Hotel Il Monte
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewsumeda stationfree coffeegreat locationlocated minutesroom doordvd playernight lifeumeda areahotel is cleanfood streetminutes walk awaylanguage barrierrooms are smallmain stationstayed here for nightswithin walking distancehankyu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2013

The hotel is located very close to Umeda station and JR Osaka station, with many restaurants around. Staff are nice and helpful. There is a 24-hours department store nearby so we can go shpping at anytime.

Rooms are relatively small and the light in the room is a bit dim. Many ladies at night near hotel may ask male guests for "services". May need to be aware if you have concern to this.

In overall, I am fine with the hotel as the location is good and the room is tidy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Keith W
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The hotel is close to Umeda/Osaka City JR and Metro. Good location, nice for shopping and food around. We requested for a triple-room but was given a double room + extra bed. The room was too small for accommodation of 3 ladies intending to do a lot of shopping there. We insisted that we had asked for a triple room and the manager eventually "up-graded" us to a triple room (which we supposed we had booked for). The staff could be more polite and friendly than they had been.
Do make sure that you have booked a "triple" for 3, the double-room is too small for extra bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thho
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Decent room size, very clean and very near to JR STATION. A bit confusing at first to locate the hotel. Try to gather information once you reached JR station, and they will show you the way plus the map. Staffs are very helping and polite. Recommend sushi place just besides the hotel. Small sushi bar, but the best we found in Japan so far!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bishibashi85
Reviewed April 14, 2012

An excellent moderately priced hotel, fair sized room and large bathroom, all amenities available. Breakfast was extra but well worth the cost - huge buffet with western and Japanese food. Free coffee and tea 24 hours. Good location near shops and the station - we based ourselves in Osaka for day trips by train to Kyoto and Nara and this worked very well. Staff very pleasant and security good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 187061Margaret
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Il Monte was recommended by Kayak and its price and location were the main factors in choosing this hotel with my friend. Even though I live in Japan, I'm always a little worried about staying in a Japanese-style hotel given I'm more accustomed to Western standards. This hotel did not disappoint me at all and I would gladly stay there again.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it's in a great location, but is not necessarily easy to find. Luckily I use an iPhone and was able to navigate our way from Umeda station to the hotel with relative ease. Once my friend and I got the hang of it, though, it's really very convenient. The building that houses the hotel is essentially in the heart of one of Osaka's nightlife areas. Admittedly, though, the gay area accounts for a large portion of this nightlife, though it is very low-key and would go unnoticed to the uninitiated. There are multiple shopping and dining venues within easy reach, frequented by locals. I always assume this to be a good thing. I did, however, dislike the ease of access to the hotel for non-guests. As noted in other reviews, the hotel occupies the 3rd to 9th(?) floors of the building, with elevator access available at street level to anyone. That was a little disconcerting, but Japan is notoriously safe, and this really wasn't *that* much of a concern.

My friend and I reserved a double room (two singles) and were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. Most Japanese hotel rooms are slightly larger than a postage stamp, but this room had plenty of room for luggage stowage as well as a desk area. The bathroom was quite large by Japanese standards. The ceiling in the shower area, though, was very low and I barely fit even though I'm just 5'8''. Anyone of above average height may have some trouble with the height of the shower fixtures and the low ceiling.

Our room faced the freeway and the busy intersection just below. The lights at night were beautiful and, despite what other reviews may say, we didn't hear any noise from the street nor from other rooms. Though, we were on the 9th floor so this may account for that.

My only complaint about the room was that the beds were a bit hard and the pillows were very thin. Otherwise, I thought the room was great.

The night of our arrival, I asked the front desk staff for a recommendation of a good okonomiyaki restaurant nearby. The staff were very helpful and directed us to a restaurant a few short blocks away. Their recommendation was amazing and we had the best okonomiyaki ever. Turns out this same place was recommended by a Japanese friend of mine, too, but we didn't know it at the time. Though, I'll warn you that English is not spoken at this hotel, so I'd recommend anybody looking to stay here have some working knowledge of Japanese or be really good at charades.

We did not partake in the breakfast that was available for about ¥1,000, but we did purchase discounted aquarium tickets through the front desk, which was a great idea.

Overall, this was a great stay for a weekend getaway. I'd definitely return and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: I think a room on a higher floor may alleviate some of the noise issues other reviewers have mentioned.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends