“Love”

Tsuyunoten Shrine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Love”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

So good the flea msrkets are held 1st friday every month beautiful shrine of love and pick up some amazing things

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Also known as Ohatsu Tenjin”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We went to Tsuyutenjin or Ohatsu Tenjin on the 31st of December to witness the ringing in of the New Year as our hotel was in the Umeda area. This smallish shrine is also popularly known as Ohatsu Tenjin, a memorial to a double suicide that was immortalised in a play (Ohatsu was a courtesan who could not marry her lover and they resolved to die after he got into some trouble). The queue to ring the bell was really long by the time we got there--we might have tried if the queue had been shorter. Very atmospheric with many locals bustling around waiting for midnight. There's hot sake on sale and an enthusiastic countdown in the final ten seconds to the New Year.

Visited December 2012
Bozeman
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Beautiful Shrine and Tribute to Osaka's "Romeo & Juliet"”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I stumbled upon the Tsuyunoten Shrines by accident while walking around the busy Umeda district near our hotel (Hilton Osaka). Dating back to the 6th century, this lovely and tranquil haven is surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a noisy city, and yet I do not recall hearing anything but the sound of my own footsteps on gravel when I entered the grounds. After about an hour of walking around to appreciate the beauty and respectfully observing the people who had come to worship, I exited the shrine grounds through Ohatsu-Tenjin Street, a covered shopping arcade. It was as if all the noise of the city was switched on again at the push of a button. For months now, every time I see the photos I took of this spot, I feel peaceful.

I have since learned a bit of the history of this shrine, and later realized that the posters hanging over the Ohatsu Tenjin arcade memorialize lovers who committed suicide on the grounds in 1703. Their story of doomed passion has been retold for generations in a famous Bunraku puppet play written by Monzaemon Chikamatsu.

Visited February 2012