“Fantastic!”

Ranked #2 of 1,035 things to do in Osaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: See the wide range of habitats that make up the Pacific Rim on a tour of this fascinating aquarium, which takes you from one environment to another and lets you feel as though you’re underwater.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm not much of an Aquarium fan but my wife and I decided to go see the Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan, having findiing it on our walk.

All we can say is ... Wow!!! What a place! The trip through this Aquarium was breathless at times. Its set up in a way that takes you through one setting which includes a natural Japan Forest, then winds its way through lower levels taking you deeper and deeper into an Ocean.

Everything from the Artic to Antartica found some representation here. Looking at the younger and older people here, one can see this is a great place for learning about our planet's sea animals and fish.

As far as I can tell , the fish and animals have enough space to make their enviroment as natural as possible , but then again I'm not knowlegable to know for sure. Its just that after looking at the displays, the enviroment for the fish seemed spacious to us.

We ended up spending more time than I thought we would and would recommend this aquarium for anyone visiting Osaka.

There are newer reviews for Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Easy to get to with a huge array of displays. Never seen anything like it elsewhere. The whale shark and giant spider crabs were my favorite.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

visited oct 2014 on several recommendations and reading reviews.

loved that there were English explanations and a very clear 'path/route' to follow to you miss nothing. some very cool exhibits - the giant tank in the center is more than 3 stories high, the sting ray touch tank, being able to walk under several tanks - the best is the seal tanks.

a must for families and those who enjoy museums/ gallery type stuff. make a day of it by visiting the ferris wheel and a pretty cool mall all a few minutes and visibly nearby

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Get transported to a magical world, where the adorable sea otters and seal swim around you. Look out for the whale sharks in the main aquarium, and say hi to the Mola Mola~

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I spent only one day in Osaka and I made sure to have the aquarium on my list. I personally LOVE aquariums, while my husband isn't a huge fan. After spending a good 2 hours exploring the Osaka Aquarium, my husband had changed his mind completely. It's an incredible spot and if you come 2 hours before closing time, there's barely anyone here, so you can enjoy your whale-watching in childfree bliss. :)