“A strict policy on tattoos...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Spa World

Spa World
Ranked #1 of 47 Spas & Wellness in Osaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Drawing on natural spring water, Osaka's Spa World is one of the largest hot spring complexes in the world, featuring themed rooms modeled after spas around the world and a water theme park on the roof.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Singapore, Singapore
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A strict policy on tattoos...”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

A trip to Japan would not be complete without onsen (hot springs). It is recommended to shower first at the shower area with the shampoo and soap provided before entering the onsen and never go into the onsen with your towel on, as it is considered impolite in Japan. If you have any small tattoos on your body, do cover up with plasters. The “salt sauna” was a nice experience as my skin felt so soft and smooth after the salt exfoliation and do take a sitting pad outside the sauna room before entering. It can be quite unnerving to be walking around naked but I realised that the Japanese don’t really look at you and everyone is just minding their own business.

Visited August 2013

• Thai first
Stafford, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Gorgeous place to relax! Love it!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had 9 days in Osaka. In the end of the trip, we pretty exhausted! Lots of walking lots of mental efforts to deal with. So the last day of our stay we went to the Spa World. Unlike the UK, this is very cheap price to pay for using all facilities. So have to give 5 star just for all convenience using them! In July, women is on 4th floor with European spas. My husband tried 6th floor which has Asian style. We both loved them!

It might be strange that you do not have choice for going inside of the spa with cloth on or not. Most spas in Europe can seen in naked or with swimming suites. But you can not wear any inside this spas. Not lot to worry, perfect each floor only operated by one gender. So feel relax and enjoy!
On the top floor it also has swimming pool and fun to have with children! I found the ''lazy river'' was not good enough, but lots of people were just chill out rather swim anyway. It also has dinning area which you can try Japanese food.

4th floor the salt steam room is great! Try put some salt on body and few minutes later, feel the baby skin! Also recommend the Rome herb bath!

There are few massage chairs near the entrance of the spa. 300yen -40 minutes. I do recommend this. It was most gorgeous machine can help you relax all of your muscles.

After spa, there are showers, areas for dressing up and dry your hair. Everything is prepared for you! So need to worry forgot to bring anything.

In the evening, after you come out the spa, try to stay in local area for Japanese skewer BBQ. Best place to have them!

We enjoyed our spa day before departing from Osaka.

Visited July 2014
3 Thank pinglovestravelling
Osaka, Japan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A rude receptionist can ruin the business”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

It’s easy to find, and the reviews and website are somewhat promising. However, I ended up walk away before I even set foot in it. Its sights are in both Japanese and English, but when I tried to get some information from its information desk in English, the young receptionist called三角あかり(something close to this, she tried to hide her nametag when I asked for her name) was really rude and staring at me with contempt. I understand that not everyone can speak English (though most receptionist should, especially from such a big facility), and I swear that I asked her nicely. However, it’s not because of her not speaking English that made me feel that she was being rude, it was her gaze and her actions that made me feel the unwelcomed vibe. And when I asked her the reasons of being mean, she ignored me and gave me a more threatening gaze. Then when I asked her for her manager, she used her cellphone and typed “why does it matter, the manager doesn’t speak English anyway” in English (now she knows English). I told her that I wouldn’t recommend this places to others because of her rude behaviors, she say, “ありがとございます”.(Thank you very much in Japanese)

The only reason that I could think of to explain her rude behaviors was because of that I am an Asian, but I could not speak Japanese. I think she might think that I am a Korean or Chinese and being racist. I know that there are many grudges in the history between these three countries, but I was surprised that it’s so obvious even in a tourist-filled city like Osaka. It was my first time in Osaka, and to be honest, I don’t even want to spend any more money in this city now, that receptionist’s behaviors totally ruined my impression towards Japan.

So overall, if you look Asian and do not speak Japanese, I recommend you to stay away from this Spa World and save yourself from a frustrating racist experience.

Visited June 2014
15 Thank LoneTraveller999
Carson City, Nevada
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Dream Come True!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

As a westerner I don't get to visit many Spas such as this. Spa World in particular was AMAZING! Enjoyed the hotel western rooms (very comfortable), Loved the size of the spa (huge), different types of spa rooms (numerous) and the water park on the roof (fun as any). Due to the month we visited, the men's side was the 'Eastern' themed. The outdoor Japanese area was particularly special. We also bought wrist band passes to ride all attractions on the roof. The slides were awesome! Don't miss this place if you are visiting and enjoy spas. Of course it's in Japan so the attire in the spa area is 'no clothing'. If this makes you nervous don't let it. I promise you forget about the nudity after the first 5 minutes. It's their culture, so only you will be nervous.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank GeauxFrogs
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't go here if you want true relaxation....”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I guess you get what you pay for (price was discounted for the summer at 1,000 yen), but Spa World was not my cup of tea. I came on a Saturday afternoon looking for a time of relaxation and rejuvenation; I left very disappointed. First of all, there were so many small children in the onsen/bath section that at times, I felt like I was trying to relax in a "kiddie pool." Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder how clean the water actually was. It was extremely crowded and noisy. I decided to pay the extra 1,000 yen to visit the Stone Spa, which was much more quiet, and I did enjoy my time there a little bit better. But overall, I felt like it was so "gimmicking"and commercialized that it never felt like the spa experience I was looking for. I am much better suited, I think, for a small local onsen that isn't so heavily advertised and promoted.

Visited May 2014