dotonbori Hotel more than you expected.
We are looking forward to see you then.

Front desk:Kenji Sakamoto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I recently had a 2 night stay at the Dotonbori hotel. The location was great, with very clear instructions provided on their website. Located very near Namba station in osaka, with the aid of the station maps it only took me a short while to make my way from the Nankai station to exit 25, then another 3 minutes walk to the hotel, on the quieter end on Dotonbori Street. The rate I got in advance was around 7000 yen per night for a single room which was great value.

Check in was straight forward, the reception staff speaking great english, and I was welcomed with a nice hot towel. The only negative part of my room experience was that I hadn't specified non-smoking, and the room had a very strong cigarette smoke smell. There are only a few non smoking rooms, and as I was only staying two nights I didn't see if I could be moved. I kept the window open as much as I could, maybe I gave people nearby a free show.

As everyone else has mentioned there is so much to se, do and eat near the hotel, it is great. It is also convenient to rail network. As I had a JR pass I was able to walk underground from exit 25 to the JR station to get onto the Osaka loop line, and also to get to shin-osaka when I was leaving via the shinkansen. There are many guides and resources available in the hotel lobby.

The room had a LAN cable, but I had a small wifi router with me, so I was able to connect to the hotel intranet via wifi, which was convenient on my phone.

I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify non-smoking in advance. Osaka seemed to be the worst city in Japan for smoking, w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Marc B
道頓堀ホテル, フロントデスク at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a comment. We're glad you had a wonderful time with us. We're sorry that we couldn't provide you with a non-smoking room. But, overall you seemed to have a great experience in Namba, Osaka. We appreciate your positive comment. Good Bye.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Perfect location - right near Dotonbori Street where you can eat, eat, eat! Easy walk from the station. Very clean rooms, but as always in Japan, the rooms are small. The bathroom was tiny, and there was no window, but was very clean. Lots of extras and great value for money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheMelbourneHolli
道頓堀ホテル, フロントデスク at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2012
Thank you very much for your staying with us.
We would appreciate your review.
We hope that you got excellent memory during stay period.
Where did you go in Osaka?
Now,cherry blossom are in full bloom in Japan.
Japanese cherry blossom is worth seeing many times.
If you have chance to visit in April,we recommend that you go and see them.
We look forward to see you then.

Front desk:Sakamoto
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed April 2, 2012

The best about this hotel is they provide free 5 mins idd phone call to whom you want to call and its not limited to just once in a day but whenever there is no other user! They also provide free coffee/tea vending machine in the lobby, free rental of laptop for your room, free wifi and also free printing service at the lobby. They also give you a folder of information about the hotel and its surrounds amenities. They also provide free rental of sterilizer, buggy, bathtub, playpen, cot, etc!!! Amazing!!!!!!! Almost everything is FREE!!!!!! Also very very important thing are they hire people who can speak English, Chinese and even korean too!!!!Staffs were very friendly and helpful especially when I lost my iphone is Universal studio, they laise with them and manage to help me to locate it! Thank You very much especially Mr Lee the receptionist that help me.

Very convenient location to Namba subway station and abt 10-15 mins walk from Namba Nankai Railway. There are many restaurants in the area and shops aplenty.

For the price paid, you are just steps away from where all the action in Osaka is! The room was small but good enough for us. Toilet is very compact but exceptable! Had a shower over a mini bath tub. Hotel also provide extra toiletries kit for women.

I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone and I will absolutely stay there if I plan to go OSAKA again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaynaKoh
道頓堀ホテル, Front staff ishii at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2012
We are sorry it took so long to to thank you for your kind mail, we are overwhelmed with your
mail, phone call, free coffee, in the lobby, wi-fi in the room are free,which can make you trip happy and comfortable.
we are very happy to have known that our 4 staffs speak good command of chinese, korean.
So You have got more information about trip advice.
As for our loation, it is nine to get verybody recognition, which gives you to best spot, (kobe,
kyoto, nara)
Finally, we told Mr. Lee about thing which you lost your phone in Univesesal studio, He manages to help, Mr lee gives you best regards to you.
we hope you come to japan, We are waiting for your stay in our hotel again.
Manila
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I made reservations online for a triple-sharing room via their website and no down payment was needed. I booked months in advance and got a special discounted rate. Opted for the no breakfast included since it was part of our itinerary to try out different places to eat and the entire stretch of Dotombori is just perfect for that.

