“Wonderful! Truly 5 star!”

The St. Regis Osaka
Ranked #3 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Matsusaka, Japan
“Wonderful! Truly 5 star!”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

It has been a few months since I went, but I thought I would share my experience of staying there in May 2011 for 3 nights.

The service at this hotel was great. Our butler, who we did not use very much at all, (aside from having him find my lost phone in my car that was taken by the valet) was great to have. He was friendly, and just knowing that we could call upon someone was nice to know. Check-in was quick, but with only 2 desks, I can see things being bogged down if there were a number of guests wanting to check in at once.

The room was amazing. It was large, and comfy and had a lot of different gadgets. It was really hard to navigate things at first since you had to control everything from lights to curtains from a touch panel on the night table. The walk in closet was also very nice to have as well, although a bit unnecessary for a short trip like ours. The bathroom was amazing! It was aesthetically pleasing, as well as well-equipped.

We ate at the restaurant next to the lobby on one occasion, and it was good, but not great. I think what I did not like, which is not at all the fault of the hotel, was the loud drunk business men that were eating there.

Location, not the best, but close to a subway. It's a business area and not a touristy area. Since it is a new hotel, not all of the taxi drivers knew how to get there as well. It still didn't make things inconvenient, like staying at the Hyatt, which is very far away.

I can't write too much, as it has been so long since I had been, but I wanted to share a few photos and thoughts. I recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't drive! The valet parking is expensive!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ernieinjapan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed December 29, 2011

What a beautiful hotel and such terrific service. Only in Osaka at less than $300 a night. If fate, or irresistible urge to have takoyaki, takes you to Osaka without question the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank KenS8888
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed at the St Regis for 3 nights in November while on vacation. The location is excellent, the service is impeccable as usual, and everything is as it should be in a hotel. On the day I checked out, my wife discovered that she left her iPhone behind in the hotel when we reached the train station! I rushed back to the hotel and informed the Bell captain what had happened. Immediately, he recognized me and brought me up to our room and frantically helped me search for the iPhone and found the phone in some corner of the room! Mr Takeshi was most helpful and kind and his willingness to go the extra mile made the stay even more special than it already ever was. I will definitely be staying at the St Regis Osaka whenever I am there!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Winston668
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I am usually quite picky, especially because the standards in Japan are high, although not really everywhere. This was my first stay at St. Regis in Osaka. The overall interiors (lobby, bar, restaurant and rooms) are excellent and tasteful. Great attention is also given to little details. The service is also very good. If budget is not a concern, I definitively recommend this hotel. On a little unsatisfactory note, the broadband capacity (at least a my floor) is near to nothing, so do not expect to watch movies o similar on your PC. Sending/receiving e-mails however is no problem. I also have to add that, even though the bar is beatifully decorated and elegant (with piano bar), the Mojito I had was not really good. It tasted like ginger ale with some mint and ice. Worth to mention is also the "stone garden" at the 12th floor as well as the butler service in addition to the minibar (with a Nespresso) and the poweder/shower rooms. The breakfast was excellent, particularly the pastry. The "egg chef" (aka "eggs on demand") seems a bit challenged tough. The rest however makes it up for those little inconveniences. All in all it is surely a "go".

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with view on the city side
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Luigi_Fino
Reviewed November 18, 2011

A very good hotel centrally located with excellent service. Relatively new and certainly bears the St Regis name well with all the right touches.

What's good? The rooms are excellent and well laid out. Bathrooms are a mix of modern with Japanese touches (everybody has to love the Multi-function toilets). The bath robes were ultra comfortable! Breakfast was excellent and there was even a special area set aside for Platinum guests which was a nice touch. Staff are very polite and very efficient. Location is about a 10 min walk from a main shopping area although at that time of the year it was blisteringly hot.

What's not hot? The technology on the tv and sound units was so complicated that I had to call someone up to show me how it worked. The manual wasn't quite cutting it. Check in was very slow with only two desks but I put that down to teething problems.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank HMCinSG
New York
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Flew to Osaka for a few days during the Golden Week. The hotel is only a year old and my Japanese is non-existent so be sure to print out the name and a map is useful. There is a subway in the basement if you are arriving by subway. Arrived to smartly dressed and professional baggage handlers took care to ensure nothing broke or got lost. Check in on the 12th floor was professional and patient. We had a lot of questions and they were well prepared and trained. Our room was on the 25th floor. All the room are above the 14th floor affording a great view from just about any room. The room was large enough for 2 double beds, a walk in closet, small desk and significant bathroom. Butler service was professional, subtle and knowledgeable. We opted for a breakfast package which came with bento box option or buffet. Plenty of options for all types of diets. Location is fine as Osaka has an efficient and convenient subway system.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank gerardad
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Second time staying at St. Regis and have been disappointed both times. But, was especially disappointed with the St. Regis Osaka. Found myself having to repeat myself as their English was not good. Found certain things about the hotels not be very friendly to " Westerners" even though it is an American chain. Found location to not be conducive to tourism. There are few restaurants around. No full service spa. Breakfast selection was not great. Most of the staff were very nice and pleasant. But, no consitency possibly because of the language barrier. I have had much better experiences at lower end Starwood hotels. Suggestion, don't pay full price! Instead use SPG points.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Traveler20117
St.RegisOsaka, Manager at The St. Regis Osaka, responded to this review, October 8, 2011
Dear Guest

I wanted to write and thank you for staying at our hotel this past month. I must say I am disappointed that our efforts and service did not meet your expectations. In particular you note that we were not able to communicate effectively in English.

Of course I understand that this will lead to a lot of frustration so we were not able to give you the right information about our surrounds here at The St Regis Osaka. As the newest Starwood property in Japan and only St Regis we are striving to represent the very best of our rand and provide our guests with exactly the experience that they are expecting.

In my role as Hotel Manager I am working with the team to refine our communication skills, particularly in English and that way we can be sure that our guests are getting the best out of their time with us. I do hope that your travels will see you return to Osaka one day, it would be my pleasure to show you a little more that Osaka has to offer. Further I know that our team of Associates takes all the feedback our guests give us very seriously, they are striving to show each guest a more refined and exclusive experience every time they return.

Please contact me on this email address (stregis.osaka@stregis.com) if I can assist you in any way.

With best regards,