“Delicious food in the heart of Tennoji”
Review of El Pancho

El Pancho
Ranked #124 of 28,506 Restaurants in Osaka
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Darwin, Australia
“Delicious food in the heart of Tennoji”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

What a fantastic restaurant! My partner and I were here in April 2014 and absolutely loved it.

It is within the top 2 Mexican Restaurants we have been to of all time (The second being Senor Zorba in Santorini, Greece). The serving size for the large vegetarian plate (I can't remember the exact name) was above generous and the food was delicious. The prices were slightly expensive for Japan but only about $16 for the large plate of food and you could probably share it.

The only negative I give this restaurant is that the seats and tables are made of leather which is not fully cured. I am vegetarian and this was a little bit gross to eat off but to each their own.

• Visited April 2014

Osaka, Japan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, but terrible service.”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Ive been coming here for years, always enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The cook knows how to make good Mexican food. One certain evenings they have a great guitarist/singer who plays nice tunes that add nicely to the atmosphere. Was my favorite Mexican place in Kansai easily. That being said, the last few times Ive been there the service has not been bad, its been terrible! They didn't clear the plates and we had a very hard time even getting them to come to our table. In addition they no longer carry hot sauce such as Tabasco or Tapatio. ( "Death Hot Sauce doest count as a good addition to Mexican food in my opinion and is more of a novelty ). In addition they used to serve a very good margarita rocks but they last two times I visited I only got what amounted to a half shot of tequila in a glass with a few ice cubes. Seriously. They stopped carrying Dos Equis as well. Anyway, I really love the atmosphere and food but unless they improve the customer service and quality of drinks I will sadly no longer visit.

• Visited July 2014
Barwon Heads, Australia
“Authentic Mexican in the heart of japan, who would have thought!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

The food was amazing! Authentic Mexican, not tex mex. I learnt that the manager/head chef has volunteered in Mexican restaurants and lived in Mexico for a year and he speaks English. His wife is Australian and really helpful for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese. (Like me!). The decorations are great and the place has a lot of atmosphere for a cosy restaurant. The only downside is you could make a reservation to save waiting, as it's really popular when we went. I had a great experience.

• Visited June 2014
Osaka
“The only restaurant in Osaka with really bad service”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

The restaurant is always packed and you'll not get a table at the weekend if you haven't booked in advance. That is probably the reason they don't feel the need to bother with customer service.

If you are foreign, you'll often find yourself shoved in a squashed area furthest from the staff with other foriegners which feels a bit, well, weird to say the least. The tables are too close for comfort or privacy and it is very hard to attract the staff's attention to order subsequent drinks.

Why do I go? The burritos are good, very filling and good value at around 1,200 yen. Other dishes can be smaller and would end up as an expensive starter. The avocado fried rice and avocado salad is nice. Drinks are a little expensive.

I used to go maybe every six months for a burrito and just learned to just put up with the staff's attitude. I would recommend El Pancho's for an ex-pat visiting the area but not for a foreign tourist: the bad service would ruin a holiday meal. However, the new much smaller one in Q's Mall, Tennouji has the same menu and politer staff: that's where I go now.

For people complaining that its not authentic: this is a Mexican restuarant in JAPAN! What do you expect!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank omae
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Eat here if you don't mind clearing your own plates”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I consider myself able to get good service out of any place. In general, I ignore tripadvisor reviews that focus on service. But I have to write about this restaurant. I have never seen servers less attentive to customers than here. And I eat out - a lot. There were two for the entire restaurant and they only cared about two things: hanging out by the kitchen waiting for the food to run and clearing empty tables. I saw them all of twice. Once to take my order and once to deliver my food. No, actually I saw them a few times, trying to flag them down several. But to see you have to keep your eyes up and that was not happening. To get my bill I went to the kitchen window and asked for it. Do yourself a favor and eat anywhere but here. Food - as ok as it was - is not worth the anguish of experiencing such incompetence.

• Visited October 2013