“Enjoyed this hotel, but annoyed about nickel and diming on wifi”

The St. Regis Osaka
Ranked #3 of 333 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is a great hotel. I am writing because in the review below, the manager says there is free wifi in cafe ru'dor. This is NOT true. I went there and noticed on my phone there was a network there in addition to the SPG guest room one, asked the staff, who told me there is no wifi.

That said, this is a lovely hotel. Taking the elevator up to 12 and then switching again can be a little annoying. Everything good that has been said has already been - great beds, beautiful rooms, good staff and location. One thing I found at this hotel is that there wasn't much of an effort made for non Japanese guests. There were very few TV channels in English, and i was looking forward to using the TV over the bathtub until I realized it ONLY had Japanese channels. Also, the hotel should maintain a list of local restaurants with English menus. We had to ask the staff for recommendations and this was time consuming; they should have had a list on hand. I have stayed at the Sheraton Osaka and they had a convenient map showing a 2 or 3 block radius around the Sheraton and all the restaurants it contained. Very helpful late at night when you're cold and hungry. There is a good Izakaya across the street, Watami, that is great for a few drinks and a quick meal.

This is not a cheap hotel, but for Japan, I thought it was a good value for the price paid. It is small and has a boutique feel which is also nice. My main complaint is the wifi - 19000 yen a night is a lot to ask these days of leisure travelers, especially for a hotel that provides everything else.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views of Osaka
3  Thank scorpio29
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Scorpio 29
Greetings from The St. Regis Osaka.
We appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review and thank you very much for your kind comments about the hotels, facilities, standards and especially about our service.
We appreciate your clarification in regards to the complimentary WI-FI at Rue D’or that was implemented only on November 26, following our guests valued feedback, like yours and also I would like thank you for your constructive comment about the TV channels and I pleased to inform that early next month we will have an additional 6 international channels available in our rooms TVs;
With regarding your recommendation about local restaurants menus, I m sure our butler concur that definitely there is room for improvement.
In closing, may I thank you, once again, for all constructive comments and all team and I look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to St Regis Osaka in the future.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

It's hard to find any faults at all with the St. Regis Osaka, and really I only have one quibble (which I'll mention later). We stayed here for 3 nights recently and it is easily among the nicest hotels I've every visited, including a half dozen ridiculously overpriced 5-star establishments in Central London where I've stayed on business. Everything about this hotel is absolutely top quality, from the furniture, bedding, in-room control systems, lobby, Zen garden in outside the lobby, and yes even the service, though some other reviewers seem to have had issues in that regard. Our experience with the service was fantastic although there is some truth to the complaints of language-barrier issues, but that seems only to be certain staff. Most were well fluent enough in English that we had no problems.

The location is wonderful as well - just above a subway station as has been noted, and very easy to find. It's also at the north-end of a pretty vibrant arcade shopping area, which gets more and more vibrant the further south you go. It ends in the Namba area (or maybe goes further?), which is full of restaurants and pubs and a fun place to wander around at night.

The one issue which really bothered me was no free wifi in the lobby or bar area; that smacks to me of pure greed. It's bad enough that high-end hotels charge for internet access when 95% of 2- and 3-star hotels offer it free as an enticement, but I understand somewhat the motiviation since a large percentage of the clientele at a top-end hotel is likely business travellers for whom the added expense isn't an issue. But as a holiday traveller who just wants to check email once a day or maybe search for a restaurant or pub, not offering free wifi in public areas is a big dis-incentive for me, even moreso when I know how little it would cost the hotel. This is a policy the St. Regis would do well to change.

One more note, to management if you happen to respond: can you please Please PLEASE tell me the brand name of the pillows? I absolutely LOVED them and forgot to sneak a peek at the tags before we left. Even if they're a Japanese brand, I loved them so much I'd be willing to try to purchase them from overseas! Feel free to send me a private message if that's more appropriate than posting it. I would be very appreciative either way.

3  Thank pw_sf
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear p_sf

Thank you very much for your wonderful review that posted on Trip Advisor.

It's a great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed the stay with us Total guest satisfaction is our utmost priority and it is thanks to your positive comment that we are able to maintain and further improve on our product as well as service standards.

We would like to inform you that we are offering free WIFII at our cafe 'Le Rue D'Or" located at first floor of the hotel and open from 6.30 am untill 10.00 pm, and please accept our apologies if our team didn’t inform you.

In closing, I will contact you directly regarding our St Regis Pillow and thank you for choosing The St. Regis Osaka. We hope that we will see you again in the near future!

With best regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The ST REgis is a nice refuge in the busy city of Osaka. It is on the 12th floor and has limitted access whcih makes it nice and quiet.

Only ate breakfast here and it was very nice. Service was good, though I think the butlers are not well versed on the good retaurants in town.

2  Thank mdbasile

Dear mdbasile
Greetings from The St. Regis Osaka.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on your recent stay with us.

