“excellent if a little plain”

Swissotel Nankai Osaka
Ranked #9 of 309 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Voorburg
“excellent if a little plain”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Husband and I stayed 4 nights in a ' grand' room.
We arrived by train in the Nankai station under the hotel, we found the entrance very easily.
The room was spacious and comfortable with all the amenities. The furniture (though in good repair) looked rather outdated, and the bathroom was spartan and looked like something out of an American roadside motel: it's perfectly fine but not very glamorous.
We had acces to the executive lounge where we had breakfast and pre dinner drinks and snacks. The food and service were excellent.
Osaka is a nice city and a good base for daytrips.
We would be fine to go back to this hotel, though not very excited.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Very easy access from international airport. Great location to see Osaka. Right in the centre of nighlife with easy access to food and shopping. Complex mirad of subways and train connections underground but once mastered, it is great place to explore the city and surrounding prefectures. Must visit Kobe to sample Kobe beef - expensive but the best beef ever.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 7, 2009

The Swissotel Nankai Osaka is convenient, as others mentioned, since it is attached to the Namba station, where the train and some subway lines run through. What I didn't see mentioned was that Namba/Nankai station is a huge station -- it can easily be a 10-15+ minute walk to certain parts of the station, and it can be very confusing to figure out where to go. As has been mentioned, the hotel is above Takashimaya, so we headed in that direction, and looked for signs for the hotel. Try to avoid coming in during rush hour times since it will be difficult to trek through the station with your luggage and look for the hotel signs.

The hotel itself is very beautiful and clean, especially for the amount charged. I booked it through Travelocity, but it turns out I could've gotten a better rate through the hotel at check-in. The staff is very helpful, as was true of all the hotels we stayed at. They had multi-lingual staff who were very willing to accommodate and speak English.

• Stayed March 2009
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 6, 2009

I had a one day trip to Osaka and, since I didn't have much time to research or spend in the city, I relied on TripAdvisor members and their guidance to find the most convenient hotel in Osaka for a one night stay.

As usual, they didn't let me down. I booked the Swissotel basically for the location, as it's right above the train station at the end of the line! It would be pretty difficult to miss the stop. I paid more than I usually do, as most of my hotel bookings are through Priceline; about 15000JY for the night.

However, the price was worth it for the location. There are very detailed and accurate instructions on taking the train from the airport in other reviews, so I won't repeat them. Be advised that it was difficult, at least for me, to find an ATM in Osaka that would accept a card issued outside of Japan, so you may want to be sure you have some cash to exchange. Ticket on the high speed train was 1390 JY.

Check-in was easy and efficient. They were offering a package that included breakfast, internet and gym access for one person for 3500 JY per day. I thought this was somewhat high. I had booked a classic room, which would be very comfortable for two people; I was surprised that it was larger than I expected. There was a safe and refrigerator with a minibar. Since I was tired, I ordered a pizza from room service, and it came from the Italian restaurant on the top floor. It was quite good.

The location is great if you have just a short time in the city. You can walk through many interesting districts. I only had a few hours the next day, as my flight left in the early afternoon, but I managed to go quite far. I found the staff and people in general to be extremely polite and helpful.

I would certainly choose the Swissotel if I made another visit to Osaka.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank gracie-boo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2009

I am a fan of the Swissotel chain and this one did not disappoint, when we arrived we were greeted with very friendly staff and were led right up to our room.

Extremely convenient location which really settled us. My sister and I were travelling on our own and we were not sure how we were going to get around with our non-existent japanese. Surrounded by the funkiest shopping districts of osaka as well as takashimaya and another large shopping centre where you can taste the goodies of japan in the basement.

There is also a mcdonalds across the road for those afraid of japanese food. Hotel food is very expensive so we only tried the SKY BAR which set us back a bit but worth it for the view. Explore Namba City and Namba parks so many manga shops and several restaurants to choose from. Excellent!

Fantastic location for doing your own tours as the train and subway station is right underneath.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank FunkyIngy
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Like all the other reviewers has commented, this hotel has a great advantage due to its excellent location. But the service of the hotel is so terrible that it makes me feel so unappreciated. Japan should be famous for their outstanding service, but I didn't see it in this hotel, surprisingly due to its 5-star name. If only Cross hotel, which is just 2 streets away is available on the dates that I was there, I would have just stayed there. It cannot be compared with the Hyatt Regency Kyoto, which we have spent 4 nights there prior to arriving at Osaka.

