“An American Expat's Realized Dream”

Video Game Bar Space Station
Ranked #4 of 80 Nightlife in Osaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Space Station is a place where you can enjoy old and new video games while drinking in a bar setting. While the majority of video game bars in Japan have some kind of seating charge, Space Station is very proud to allow free entry. Customers pay only for the drinks. Space Station has the following game machines: Atari 2600, Famicom, N.E.S., Genesis, Super Famicom, Super Nintendo, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Wii, and Wii U. Close to JR Namba station, as well as Namba subway station.* Owner's addendum: As Space Station climbs the TripAdvisor rankings thanks to the kind reviews of customers, new travelers are coming to Space Station with high expectations. I hope and believe that your expectations will be met when you visit but I have noticed that many patrons are surprised by the size of the bar. Keep in mind that Space Station is a small bar space where seating is limited with additional standing room at the bar counter. The bar is open every day from 7pm.
Reviewed December 28, 2013

When I was in grad school, my old gaming buddy and I talked about opening a place like this back in the states. We did some planning and looked into obtaining the necessary venue and licenses, but abandon the idea for other pursuits.

You can imagine my excitement when I saw an article about this on Reddit a few weeks before a long-planned trip to Japan. When I walked in, the patrons were mostly 20 - 40 year old tourists and expats, sipping retro gaming-themed mixed drinks (Doctor Mario). They had a well curated collection of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, and Dreamcast, as well as a couple couches with larger displays plugged into current-gen systems, and even an Oculus Rift!

The bar is bordered with classic video game boxes and other nostalgic objects. The lighting is perfect. They play chiptune and video-game themed music all night long, at a reasonable volume.

There are probably 6 or 7 different places you can sit down to play games. The owner has bartended there both nights I've gone. He's really helpful and down to earth. He is clearly a retro gaming enthusiast.

This cozy joint is a better implementation of a video game bar than I my friend and I ever dreamed of. I can't recommend this place highly enough. A perfect place to unwind after days of working or seeing the sights of Kansai, and a destination worthy of dedicated travel from nearby prefectures.

I wish the owner would create a venue like this in SF!

1  Thank mqlarson

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Amongst Tsutenkaku, Umeda Skybuilding, and Den-Den Town, this bar is the place to visit in Osaka.
The staff are warm, knowledgable, and helpful. The customers are a good mix of locals, expats, and tourists. The atmosphere is similar to going to a friend's house back in the day. Even if you go alone someone might invite you to a round of Mario Kart.

Japanese and US versions of every console from Nintendo are available with dozens of the most popular games. There are several TVs, a projector, and a private game room.
For anyone, there will be something that reminds you of your childhood.

Also, most drinks are around 500 yen!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I stopped in 2 different nights. We had a great time. It's a cozy bar, friendly staff and clientele, and lots of games to play. It opens late evening at 8pm. No food served in Space Station; Great burgers in the place next door.

1  Thank Chariot71226
Matt_Bloch, Manager at Video Game Bar Space Station, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Right on. Thanks for the positive review. It's true that Space Station doesn't have a food menu so it's fine to bring in your own food from other establishments. And Space Station is fortunate to have a few great places nearby where one can get carryout.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Seen this place on TripAdvisor while we were looking for things to do in Osaka. My friend and I visited both nights we stayed in Osaka and had an absolute ball. Spent a lot of time reliving my childhood memories on the Dreamcast, Sega Mega Drive & Nintendo 64 whilst drinking a few pints.

Really fun atmosphere, drinks prices are very reasonable and the owner is really knowledgeable about all of the games and consoles. He also has a Virtual Reality headset linked up to a laptop which I would HIGHLY recommend checking out

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Such a great place to have a drink, relax with friends, and also to meet new people.
Understandably hyped, but one of the few places that lives up to the rumors.
The clientele that it attracts are almost as diverse as the selections of games available here.
Also, the original drinks that they have here are out of this world.
King's Cup, anyone?
And did I mention the awesome (giggle-inducing) bathroom?
If there is one thing to complain about, it would be the lack of coat hangers.
Somebody can correct this, I hope?

Kind of crowded at times, but always enough room for one more, this place is cozy.
In fact, there is a often overlooked room in a alcove!
Nobody seems to make use of it much, but it's there.
Generally speaking there if always a healthy mix of locals and international visitors.
Of course, there are also some international locals as well, haha.
Finally, I really can't recommend this place enough.
Old game, new games, and everything in between.
Staff that makes you feel at home.
Anyway, there are other game bars in Osaka, but this is one that I can definitely recommend.
Kind of like finding a new place that quickly becomes a place you go all the time.
Awesome place!