“I thought it would be nicer”

RIHGA Royal Hotel Osaka
Ranked #29 of 303 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“I thought it would be nicer”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is quite an impressive looking hotel from the outside and has a large professional looking lobby. And the name of the hotel would suggest more of a luxury hotel. My room was in the west wing and was very basic. The room was warm, too warm, but the AC would not work. Evidently the HVAC system had been changed over to heating for the seaon. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small but everything functioned properly. Frankly, the room was more representative of one you find find at an inexpensive hotel. I am glad I only stayed one night. The breakfeast buffet was good, with many selections for westerm tastes. At least I did not leave there hungry.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank colabear605

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be staying in a Natural Room - which was modern and fresh. My friends were not so lucky and were in the West Tower where the room was tired and very small. My room had a very comfortable bed - which was great after a busy day of sight seeing. In addition, it had a wide array of bathroom products and bottled water was supplied. The wifi was a bit variable but still ok. My room package had access to the pool but they won't let even see it unless you have your swimmers on!! The room service food I has one night was average as the "steamed vegetables" must have been steamed for a very long time - but it fed me. We ate at one of the many, many, many restaurants in the basement if the building. This food was well overpriced and very small portions. The bus to Osaka train station is a welcome and necessary service. The reason I have titled my review 'The Dome' - is because the hotel feels like it is an isolated town that once you are here you don't have to leave - bit weird for me. If I had a choice of where to stay in Osaka again - it would not be here due to is location and feel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Slug012
New york
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I attended a conference at the adjacent convention center and Rihga Royal hotel was the designated hotel. The room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. The decor was a bit dated and the carpet and wall could need some renovation.

After I checked in, I found out the toilet was malfunction. Five minutes after I called the front desk, someone came up and examine the toilet. At first, he said was okay but then he tried to flush, the toilet was overflown. There was no maintenance to fix it during the evening. I ended up switching to the room across the hallway which turned out to be a suite. I was allowed to stay in the suite for the entire stay without additional charge!! Nice touch!!

The location of the hotel is not that great but there is free shuttle service running to and from Osaka JR station from 7:30 am to 10:00 pm. The bus runs from every 15 to 6 minutes. It was great!!

I tried the buffet breakfast which was included in my room. It serves both Japanese and Western style breakfast. I like the japanses style breakfast!! After a few days, it got tiresome.

There is a subway station below the hotel, but I never tried. There are also restaurants and shops in the basement level.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. We were originally given a twin room in the west wing (despite booking a double) and when we reached the room it's clear to see there is a period of remodeling going on! There were stains on the carpet and walls looked like a 20 per day smoker hadn't left the room in 20 years. Plus the beds were singles and very hard! Not a good start. After speaking to the reception staff we were upgraded to a Natural Comfort Room (normally 5000yen more per night) and it's one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Comfortable beds, huge room, nice bathroom etc. The hotel has a lot of facilities and the Chinese restaurant on the 15th floor serves very good food but at crazy prices, it's very expensive.
Finally this hotel is nowhere near any Osaka attractions or anywhere close to a subway line that actually serves the attractions. It's 40 minutes minimum to get anywhere. If I were to come here again I'd have to stay somewhere else because of the poor location of the hotel. There is a free shuttle bus from the main Osaka JR station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank S10bhan86
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Attended a business conference with my husband. Rhiga Royal is a very large hotel with many shops and restaurants. We had a deluxe room which was spacious and very clean and comfortable.The rooms were very quiet. With a deluxe room there is access to a pleasant lounge with large windows and , and soft drinks available. A very good breakfast was included. The staff was wonderful. The concierge spoke excellent english and was extra helpful. Osaka castle and the ceramics museum (there is a beautiful park with rose gardens behind the museum) is an easy train ride away from train stop at the hotel. There is a free shuttle to Osaka Station where there are restaurants,shops, department stores, and a rooftop ferris wheel. The museum of art is a short walk away from the hotel. I found the subway/trains very confusing although people and train employees were very friendly and helpful with directions. So, we took some taxis which were expensive but not prohibitively expensive. We had to spend a good deal of time in the hotel since this was a business trip and our stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife & I just got back from Osaka, Japan. We stayed in Rihga Royal Hotel courtesy of our host organization celebrating an important corporate milestone (50th Anniversary). We spent 3 days & nights practically within the hotel except for a free time going to Kyoto visiting famous shrines & temples.
Thus, we got to see every nook & corner of the hotel and must say that it can boast of the name Royal as their facilities & services are definitely made with royals in mind...but with commoners in their hearts. Witness our 3rd and final night at the Crown Room at the 28th Floor. The name of the function room is very fitting to the ambiance...and the food.
So, who would want to become a royal when we, commoners, just the same, can have it all?!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TEOFILO JR S
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last year,when attending a conference at the Osaka Convention Center, located next to the hotel. The hotel is huge, modern & classy, with a number of restaurants & shops. The staff gave excellent service. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable & well equipped with everything we need. Besides that breakfast was very good with a variety of food served. Since the hotel was quite far from shopping centers & Osaka station, giving access to the rest of the city, the hotel offered a free shuttle to that station. It was great. In short, I enjoyed staying at this hotel very much & would be back sometime...

• Stayed October 2012