Upon checking in the hotel with 2 big luggages, we were not acknowledge by the porters. That's alright for me, I was not really particular about the bell desk helping us with the heavy bags. After about 15 minutes, one of the bell boy came over to help and he was wearing the trainee badge. It was a pity that I didn't get his name but he was the apparently the BEST hotel staff there because he tried to help us in every way he can. But he can speak good english and even chinese because he told us that his mom is a Shanghainese.

The front desk staff spoke average english and gave us a wrong room and we had to wait while they can re-arrange another room for us. As club swiss gold, we were suppose to have complimentary newspaper but apparently, it wasn't given to us and I had to approach the front desk the following day for a copy. As the previous reviewer had commented, the hotel is filled with teenagers who does not have the slightest idea of the meaning of service.

Before I can come to the room, do allow me to comment of the concierge service. We wanted to find out if there are any information on side tours in the region. There were 3 staff at the concierge deak when we approach them one evening and asked for information, one of the male staff merely "threw" a booklet which contains JTB tours and side trips to us on the concierge table and after that, he just turned his back at us and started talking to his colleagues and laughed among themselves and simply ignored us who were still standing there hoping to get more information! This is devastating! In the end, we had to use the internet in the room (and pay for it) to get more information on the Hiroshima side trip, e.g. train information and fares, time tables of the train, what to do in Hiroshima and how to get there etc. They do not have these information at their concierge desk. I never expected such "service" in this hotel given the past good reviews.

The hotel only give 2 bottles of water in the room upon check in and thereafter, none will be given. Unlike the Hyatt Regency in Kyoto, they would provide you with water every day with no extra charge.

The room was spacious given that it is in Japan. However, the carpet was old and the bathroom is totally outdated as compared to other hotels. They still have the Toto seat toilet but the side of the wall around the bath tub have cracks around them. The air conditioner made loud noises and not totally silent. They do not provide free internet therefore we paid for the in room internet for 30 mins @ 680yen. The bed was very big but hard. The temperature in the room can be hot and cold so you have to adjust. However, the room has an outstanding city view of Osaka.

Good points about the hotel is as I said, the very good location as the property is near to everything: subway, nankai trains to the airport, Takashimaya just below it, and walking distance to a lot of shopping and dining @ Namba Parks, Shinsaibashi.

When we checked out in the morning at 630am with 4 bags, the lobby was totally empty without any guests. As my husband was checking out, I saw that the porters were standing around and although he saw us with our bags, he merely looked away and as though we were transparent. I seriously do not know what is wrong! All the hotels we visited around the world will help with the bags immediately.

However, my husband and I will not stay there again. We will probably choose another hotel which is much worth our money. I hope the hotel management will improve their services to their guests.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — the services rendered
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank snoopy44
Ch_Schaufelbuhl, General Manager at Swissotel Nankai Osaka, responded to this review, January 28, 2009
Dear Guest

We thank you for sharing with us your valuable feedback on your recent stay at Swissôtel Nankai Osaka.

It is with great regret to read that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction; please accept our apologies. Comments like yours are very important to us, as they help identifying opportunities for improvements. Pertaining to the issues mentioned, immediate action has been taken to further enhance product knowledge and improve service attitude of our team members. Please be assured that these incidences do not reflect the usual high standards of our hotel.

Without doubt, the hotel has further room for improvements and we are constantly working to meet and exceed our Guests expectation. Unfortunately, this goal was not met during your stay and we apologize to you.

We would like to assure you that it is our aim to deliver excellent services and quality throughout, and hope that your impressions during your visit will not mere you from staying with us in the future. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Swissôtel Nankai Osaka during your next trip to Japan!
Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Swissotel and would recommend it highly - mainly for its wonderful location. I am not usually drawn to hotels that are in a Railway station, but in Osaka - it was brilliant.

We found a favourable rate by going directly through their website.

The rooms were spacious and adequate. The breakfast, whilst not the best I ever had, was certainly nice. It is a very big hotel and quite busy. The staff were accommodating without being 'over the top'.

I think it is important when travelling in another country - not to expect service/food etc as you would in your own country. The Japanese are incredibly helpful, attentive and humble.

It was wonderful to be able to shop in some lovely department stores just below our hotel. It was also brilliant having the train station under the hotel - especially when travelling with a lot of luggage. We were able to take a train to Osaka Airport from this station - and it was 3 minutes from our room. This, for my family and I, was a bonus.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Loves_Family_Trips