“SO AWESOME”

Ranked #2 of 320 Spas & Wellness in Osaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Drawing on natural spring water, Osaka's Spa World is one of the largest hot spring complexes in the world, featuring themed rooms modeled after spas around the world and a water theme park on the roof.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I honestly didn't want to leave, the price is relatively generous for what they offer!! Please go if you have the chance, no doubt it will be a great day!

2  Thank kuranyukisama
in 21 reviews
"different theme"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was expecting a lot out of Spa World. It was okay, but nothing to rave about compared to other onsens I have visited. Firstly, the place was very hard to find - I missed it twice due to poor signage (from the outside, it looks like a tall non-descript building). The place has an abundance of spas and saunas, each inspired by a different area of the world. There were some interesting baths, such as the milk and honey spa and the salt sauna. I was most impressed by the bar, at which you can order a drink and then soak your feet in a rock spa whilst sitting watching TV. But despite the number of baths, I felt too many of the same. The outdoor area was a massive disappointment for me, with only three small baths and plastic green turf - the kind that hurts your feet. No rock garden, no plants, no scenery at all. It was quite depressing really. The lobby, locker rooms and other shared areas all have a seedy, casino-like feel to them with tacky 80s carpet. The relaxation rooms fell short, with TV shows being projected onto a big wall it was impossible to watch television unless you managed to get a spot right at the front of the room. It was hardly a disaster, but I suspect there are much nicer onsens in Osaka that are better value for money.

3  Thank Jenn J
Reviewed April 23, 2013

What a cool experience! So many options to choose from and so relaxing for your after days of walking. We went on a mid-week afternoon and it wasn't too crazy busy. One floor for men and one for women. There are also small restaurants on third floor for you to dine at if you spend a long time there. Totally recommend to experience this....it can be a little weird as Yu are getting naked with everyone else. But once you get passed that, it is a nice experience with all the different baths and saunas. We had the osaka unlimited day pass - so this only cost 900 yen instead of 2700 yen. You'll probably only spend 2-3hours at this place.

1  Thank Jennielyn
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We visited on a public holiday without knowing and was overwhelmed by the crowd. It was certainly my first experience with onsen (hot spring) that involve queues for the shower areas and sitting closely next to a stranger in the pools. Maybe the park ought to consider a smaller limit for entry if any but of course that maybe disappointment for some people.

Anyway, other than the crowd, most of the facilities were very good (some are under repair not disclosed in the English website). Certainly an ambitious spa idea that was executed well enough. Apart of the spa, the indoor pools where the whole family could enter was very enjoyable. We survived three hours here with thousands of people! If we came on a quiet day, I am sure we would want to return. If there is any relief, the admission was 1,000 yen for some reason instead of the usual 2,700 yen for adults.

1  Thank Gary Y
See more reviews
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am not into spas and certainly as a foreigner to Japan, the onsen concept seemed very alien to me. However after 7 days moving from Tokyo to Kyoto and then Osaka, I was determined to maximize the Japanese experience and I did. And i sure did! what an authentic Japanese immersion.
I spent most of my time at the 6/F which was strictly for women only. I deposited my stuff in the lockers which means stripping down to your birthday suit. Armed with a small towel, I marched on to the hall where the spas waited.
Being the ONLY foreigner that time, the anonynimity added courage. The Persian baths were the welcome attraction. Then I moved to the other sections from Balinese heaven, to the rest. I spent the most in the Japanese section where the waters were heated to as much as 41deg. It was in an open area where one can see the sky. it was cold outside but the hot waters ruled out the cold. i had a small tub to myself and I slipped to blissful sleep.
There were 'shower areas' where you can wash your hair and body after dipping into the jacuzzis. You just have to do this sitting on a low stool and next to another person (or in between, depending on where you choose to bathe). There is a mirror per "stall", plus a shower and a water basin. No partitions though. Who needs privacy anyway in a place like this =)
The locals came in groups (families or friends). If not for everyone being naked, I would think I was in a cafe where people were chatting about everyday stuff. Looking back, maybe this was everyday normal stuff for the Japanese.
I stayed for three hours but I wish I came in earlier so that I could enjoy each of the spas more. This was truly a treat. Anyone visiting Japan should try this. Next time, I will do this again.

2  Thank Meggerrs