“A must do!”

Ranked #1 of 52 Spas & Wellness in Osaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Drawing on natural spring water, Osaka's Spa World is one of the largest hot spring complexes in the world, featuring themed rooms modeled after spas around the world and a water theme park on the roof.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Brisbane, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“A must do!”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was the most amazing experience. I have never been to a place like this before but would go back in a heart beat. The first time being naked with a bunch of stranger is so scary but you relax and enjoy the experience eventually. You can spend hours just lying around in Spa's, getting a massage or simply doing your hair with the hairdryer provided. There isnt much english signage so you just figure it out as you go.

Visited April 2014

• Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best place to start your Onsen experience! (+ comment on receptionists)”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Spa World is my first onsen experience. As I'm not used to being naked with others I was quite shy at first, but as I entered the beautiful area of the onsen (Asian theme for women in April) I can get used to the place really fast that I forgot being naked was new to me. The onsen area was really big like a small town, there's even a cafe where you can take a break from onsen and have drinks or ice cream (of course while you're still naked :D ) It is the biggest onsen I've seen so far.
I totally loved the place, me and my friends spent two hours there!

according to LoneTraveller999 about the receptionists:
it is true that most of them barely speak English, when I got in those I've met were nice to me.
It's only when we got out and my friend forgot her watch inside the logger area. We tried to ask if we can get in again, and there I think it's the same receptionist LoneTraveller999 met, the only response from her was "speak Japanese" with poker face... we almost got angry and gave up but then my friend ran into some Japanese teenagers that walked by and ask for her translation. After the Japanese teenager helped us talk to that receptionist, she just changed into an angel. Maybe it's just her nature to have such gaze like she's angry but actually she's not.
Well what i'm trying to say is, no matter what you should try this place out! ^^

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Asama S
Sydney
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“worth a visit”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

it is an unusual experience .
We've stayed in the Spa World hotel for 2 nights to take advantage of the spa facilities - and to be able to go in-out whenever we liked - allowed us the most flexibility as the spas are open till 6am in the morning. The hotel rooms were very pleasantly clean and modern and comfortable.
Staff is very nice and try to help as much as they can - although all of them can barely speak English.
Spas is something to definitely try - women in July are on the 4th floor, men on the 6th -> on the 4th floor herbs and salts saunas in the spas are the best. we've also liked the greek room with herbal water and milk and honey blue grotto.
We went to the spas after the days of walking around Kyoto and Osaka returning late in the evening - after 12am there is barely anyone inside so you can have most of the place to yourself.
Think this proved to be the right decision as when we got there at 8pm on the first day the place was incredibly busy.
on level 8 there are public pools where men and women can go together in swimwear - they have nice spas on the balcony and a few rides for which you have to pay extra. also nice kids areas with water fountains. this was great for us as our 8 year old refused to go to the men spa with naked men so at least he could try some of the spas on level 8 and he loved the rides of course. Note that level 8 closes at 10pm - so you have to get in at least at 8:30pm to take advantage of the rides. recommend to buy unlimited rides for 1,000 Yen per person - it only covers 2 types of rides, but if you ride more than 3 times you'd get value for money. When we were there (sunday night) there were no queues to the rides.
My husband and I have tried stone saunas on level 3 - shared men and women facility but have to pay extra. It was nice experience for novelty but not sure its worth it - spas on level 4 and 6 provide a better way of body cleansing and have saunas as well.

the negative parts were that the spa facility was actually quite run down - with exceptions of level 8 and stone spas. there are cracks in the baths, erosion and rust from salts in the spas, smelly carpets outside. on sunday people were sleeping at night outside the spas on level 4 and also in the lounge area downstairs - as the entry is quite cheap I suspect some use it as cheap accommodation facility. the food on level 3 is quite basic - suggest to go outside - as we came to the hotel late we ate dinner outside but tried breakfast on level 3 one day - this was the only negative food experience in Japan we've ever had.

the negatives only noticeable on arrival as it contrasts a typical onsen experience for an average tourist. Once you get into the spas, the therapeutic waters make you only notice the positives - so definitely recommend to try Spa World.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank TravelTheWorld44
hong kong
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Cheap and local”
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

It's located in shinsekai which is considered a "dangerous" neighbourhood, so don't expect a luxurious spa experience. Place is a bit aged, staff is not friendly and cannot speak English, the redemption is the cheap admission fee. You can pay extra for the stone spa facility. Overalls, a fun place only if you want something local and kitschy.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank kubrickian
Singapore, Singapore
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A strict policy on tattoos...”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A trip to Japan would not be complete without onsen (hot springs). It is recommended to shower first at the shower area with the shampoo and soap provided before entering the onsen and never go into the onsen with your towel on, as it is considered impolite in Japan. If you have any small tattoos on your body, do cover up with plasters. The “salt sauna” was a nice experience as my skin felt so soft and smooth after the salt exfoliation and do take a sitting pad outside the sauna room before entering. It can be quite unnerving to be walking around naked but I realised that the Japanese don’t really look at you and everyone is just minding their own business.

Visited August 2013