“If you want convenient n cheap location and care less about mattress, this is for you”
Review of New Osaka Hotel

New Osaka Hotel
Ranked #226 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 3, 2013

For some reasons I want to challenge myself with a cheap stay (given I would stay here for 2 days this time), thus made it to here given the review @ the Japanese site wasn't too bad, with GREAT location.

First the location. Love it as it's just couple steps from the subway exit. JR station is 5 minutes away. Seriously I've NEVER been to such convenient hotel in Japan. The subway can put you to all the shopping districts (Umeda / Namba) in minutes. Whole route to / from subway / JR stations have escalators except there's only 1-way escalator to the lobby on the 2nd floor, which is okay in the morning (as it heads down) but could be sucks if you leave in the evening (when the escalator heads up). Maybe ask the hotel to change the direction for you?

Then the hotel itself. This was older than I expected. Just celebrated its 35th anniversary, the hotel seemed to have its floor corridors renewed. Its owner seemed to have care less about its renovation plan. One truth though, as many said, that it showed no dirtiness but just tiredness. Rooms were equipped unusually w/ wooden floor instead of carpets, which makes the room look cleaner indeed.

But the biggest drawback to me / my partner was the mattress / pillow, which might have not been changed since 35 years ago (kidding). It was shaped irregularly and could be hurtful to your weak back spine / shoulders.

For 2 persons 5000yen is really a bargain, but it has its drawbacks so if you don't mind them and have a tough back, enjoy the convenient location and good deal :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mikkol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Less than 5 minute walk from the Shin-Osaka JR train station, and a one minute walk from the subway station, this hotel offered a small but clean room. There was a cable to hook up my computer, and the Internet service was fast. The room also had a paper shredder. although near the train station, it was quiet. Not every one at the front desk spoke English, but when I had a question they found someone in the office to help me. For the price, I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank marykay877
mumbai india
Reviewed April 14, 2013

as another reviewer had said, don't be fooled by the word "new" the hotel is centrally located next to Osaka Shin station and the subway. the rooms are small, as all japanese hotels are, but the rooms are dated, and the furnishings leave a lot to be desired. no wifi, but cabled lan in the rooms. there is no english channels on tv, and the furniture and fittings remind me of the 1960s, very retro. same with the bathroom fittings. the lack of proper airconditioning makes it very uncomfortable to stay in. (I was in April 2013 when the weather was 13C outside, and the room was very stuffy, and i was told that the room airconditioning was on heating mode, and hence i could not control it to make it cooler.
the hotel staff are efficient, the breakfast is good, in the hotel restaurant.did not check for the other facilities. Lack of a wifi facility in the hotel was a big disappointment, but seemed to use the coffee shop on the opposite side, by standing outside the shop for free wifi.
would reconsider staying in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank rajivgagarwal

Travelers are raving about these Osaka hotels

Toronto, ON
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed in the New Osaka Hotel for a few nights during our trip to the Kansai region (関西).

Pros:
* Easy walking distance (less than 10 minutes) from/to the Shin-Osaka train station, which is a sort of pivotal point in reaching various major cities in the region via the high-speed train (Shinkansen/新幹線).
* Reasonably priced rooms and meals. Had the buffet-styled breakfast, mainly Japanese food served but also some western options, for only JPY1,000, something hard to turn down.
* Our room was quite clean and well-appointed.

Cons:
* Rooms generally very cramped. Expect little room left once two adults have settled in. Between wife and me we were able to only open one suitcase at a time. Doubt it’d work for families with kids. By the way, our room’s window opened to another building’s wall and I was even able to touch their bricks.

Overall we felt it was a well-functional hotel and duly served as a simple base for us to hop on and off the high-speed trains to check out the surrounding cities (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara, etc.). Rating: 3.0 out of 5.0.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AHokie
Oshkosh
Reviewed November 16, 2012

So close to the Station - no need for a car. Rooms were comfortable! Staff was very kind
I would stay here again if I get the chance to return to Osaka. Japan is an amazing country to visit - I would tell everyone to visit there at least once! I did not have time for a pool or fitness room so I am not sure if they have either

Room Tip: If you are traveling with two people - even if you are a couple - get a room with two beds!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Vicki K
Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I find our stay here so convenient since it was walking distance to Shin Osaka Station which was our primary reason of choosing this hotel.The location fits our purpose to really explore Japan which includes trips around Osaka,Tokyo,Hakone,Nara,Kyoto,Kobe,Hiroshima etc.The hotel itself offers basic amenities which is comfortable by Asian standard. They provided buffet breakfast, toiletries,and wi-fi connection which are classified as our basic needs.Convenient stores are walking distance from the hotel. There are so many restaurants ,food shops,bread and pastry stores with in the Shin Osaka Station. All our concerns during our stay was addressed by the hotel staffs. Over all I find my stay very satisfactory and will stay next time I visit Osaka and continue to explore Japan.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank esfranco48k
Singapore
Reviewed May 21, 2012

As we arrived late at Osaka and need to catch the Shinkansen early next morning, we only need a roof over our head for less than 12 hours. We chance upon this hotel and thought of taking the risks checking-in.

Location - Extremely convenient as it is a stone throw from Shin Osaka Station. Less than 10 minutes comfortable walk to the station from hotel.

Room - Miserably small. I am almost certain it is smaller than the normal sized Japanese room. I've showned the picture to my Japanese friends and they also agreed that it is abnormal to find such a compact size accomodation. I would have gone crazy (jail like feeling) if I need to sleep here for another night. Thank God, it was only 5 hours of sleep required.

Space - We had a standard check-in sized luggage bag each. At any time, you can only lay one of them on the floor while the other has to be shoved at the entrance resulting in difficulties opening the door. Also at any one time, one of us had to be seated on the bed in order to allow the other person move to the restroom.

Room window - I made a mistake by opening the window. Only later when I wanted to close them that I had difficulties closing it. As it was 1.30am and we were both exhausted, we left the window open and went to bed. I did not want the engineering staff to be here fixing it while the 2 of us are trying to sleep or worst, if they request us to move to another room!!! To avoid the morning sun, I hung a tower over the window. Fortunately it was a Saturday night, the traffic wasn't heavy, hence it was not too noisy for us to catch few hours of slept. Morale of the story, do not open the window!!!!!!

Breakfast - Complimentary. Nothing to shout about as it fills your stomach. I did not like it personally but was good, at least I did not need to rush looking for food elsewhere.

Facility - Did not explore as we were only here for few hours.

Wi-Fi - Complimentary which is great! Can't surf too long as you will be obstructing the other person from watching the TV!!!!

While waiting for checking-out, I realize the hotel had a tv publicizing the hotel, gosh, what you see in the marketing material and what you get eventually is extremely misleading. Those spacious room is obviously those "suite" but the normal room is miserable and never appear in the website or the marketing materials. Hence, please take a look at those pictures posted on tripadvisor for an objective decision making before you complete your credit card details!!!!

Will I be back again? Try not to unless if it is for 5 hours of sleep that I need before catching the Shinkansen! Hahahaha

Room Tip: Check the windows, preferably, don't open the window to avoid having problem closing them afterw...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple