All reviewsbic camerakansai airportshopping arcadepachinko parloursthird floorexcellent locationkuromon marketwalking streetjapanese standardsbusy shoppingnankai linesmoke smelltrain stationhotel is locatedfloor lobbyhotel roomden den town
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I visited Osaka on a mission so the hotel for me was a place to dump my bags and sleep only. For this it was utterly fantastic.
Because it is located in the middle of basicly pedestrian only streets there is no traffic noise. The staff speak good english and are helpful.
VERY important if you are a non smoker is to request a non smoking room.The difference is phenominal and I suspect one floor is non smoking because I diddn't notice a heavy smoke smell most of the time. .
Remember the Japanese are fairly heavy smokers still.
I had a single room which meant double bed a small couch,a table,clothes storage and a reasonable sized bathroom. Everything was immaculately clean.
Now some tips.--Theres a pay phone in the lobby thats heaps cheaper than the phones in your room
Just to the right of the ground floor entrance is a Lawsons which is like a corner shop with emergency supplies open 24 hours.
turn left out the door and on the first corner is a small supermarket that has fresh fruit
Go straight ahead from the reception desk and theres an "english" pub with good beer and they do a sheppards pie worth eating if you just arrived and arent feeling adventurous.
DO take one of their tourist maps if you venture more than a block or two away on foot because its easy to get lost.
Will I stay there again ?? Yes

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I stayed at the Namba Oriental for 5 nights in September 2010. The accommodation was excellent. Very clean rooms and bathroom, excellent television reception, internet connection for the laptop etc. The elevators were fast and there was never a long wait. The hotel is in excellent condition throughout.
My only gripe was the breakfast. The dining room seemed to be constantly full to overflowing. I tolerated that as I thought the breakfast was part of the room rate. Shock horror....upon departure I was presented with a bill for nearly 1500 Japanese Yen per breakfast consumed. MCDonalds (located next to the hotel) did a comprehensive breakfast combo for around 500 yen and it was a more appealing option. Breakfast aside, this is a very good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MurrayRussell
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This hotel was decent. It was close to Dotonbori which was great! The room was a little old but nice. My chief complaint is that the whole place smelled like smoke. I wanted to hold my breath in the lobby, elevator, and hallways because the smell was so strong. If this doesn't bother you then the place was nice. Fortunately we were in a nonsmoking room so it didn't smell like the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Decent room, fun location in the middle of all the action and amazing staff who couldn't do more for us. You're right by several subways and 100's of restaurants and bars. Only drawback is we didn't get great restaurant recommendations so prepare before you go.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2010

A decent place in every respect, the basic twin room we stayed in was small and not cheap.
I think you are paying for the superb location near to the Nankai Namba station in the atmospheric pedestrianised part of town.
Room although small was well laid out and spotlessly clean.
I cannot but think though that there is something else out there that just does things that bit better for around the same price - thus only an average rating.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family