“proficient english will make it perfect”

The Ritz-Carlton, Osaka
Ranked #5 of 339 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed January 21, 2014

i stayed with my friend back this january. the hotel is close to osaka station (about 5-10 minutes walk) and limousine bus (herbis osaka stop), which is very convinient if you travel on foot

the room itself is very clean and big enough for you to walk around arranging your luggages. toilet is very clean as well. the bed is comfortable and big enough that it can fit two lean people

the only setback i had during my stayed is that front desk personnel understand simple english and i had to actually ask the help of my japanese friend to translate to them about putting my crab in the freezer because front desk did not understand my explanation. otherwise everything would be perfect

nevertheless, service is marvelous. the hotel put my frozen crabs in their freezer until the morning i asked for them to be delivered to my room for me to take back home. and when you asked to be delivered at 6:30am, means 6:30am on time (to my surprise) and i really appreciate the perfect timing

i would come back to stay whenever i'm in osaka :)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you're looking for a great (actually a perfect) hotel in Osaka, this one is for you, amazing room, great food (taste the patisserie), very refined service and convenient location, but if you want to feel in Japan you might feel little bit lost here, a bit of local taste more would have added a lot to this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel has the old ritz carton country club decor, but the rooms are spacious and very clean. The location near the train station is excellent. Service is great. They did a great job arranging tours, restaurant reservations and transport. Excellent.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We stayed over the New Year Holiday & pleasantly surprised on the following. What makes an hotel stay memorable? For me, a clean, service oriented stay that can inform, assist each guest to where, what, they want, etc. On these counts Ritz Carlton Osaka succeeded!

The concierge was excellent!! Each step of the way, they checked with me on things I wanted to get, eat, do... now, that is premium service! For me, the concierge is key to any hotel experience and I worked with them well in advance, with many things & each one gave me all the info, assistance I could ask for, so many thanks to Shoko-san & Momoko-san! Exceptional!

I've been to many R.Carlton's and this one's most definitely lived up to the old-school traditional decor of R.C. classic. The welcome drink was a classic gesture- especially considering it's the holidays. The greeting from Front-desk, Asst. Front Desk Manager was very nice- set the tone for the welcome. Also, both Momoko and Shoko also came to say "hello" how welcoming we felt- home-away-from-home. Impressed us greatly.

The room is one of the most spacious in Japan, besides maybe the Park Hyatt in Tokyo- it's really large- which is rare in Japan. I enjoyed the double sinks as convenient for couple and spacious bathroom.

We were so fortunate, as everything went smoothly and warm hospitable service that R.C. is known for. Also, we were so impressed with the hotel arranging special event for New Year for guests to enjoy! They had a lion dance, traditional sake breaking, and other festivities---this made the trip so memorable! This is something that I crave on a trip to experience traditions only that can be seen in Osaka Ritz Carlton! That was wonderful!

Unfortunately we didn't have time to use other restaurants, etc. at hotel because of our short stay- but we hope to next time.

Thank you to R.C. Osaka for such a memorable experience! Your efforts made all the difference.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Osaka for 3 nights mid December. Arriving late at night, we took the Airport Limousine Bus no. 5 from Kansai Airport, which dropped us in front of Herbis Osaka a short 40 minutes later. Locating the hotel courtesy phone upon alighting the bus, a transfer car was sent to us within 5 minutes.

The lobby of the Ritz Carlton is beautiful, classy and extremely elegant. Check in was easy and efficient, 10 minutes later we were ensconced in our high floor room which overlooked the Umeda train station. The room was large by Japan standards, very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was clean and shower had good water pressure. Separate sinks was an added bonus. Bed was extremely comfortable and afforded a very good nights' sleep. Amenities provided included Nespresso coffee machine and selection of capsules, water kettle and selection of tea bags. Bottles of water were provided daily, and replenished at turn down. Room was quiet despite full occupancy, we were given our request for a room away from the elevators.

Location wise, it's a stones throw from the Osaka/Umeda train stations. Extremely convenient to get around. There is a direct connection from the hotel to the underground passageway which leads directly to the Stations, where eateries, restaurants and shopping options fairly boggle the mind. For that reason, there was no necessity and hence did not have breakfast at the hotel.

Service was indeed top notch, in particular the concierge. I was in constant communication with the concierge weeks before our arrival, arranging for restaurant bookings and bookings for various activities in Osaka, including a visit to the Yamasaki distillery. Emails were answered within the hour, and always with very useful alternatives or options. Reservations for popular restaurants were made effortlessly. Upon our arrival at the hotel, the concierge had an envelope with all confirmed bookings and relevant information, ready and waiting for us.