Since Namba Station is a huge station, it took a while before we got to EXIT 25. If you have heavy luggage with you, I suggest you use the elevator exit at the Pachinko place you see right before reaching the staircase of Exit 25 (at first glance it doesn't really seem like the elevator will take you up to the outside streets). A 5-minute walk will get you to the Dotombori Hotel after passing by numerous ramen & gyoza houses, sushi bars, yakiniku places and dozens of vending machines. Just print a map provided on the official hotel website and you should be fine.

The rooms are of typical Japanese hotel sizes. Do not expect anything big. Since we booked for the triple sharing, which is the twin room plus extra bed, we didn't have much space to walk around and we had to take turns opening our luggage but it wasn't that bad. We managed to maximize the space by tucking in the unnecessary stuff like stools and garbage bins underneath the dresser and placing the trolleys inside the cabinets. But if you're booking the twin room, then space should be just enough and you would be able to open up your luggage and be able to walk around. As expected, the bathroom was also of standard Japanese hotel size but nevertheless, sparkly clean and complete with shampoo, conditioner, bath soap, toothbrushes and bathrobes. The room was also presented in a very neat and clean way. Too bad internet was not available via wifi and only by 1 LAN cable. The lobby however had a number of PCs available for use, with internet and a printer too! That was really convenient because I'd usually google the addresses of places to go and just print out the maps, and also for online check in and printing of boarding pass. The lobby also had very useful English guides and maps on where to go for shopping, eating, museums and the like. One more thing I loved about this hotel is the free drinks made available in the lobby. I'd always treat myself with a cup of hot tea and coffee in the morning.

Universal Studios Japan is accessible via short train ride. What is great about the location of the hotel is that it is right on the stretch of Dotombori itself. You can never run out of options for dining and snacking! The night life is just a few corners away! And another few more blocks away is Shinsaibashi where shopping is just crazy. You can either take the subway (1 station away) but we just walked (and shopped) our way to Shinsaibashi and took another walking route back and didn't even notice we were back in Dotombori already.

The hotel staff was kind enough to keep our luggage after checkout hours since our flight wasn't until night yet. To go back to Kansai Airport, we took the Namba Nankai Railway Airport Express which has a stop at Namba Station but the platform for that was located at the farther end of the huge station so give yourself a good 20-30 minutes to get to the platform if you start from the hotel, with heavy pull-trolley luggage with you as you have to find escalators and elevators to assist you instead of the nearest stairs.

I'd definitely stay here again when visiting Osaka! I hope they keep up the great service!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wireless_md
道頓堀ホテル, フロント at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay with us.

We certainly enjoyed reading your review.
The review is not just about us, but it has so much information about area around the hotel.
Your tips will surely help our future guests to make the most of their trip.

We would likt to thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back to the Dotonbori Hotel.

Reception
Orio
Reviewed March 29, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is clean and by far the most spacious hotel we've stay. The staff are very friendly and happen to bump in to an activity, a Osaka hamburger party hosted by the hotel, for FREE. The hotel is also conveniently situated near by area for food and shopping. Last, but not least, the staff are able to speak Chinese, English and Korean, which is more easy to communicate with them and ask their recommendations on places of interest. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2011
2 Thank maclaren_sg
道頓堀ホテル, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Dotonbori Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Thank you for leaving us a comment.

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and
had a memorable time.
It’s also great that you joined our Osaka burger
party, which we only have on Tuesdays.
We hope it will help you to have good memory of travel of Japan.

We all staff are looking forward to serving you again.
Please take care.

Dootnbori hotel
Hamada
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Tripadvisor reviews were spot on for this hotel. For the price paid, you are just steps away from where all the action in Osaka is! Very convenient location to Namba subway station and abt 10-15 mins walk from Namba Nankai Railway. They are both very easy to find. There are MANY restaurants in the area and shops aplenty.

The big plus point about this hotel is all the little extras that previous reviewers have mentioned. Loved the free coffee/tea vending machine in the lobby, free 5 min phone calls home per day, PCs with printer, free rental of laptop for your room, free wifi, extra toiletries kit for women. They also give you this folder of information about the hotel and its surrounds (places to eat, shop, things to do etc). If you have babies/little ones they also provide free rental of sterilizer, buggy, bathtub, playpen, cot, etc!!! Amazing!

The room was small but good enough for us. We could actually fit in 2 regular size luggages without any problems. Toilet is like a compact cubicle you step into! Had a shower over a bath tub. If you are 6 ft tall or more, you may have to hunch over when you shower as the ceiling is low. My only complaint was that the toilet had a strange smell - like that of stagnant water. The green tea deodorizing spray which was in the room didn't seem to help. We were too tired to move so we put up with the smell each time we needed to use the toilet.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would we stay here again? Absolutely!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple