“Property was good but quality of food and service needs to improve....”

The St. Regis Osaka
Ranked #3 of 351 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Pros- Building is new so everything is clean and comfortable. Stayed in the grand deluxe premier room on the 20th floor with a view-bath which had a large window adjacent to the tub that overlooked the city of Osaka. Shower pressure was excellent . Staff from the bell to the front desk, concierge/butler and waiter at the breakfast room were very helpful.

Cons- Needs to improve a LOT on food. Especially their room service menu for sandwiches and the afternoon tea menu at the lobby bar/tea room. Club sandwich was dreadful with a terrible looking slither of orange coloured cheese, the ones you would llikely find in supermarkets or fastfood chains, I could not finish my plate due to it's unappealing presentation. The chicken in the club was unimpressive too, they need to learn how to fix proper sandwiches for the price they charge...
Breakfast on a week day was smooth but on Saturday it became too full for it's capacity, we agreed to wait in our room until the table was ready but did not receive any call after twenty minutes. Called them and turns out the table was ready after all, how strange.

Afternoon tea- This was already included in our package. After my rather disappointing tea experience at the Ritz Osaka several years ago was not particularly enthusiastic but tried anyway turned out to be mediocre and a let down. As I have mentioned the building itself is pristine and beautiful so the bar/lobby tea room is cozy with high ceilings and huge windows a perfect setting for a nice cup of tea when the weather proves to be sunny. However I suppose the waiters are not used to serving afternoon tea, the guy who brought us the tower just left the table without explaining what was on each tray...bizarre. The aforementioned sandwich was probably made by the same kitchen so I will not repeat on the quality. The cheesecake and the sponge cake was good, scones were too hard and chewy like buiscuits, strangely my Darjeeling tea did not arrive for 20 minutes so had to remind them..the room was not even full and there were plenty of waiters so puzzled why this happened.

I will probably stay at this hotel due to it's cleanliness compared to other options in Osaka but will skip the inroom dining and the tea menu at the lobby in the future. Take the subway to Shinsai bashi or Namba which is only one and two stops where you will find plenty of other dining options.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kauailover11
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for staying with us in January and for providing us with you feedback about your experience. Obviously some aspects of your stay with us were totally unsatisfactory and I am sorry that you had such a poor experience. In the time since your visit we have made some changes to our offerings and I would be happy to introduce them to you.

I would really appreciate the chance to talk with you further please feel free to contact me directly upon the email address below. If at all possible I would like to make up for our failings in January.

Your sincerely,
Malcolm Omond
malcolm.omond@stregis.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed here on the last night of our week-long trip to Japan - and what a way to end the trip! From the check-in (where numerous apologies where issued for the simple fact that we had to wait 10 minutes before our room was ready for an early check-in) all the way to check out (where the lady at reception knew my name before I even had to tell her my room number) this has been one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. The most astonishing was the pretty decent price for the room (around JPY 22,000 on their website).

The hotel is very new, and yet the rooms have a classy timeless feel to them, whilst having every bit of modern technology (automated blinds, waterproof TV in the bathtub, the de riguer automated toilet). The communal areas are also very tastefully decorated, as only upmarket japanese places can be. The bar is beautiful, as is the outdoor Zen garden. The only real pity is the fact that the hotel lacks a swimming pool / sauna and the gym is pocket-sized. Even in a business hotel these two amenities would have been appreciated.

Due to SPG Platinum status we received an upgrade to a very good sized Grand Deluxe room, with great views of Osaka. Also, because there is no Club Lounge, we got to enjoy the full buffet breakfast for free in a "cordoned off area" of the restaurant. This was again, one of the best buffets I've ever had in Asia, and well worth paying for.

The location is ok, a few blocks from the main tourist sites, but once again, this is more of a business hotel. Service was impeccable, and the personal butler service a nice touch, with good (and often practical) restaurant reccomendations (such as, a child friendly izakaya, etc). Whilst on this subject: the sushi bar right next to the hotel has an amazing lunch deal, and one of the best sushi we've had during our trip!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rafkam
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We spent 3 nights end of December in St Regis.
The experience was absolutely brilliant.
Hotel is perfectly located, in the heart of Osaka, directly connected to subway and surrounded by a number of really nice restaurants.
The hotel is quite new (I guess a bit more than 1 year) but perfectly decorated, not too modern and not too classic. In fact it is a very cosy place and you don't really feel is only 1 year old.
The rooms are big and perfectly layed out, with all amenities. Bed is a real King size, bathroom is large and comfortable and the view on the city, especially on the evening is great.
The staff is absolutely brilliant, helpful, warming welcoming you every time you're back but still keeping a distance that do not feel you uncomfortable.
The bar, the restaurant and the garden are really nice, and having a drink, a breakfast or a diner there has always been a pleasure.
We really spent a great time in this hotel and would therefore strongly recommend it for any stay in Osaka, whatever business or leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room as the city view is great.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed December 30, 2011

It has been a few months since I went, but I thought I would share my experience of staying there in May 2011 for 3 nights.

The service at this hotel was great. Our butler, who we did not use very much at all, (aside from having him find my lost phone in my car that was taken by the valet) was great to have. He was friendly, and just knowing that we could call upon someone was nice to know. Check-in was quick, but with only 2 desks, I can see things being bogged down if there were a number of guests wanting to check in at once.

The room was amazing. It was large, and comfy and had a lot of different gadgets. It was really hard to navigate things at first since you had to control everything from lights to curtains from a touch panel on the night table. The walk in closet was also very nice to have as well, although a bit unnecessary for a short trip like ours. The bathroom was amazing! It was aesthetically pleasing, as well as well-equipped.

We ate at the restaurant next to the lobby on one occasion, and it was good, but not great. I think what I did not like, which is not at all the fault of the hotel, was the loud drunk business men that were eating there.

Location, not the best, but close to a subway. It's a business area and not a touristy area. Since it is a new hotel, not all of the taxi drivers knew how to get there as well. It still didn't make things inconvenient, like staying at the Hyatt, which is very far away.

I can't write too much, as it has been so long since I had been, but I wanted to share a few photos and thoughts. I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't drive! The valet parking is expensive!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ernieinjapan
Reviewed December 29, 2011

What a beautiful hotel and such terrific service. Only in Osaka at less than $300 a night. If fate, or irresistible urge to have takoyaki, takes you to Osaka without question the place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank KenS8888
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed at the St Regis for 3 nights in November while on vacation. The location is excellent, the service is impeccable as usual, and everything is as it should be in a hotel. On the day I checked out, my wife discovered that she left her iPhone behind in the hotel when we reached the train station! I rushed back to the hotel and informed the Bell captain what had happened. Immediately, he recognized me and brought me up to our room and frantically helped me search for the iPhone and found the phone in some corner of the room! Mr Takeshi was most helpful and kind and his willingness to go the extra mile made the stay even more special than it already ever was. I will definitely be staying at the St Regis Osaka whenever I am there!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Winston668
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I am usually quite picky, especially because the standards in Japan are high, although not really everywhere. This was my first stay at St. Regis in Osaka. The overall interiors (lobby, bar, restaurant and rooms) are excellent and tasteful. Great attention is also given to little details. The service is also very good. If budget is not a concern, I definitively recommend this hotel. On a little unsatisfactory note, the broadband capacity (at least a my floor) is near to nothing, so do not expect to watch movies o similar on your PC. Sending/receiving e-mails however is no problem. I also have to add that, even though the bar is beatifully decorated and elegant (with piano bar), the Mojito I had was not really good. It tasted like ginger ale with some mint and ice. Worth to mention is also the "stone garden" at the 12th floor as well as the butler service in addition to the minibar (with a Nespresso) and the poweder/shower rooms. The breakfast was excellent, particularly the pastry. The "egg chef" (aka "eggs on demand") seems a bit challenged tough. The rest however makes it up for those little inconveniences. All in all it is surely a "go".

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with view on the city side
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business