It is really pleasing and motivating for us to receive such compliment from our valued guests and we are glad that you are satisfied with almost every effort that we make here at The St. Regis Osaka

We will share your comment with our Chief Butler, regarding a better preparationwith complete list of trustful restaurants to reccomend

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at The St. Regis Osaka and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2012

I love the size of the rooms and the excellent service. A little out of the way from major shopping spots but Osaka is highly accessible by the subway system. In fact we walked up and down Shinsaibashi and even all the way to Takashimaya in Namba. With all the kobe beef that we've been eating, I would say it's a good way to burn up all the calories. I can't thank the concierge enough for recommending a local restaurant specializing in A5 beef called WAGYUURYOURIKANAME (Kaname for short, and please refer to my review on the restaurant on what best to order) which is about 8 minutes walk from the hotel.
This hotel is not cheap by any standards but I guess you get what you pay for.

1  Thank littlesycogirl

Dear littlesycogirl

Warmest greetings from The St. Regis Osaka

Thank you for sharing your review on your recent stay with us

Your compliments are highly appreciated. It's always a great pleasure reading a positive review from our valuable guest such as yours, especially your comment to our concierge /butler team and their reccomandation of one of best beef restaurant

On the behalf of the team, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the near future.

With Best Regards,
Giuseppe Fornillo

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Ok, so my wife and I have stayed in some nice hotels but this one is our new #1 hotel experience ever!

Yes, it is expensive, Yes, it is a long way from home but Yes we will stay here anytime we are in Osaka! Wow! From the moment you pull up to the cookies and refreshments on arrival In your room, to the elegance of even walking the halls. Wow! Lighting is perfect, ambiance is amazing and then there is the room! Wow! We had a city view on the 26th floor. Holy cow it was amazing. We walk in and the automatic curtains open revealing the city below... The lights adjust to the ideal setting for the room automatically. Everything is run from a console at the bed. Wow!

Form and function in the bathroom was amazing. If you've been to Japan you know the Toto toilets are nice but heated seats, shower heads everywhere and the biggest fluffy towels and robes I've ever had. All we can say is Wow!

Don't miss this once in a lifetime experience if you are ever in Osaka!

I would have rated it a 7 out of 5 if it would have let me.

Wow!

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Jeremy R
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Jeremy R

I really appreciate the time you took to write a review of your recent stay here at St Regis Osaka. We sincerely value all comments and we are grateful to be your # 1 hotel ever.

We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed our, facilities and services. Your feedback is definitely an important aspect in our self assessment as it helps us to know that we are providing the best services to our guests, the most important aspect of our operation.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Osaka .

Giuseppe

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We stayed one night on an SPG award, while transferring between two cities. Very good impression from the start, and it is worth saying that, unlike some other top hotels, both check-in and check-out were friendly and efficient. The room was impeccable and comfortable, with enough space for in-room dining. Spacious, top of the range bathroom and amenities. The room offers a "butler service", not that we have used it that much, but it's certainly convenient when you want to make sure to have a table at the (small, but very good) bar. The hotel is non-smoking, there are smoking spaces in the zen garden outside the bar.
The only lowlight is arranging travel to the Airport: there is no direct coach/limo connection (which is almost standard in Tokyo) so you're off to a combination of taxi and train. But staff were a bit confused (and, as a consequence, potentially confusing) and seemed to be unaware that there are domestic flights from KIX as well, almost recommending us the wrong airport. There is definitely room for improvement there.

4  Thank MCMember

Dear MC

Greetings from The St. Regis Osaka.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor.

We also appreciate your comments in regards our concierge and sharing your experience with the team we concur that definitely there is room for improvement .

In closing, may I thank you, once again, and look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back to St Regis Osaka in the future

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed 10 nights during a business trip while also enjoying the many sights of Japan. We decided to stay in one hotel as our base camp and do day trips exploring other areas. Most of our travel experience has been for vacation and not very much business travel. This hotel is geared for professional business travel as you would expect in a large city such as Osaka, but at the same time we still found the staff very friendly and helpful. We did not find a language barrier as some other reviewers, especially compared to other places we visited. Service is "white-glove" all the way and we were very impressed with the Japanese culture. Everywhere we went we found high levels of service, and staff extremely well mannered and respectful. So refreshing although we Canadians must seem rather barbaric in comparison! You get the picture.

The rooms are clean and quite spacious, especially the bathroom. If you need anything there is a butler available at all times. There is a well stocked mini-bar but a little pricey. We picked up items at the market store 2 blocks away. TV was great and we had free wireless because of our extended stay package. The restaurants in the hotel looked very nice but we did not try them. There are lots or restaurants nearby with so many amazing and unique foods to try. Also a huge shopping district that has everything from pastry shops to designer labels. The coffee is amazing and there are quite a few coffee shops to choose from. It was interesting to find egg salad sandwiches in the coffee shops, so comforting if you're missing food from home!

This hotel is very well situated to many sights, including the Osaka Castle, canals and rose garden, etc. Subway is right at the corner and travel by subway, bus or train takes you everywhere you want to go. Do your homework or ask for help as the network of subway/train lines can be confusing, especially with limited english. Also some of the stations (Osaka) have huge underground shopping malls which are a maze to navigate. This was one of our best adventures and likened the experience to "Amazing Race"!

We researched many hotels in the area and read all of the reviews which we found most helpful and must say that this was the best choice for location, service and overall value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank 1000IslandsAdmiral
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear 1000 Islands

Thank you for sharing your experience at St Regis Osaka
I appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review about our Hotel and the city of Osaka and hope that this will be useful for future guests

An important part of our self-assessment in knowing we are providing the best services to our guests is from receiving feedback.

The entire team and I looking forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay at St Regis Osaka in the near future