“I wouldn't return”

and up
Osaka Full-Day Walking Tour with Osaka River Cruise
Ranked #23 of 1,159 things to do in Osaka
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was dragged here on a rainy day on which admission was free. I have an aversion to many Japanese museums as they are usually crowded, noisy, and most descriptions are only in Japanese. Fortunately, the only problem on this day was the lack of descriptions in English. I didn't know there was an english audio guide. Well, most exhibits had an English 'tag' on them, but the explanation about what you were looking for was all in Japanese only.

It's an interesting building but I found it somewhat amusing that there was such an inefficient use of space within the building.

I wouldn't pay to enter, but if you are interested in Osakan history and happen across it on a day where the entrance fee is free, make sure you ask about an English audio guide.

1  Thank deruo

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Nice outside especially with the television building next to it with a special connection. Interesting inside with enough to see about the history of Osaka, especially with the Osaka castle so near by. The combination is good for a few hours of relaxed watching

1  Thank enruit
Reviewed July 28, 2012

If you bought Osaka Pass, do come here for free entrance. exploring start from top floor. You can see Osaka Castle and historical site from here. Such a magnificent scenery. Do join the archaeologist activity at one of the floor. Its fun.

1  Thank dunk_6
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Although the website has an English version, as does the entry brochure, the only other English to be found are the labels on some of the artifacts (just the titles, not the descriptions). None of the interactive displays offer other languages, none of the dioramas are labeled in any other languages. We should probably have gotten the audioguide, but the person who sold us our ticket did not tell us that there was one (and we did not see anyone with an audioguide), and our guidebook did not mention it. The building is great and the exhibits looked interesting.. I should have read more here to learn about the English audioguide!

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I am not really a fan of historical museums but surprisingly, I like this place. In fact, this is one of my favorite places in Osaka. It seems not a popular tourist attraction though. This museum covers the Naniwa Era to Greater Osaka area, showing the way of life of the people, how the townscape look like...a lot of things except the war. What makes me like it is how the exhibit is presented. The displays (small replicas of bridge, people and etc) are interesting. My son had fun doing the puzzle of one of Japanese castles.