“Not the best value in Osaka”

Hotel Monterey Osaka
Ranked #40 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Sydney, Australia
“Not the best value in Osaka”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here for one night in December 2012 after spending 3 nights at the Hotel Monterey Grasmere Osaka. A mistake on our behalf led to us having to check in here for one night after some confusion with our booking.

Compared with the Grasmere (and all other hotels we stayed at during our trip) this was by far the least value for money. The hotel had no wifi (which was strange as the Hotel Monterey Kyoto and Grasmere did), the room was quite small, and the walls between rooms were so thin that we could hear quite clearly what was going on in the next room from ours - causing a terrible nights sleep.

While it was quite cheap - there is better value for money in alternative hotels in Osaka.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank kirstietwigg
monosa, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Hotel Monterey Osaka, responded to this review, May 21, 2017
Thank you very much for your staying at HOTEL MONTEREY OSAKA.
We would also like to say thank you for taking your valuable time to send us your sentiments.
We will further endeavor to fulfill the expectations that you have had for our hotel.

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Best thing about this stay was the price - great value.

Hotel has an old European ambience and style. Not very Japanese, but for me it was fine.

Near to Osaka JR station. Next to Granvia and Hearton, this hotel is the next closest to the station. Lots of eateries and departmental stores near the station - really convenient and fun to wander around.

breakfast was at a discounted price (vouchers issued at check in). no egg station. Selection was not very wide, but I would say is adequate for the price (1,3XX¥).

Amenities in room were good. Full toiletries provided, though hotel was stingy with towels (only one set).

Room floors not carpeted, so has a slightly 'hard' feel to what would otherwise be a more comfortable stay.

Overall, I would say great value for money.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Makaner

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Conveniently located hotel near Osaka train station. It is quite confusing finding it though and some other tripadvisor reviews don't help. For example, the reviewer who says it's exit 30 and the reception on 22nd floor is either mistaken or talking about another Monterey hotel. Ok, here is how to get there. When you come out of the ticket gates, look for the Sakurabashi gate exit. Once you get there, cross the road to the west station building. Walk straight on past various eateries until you reach the end. Exit the building and cross the road and walk straight on. The hotel will be further on to the left. Reception is on 8th floor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mayan K

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Amazing. The location is great - Dotonbori is about 5 minutes walk. It's crazy - lots of great restaurants, shopping and bars. Very touristy but kitch and friendly.
It's a bit confusion at the train station - it's massive. but go to exit 30. The reception is on floor 22- i think! it's also a bit confusing.

The hotel itself is very nice. it's clean, and nicely decorated. It had the biggest rooms I had during my Japan trip. The bathroom was extra large.

there is a great supermarket under the hotel. great for breakfasts!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lauren s

SiliconValley
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel is kind of difficult to find if you were coming from the Osaka station. It is about a 15 min walk. There are only a few restaurants nearby (within 10min walk) though there are two convenience stores within a 5 min. The room was small but clean. The hotel feels like a small US downtown hotel from the '30s that may see in movies or TV shows. The wireless internet does not work.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Makati
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My bestfriend and I stayed here for overnight last July and we really loved our stay here! It's just a 5-minute walk from Osaka station's Sakurabashi exit. Just get out the ticket gates, make a quick right, walk straight and walk pass an array of shops/shopping mall and you'll find the magnificent structure on your left. We were worried at first that we won't find it, however we were surprised how easy it was to find it.

The front desk agents were nice enough to keep our luggage as we went around the city when we arrived early morning. There was no internet that time however it wasn't such a big deal for the hotel staff were nice enough to help us go around the city.

The room is spacious in Japan standards and very comfortable! I love the bathroom as this is considered huge already in Japan hotels. The design is very unique and homey.Would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Waldorf, MD
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I recently (25 May to 2 June 2012) stayed at the Hotel Monerery Osaka. I was in Japan to visit my son who is attending the Osaka University of Economics as part of a study abroad program. The hotel is very close to two main train stations...the Osaka Station and the Umdea Station. It was also where several of the metro/subway lines intersect so this is a great area to stay since it's at a major transportation hub. My son met me at the Kansai Airport and we took a train from the airport to the Osaka Station. Very convenient. (There is a bus service that also goes directly from around the corner from the hotel to the airport and I took that upon my departure. It drops you off right in front of the departure terminal and was an even better way to go than by using the train.)
The hotel: It is a very nice hotel. It starts on the 8th floor of a 14 storey building so you have to take an elevator from the lobby of the building up to the hotel level. I had booked my flight and reservation via Travelocity and found the price to be excellent...a round trip flight from Washington, DC to Osaka, Japan with eight nights in a very good hotel in a great part of town for $2000.00. Registration was easy and they didn't even ask for a credit card for incidentals. The room was small by US standards and wish there was more storage space (there was one rather small wardrobe (no closet) but it was adequate. I found the bed very comfortable. The room was spotless. The bathroom was of decent size and had good shower gel, body wash and other goodies like tooth brushes, tooth paste, brushes, razors, etc., all individually wrapped. Plenty of towels. The room overlooked the "courtyard" with the chapel. A nice view especially when there was a wedding going on. Although right across the street from train tracks, with the window closed and the inside wood shutter closed, I never heard the trains. The few times I asked the hotel staff for assistance (directions mostly) they were very helpful even printing out maps for me. The room had a hot water maker and tea (so if you want coffee, recommend you pack some instant) and had a "minibar" fridge which I used to store drinks/snacks. There was also an iron/ironing board. There is a television but all programing is in Japanese...no English or other foreign language programing. Since the hotel caters mostly to Japanese business persons and weddings I guess there isn't much call for foreign language programing. Would have liked to see some news in English (BBC, CNN International or something like that.) They also had pajamas on the bed but never used them. On the hotel registration/check-in level are a couple of high end restaurants and a beautiful chapel that was either taken stone-by-stone from Belgium or was a replica of a chapel from Belgium. The chapel is used for weddings and I observed several weddings in progress during my stay. I didn't try the restaurants because they were rather pricy plus I was out touring with my son most of the time so usually got back to the hotel late at night. I did try the breakfast buffet one day but it was pretty expensive (about $22.00) and a lot of the food items were for the Japanese taste (not a bad thing but I was not familiar with most of the food). There was a lot of selection in the breakfast buffet but would recommend that instead of doing the breakfast buffet you go to the nearby "combi" (convenience store...just down the street near the walkway that leads to the train station) and buy a sandwich or something for breakfast. I would really have liked a fitness center. The hotel is smack in the middle of Osaka in a very busy business and shopping area. Would have liked some cardio machines and some weights. (Fortunately I walked hours each day touring so got my exercise that way.) Not a conducive area to go out for a run.
Overall, this was a very nice hotel in a great location with a friendly staff. I would stay here again and enjoyed my stay. Improvements: Add a fitness center. Add at least one English TV news network to the TV offerings. Add instant coffee in room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo