All reviewsbreakfast staffdotonbori areaperfect locationfamily roomthe breakfast areawalking distancebottled watersuperior roomrestaurants and shoppingbreakfast was includedair conditioninghotel is locatedtop floorfront officechoose this hotelsubway stationcoin laundry
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed January 19, 2009

• Stayed: January 2009
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed January 16, 2009

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed October 9, 2008

agree with the amazing location just metres from the hub of downtown strolling - the world's ?longest covered shopping arcade, the 2km Shinsaibashi-suji, and the similar Dohtenbori and canal. Shops seem to open from around 10am to around 930pm - maybe different on weekends, and you'll find typically 10,000 strollers around 530pm, thinning to only a few thousand around closing time - great people watching, shopping including 100 yen (around $1) stores, and places to eat.

Maybe avoid the 'all you can eat for Y1900 male, Y1250 female' or somesuch Sushi place in the middle of the mall popular with Korean tourist groups - very limited choice and quality, we felt obliged to wade through 30 odd plates just to get payback, but didn't enjoy it.

Only negatives - as non-smokers we didn't like the stench of cigarette smell in our room (so book a non-smoking room in advance), which was tiny (with 2 feet to spare on 2 sides of the double bed against two walls + ensuite bathroom/corridor) but quiet enough - only heard a couple of sirens the first night. And I hadn't expected the late-night bar action in the facing street which attracted young Western men looking for Japanese girls, some of which were for sale, including I guess the one seated outside the hotel who called 'hello' to me as I was returning. Despite being slightly disturbed by this, as it was Japan, we never felt unsafe.

we paid around US$100 per night breakfast included which was OK - as far as I could tell we were the only westerners in the hotel which had lots of Koreans staying.

In all - recommended for the memorable location just metres from 2 days worth of shopping !

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ultimobo
Reviewed May 24, 2008

The main attraction of this hotel is its amazing location which is in the heart of the action. The train station a few minutes walk from the hotel. The room itself was small but very clean and comfortable. Highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TinySydney
Reviewed January 16, 2008

We arrived in OSAKA at Kansai and made our way to NAMBA STATION; it's not the closest but it is the easiest. We got in a cab that was one of 8763723475 others we could have hailed. It took longer than desired but it was very close.

When you don't have your bags it's an eight minute walk, and there is a closer station but it is not on the airport train line (5 minutes walk is Nipombashi Station is the closest).

The Metro 21 Hotel is located on the DOTONBORI which is a famous haunt for food. In fact I ate so much around the hotel it was crazy. The hotel was just one block east of Dotonbori, that is in the club / red light district but don't let that put you off. The location is fantastic.

By day the place is a quiet area but by night it is a very busy area. it just swells with all the people. Bikes and people and cars mix it easy in the slow moving traffic.

The staff were helpful but the absence of a place to sit in the foyer at night was rather odd. The staff wh\ere very willing to either talk in English or at least try and if none of the above give maps and helpful tips via pen and map.

The room was a big as my wardrobe, but this is normal in Japan. The bed was against the wall and a small double. The bathroom was a lot like one you would find on a boat. It was like walking into a capsule. It had a short but very deep bath and the water pressure was excellent.

There was a RJ45 cable sticking out of the wall and there was free internet on tap if you have a laptop. The connection was VERY fast. I was downloading 3 mb per second in the morning but only almost 1 at night. Be warned the cable that is avaliable to you is about 9 inches long ONLY.

If you are an active anti-smoking activist.. don't go to Japan. The room had the scent of heavy cigarette users in the past. Smoking is very popular and is allowed everywhere.

Although I was travelling with my pregnant wife and 2 year old the staff offered no help with any bags when we arrived. All staff were courteous except when I asked for info to get a hire bicycle I was told to walk, instead of instructions on how to get to a bike shop.

When I asked for a small cot or fold out , the answer was NO and that the child is free. I alway travel with a little self inflating matters for this reason. The staff was very happy to supply extra pillows and towels without hesitation.

Breakfast was included and was really very excellent with a variety of foods avaliable. EXCELLENT...

There was nothing wrong with the hotel but there was also nothing REALLY fantastic. I rate this hotel as above medium but also very good location and value.

In Osaka do go on food benders as the area is famous for this and was easily achieved. There was plenty of shopping, food and drinking establishments everywhere around the hotel.

Metro 21 Osaka.

Julian (Sydney, Australia)

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank yogi_syd