The professionalism and service standards of the Ritz Carlton clearly shines through and provided us with a smooth and trouble-free visit to Osaka. We will return when our travels take us to Osaka again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WYMC
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed at the Ritz Osaka in October, paid for a club level suite, the views were incredible, but that's where everything ends... so, let's start with a few things.

Failure #1. I'm in the hotel business, so when I arrived I gave my card to the front desk and also asked for the contact information for the General Manager, and asked the front desk to have him/her contact me. I think when spending a lot of money per night you should be able to communicate with a General Manager directly, and when you ask for them to contact you, they should contact you. This isn't a large hotel by any means, let's keep that in mind.

Failures number 2 through number 25. This hotel is DIRTY. Where do I begin?
* The carpeting is clean in the middle of the rooms, but the edges are so disgustingly dirty and unsanitary that they're black. This is an indication that the foam pad underneath the carpet in the entire room is also very dirty, and probably has black mold growing in it.
* There's a tissue box next to the bed - this is an absolutely unacceptable place for a tissue box in a hotel - men usually like this because they can reach over (I won't say why). The tissue box had two different bodily fluids on it... and was never cleaned the three nights/four days that we were in the room.
* I always check glassware, and rarely use it. Being in the business, I know that housekeepers usually clean the tub/shower, then the toilet, then the sink, then the counters and glassware. Even if they use different brushes, they never change their gloves. However, this was more shameful and disgusting. There was lipstick residue still on two of the water glasses, showing that they were barely cleaned, perhaps only rinsed out. So, I went around the room and used my own lip balm and put a pearl-sized dot under every glass, every coffee cup, every tea cup, on the "on" button for the remote control for the TV, on the "on" button for the phone, and on the pen. Not once were these pearl-size pieces of lip balm discovered or cleaned. This should be a violation of local sanitation laws, and is disrespectful to my health.
* There was hair in my shower... not just one small hair but three hairs from 10cm to 20cm in length. I left them in place, and they were never removed from the shower over three nights and four days of our stay at the hotel.
* Service however was excellent... especially with the club level access. However, the food on the club level does not even come close to meeting expectations. Some seems like it came from a 7-Eleven, and some looks very beautiful, but I really expected a lot more, especially since this is Japan. The seating on the club level needs to be reconfigured... there are windows with fantastic views, but they're blocked by large tables with only 4 seats. I would place a lot of small 2-seat tables near the windows and the larger tables away from the windows. This would result in more people feeling happy because they get to enjoy the view. The people who need 4 seats probably keep themselves occupied with conversation with 4 people instead of looking at the view.

I continued to ask for the General Manager, and for the 3 nights and 4 days that we were at the Ritz Carlton Osaka, was never provided with his/her contact information, and was never contacted by him/her. Not once. For Japan, this is incredibly disrespectful and shameful. While our room was "cleaned" and turned down twice per day, not once did the dirty items get cleaned. Not the blood or semen on the tissue box by the bed. Not the telephone. Not the remote control. Not the glassware. Not the hair in the shower. And I wasn't once rude about it... I was asking in a polite manner, very friendly.

The first thing about service with a very, very expensive hotel room in a small hotel is that you should be able to contact the General Manager to get problems resolved. Two months later, I have not been contacted... and have sent several emails to the hotel. However, when staying in a hotel run by a giant corporation, they make it impossible to directly contact someone. Impossible. On the hotel's website, you should have direct contact information for important staff members.

So, I ended up disputing only half of my charges... I know I used the hotel room, so I thought I'd dispute half the charges as this would be appropriate compensation for my experience. When I disputed half of the charges, and gave my reasoning, I still never received contact from the hotel, but the hotel fought my dispute, and won, so I ended up paying for 100% of my charges.

It will now be interesting to see how the hotel responds to this review... will they finally take a moment out of their day to address this review? If they do, this will be an indication that they're more interested in maintaining their image so that they can make money than actually taking care of a guest during - and after - their visit.

I understand that not everything can be perfect all the time, but we are talking about sanitation and health in this situation. With sanitation and health, everything should be perfect and should be corrected immediately. I should never have to point out hair, blood, semen, or unwashed glasses that I put my lips and mouth on, or phones, or remote controls.

I rarely give anyone a 1-star review for anything - but this was just a combination of a lack of concern or respect for my health - and a lack of communication when I probably asked to communicate with the General Manager three to four times per day during my stay. That is unacceptable, it is disrespectful to me, and very shameful. When spending this much money, everything should be perfect.

Room Tip: Inspect your room very carefully for cleanliness. All of the rooms have a great view. Don't sp...