“Great Experience with great food”
Review of Yaekatsu

Yaekatsu
Ranked #66 of 38,957 Restaurants in Osaka
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed June 28, 2016 via mobile

Highly recommended for any one looking for some fried goodness, it doesn't get any better than this.

They serve literally everything fried. From veggies, meats and seafood.

Great experience and would definitely recommend for anyone in the Osaka area.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Daniel L
Write a reviewReviews (224)

Reviewed November 24, 2015

Seems like there will always be a queue at Yaekatsu but the queue moves quite fast so we didn't really had to wait long (maybe 15-20 mins). Do note that it is all counter seating so it will challenging for parents bringing little ones.

Well for the food, I can only say it's our new found comfort food. Although it was deep friend, it is NOT oily at all! Even for my wife who absolutely hates fried food love them. My suggestion is to tried out everything on the menu especially them small green pepper. Please note that you should only dip your skewers into the sauce only ONCE!

Date of visit: November 2015
1  Thank IvanLimTS
Reviewed November 14, 2015 via mobile

You now, in travel, at work, or for any other reason, if the are in Osaka, there is Osaka specialty that I have to eat you. It is the "串かつ Kushi-katsu(Skewers)".

"串かつ Kushi-katsu(Skewers)" refers to meat andvegetables on bamboo skewers, is the fast food of Osaka specialty was fried in oil and put it in the bread crumbs. In the "新世界 Shinsekai (New World)" area, there are very many "串かつ Kushi-katsu" restaurants.

Kushi-katsu(Skewer cutlet) restaurant that you want to suggest I contact a Japanese among them is "八重勝 Yaekatsu".

"八重勝 Yaekatsu" is located in the place where it went a little in the back from the main street. There is a street, which is commonly called "Jean Jean Yoko-cho".

Because "八重勝 Yaekatsu" is very popular in Japanese, are lined with always people outside. But, because the "Kushi-katsu(skewers)" is coming out soon, you come earlier than I thought even your order.

To "八重勝 Yaekatsu" also I have also such as Chinese menu menu, which is written in English. So, it can also be ordered without problems in foreign tourists.

Which is also delicious, but especially the two popular menu. It is the "串かつ Kushi-katsu","どて焼き Doteyaki". Both, at 300 yen three, is a classic menu that many Japanese to order. You also Eat Osaka specialties in this delicious restaurant.

Date of visit: November 2015
1  Thank Nakasy
Reviewed November 14, 2015 via mobile

Kurikatsu or kushiage, is literally "fried stick", and is one of the three must-eats when you're in Osaka. The other two is okonomiyaki and takoyaki. Creo-Ru's takoyaki and Mizuno's okonomiyaki are supposedly the some of the best in Osaka, however I was not entirely impressed with the taste. Maybe it's just my tastebuds, as 95% of others seemed to think they are awesome. Both located at Dotonburi.

Back to the kushikatsu, it is about 10-15min walk west of Marriott Hotel (Abeno Harukas building). Turn right just before the Pachinko slots building, walk a further 200m and you will see a stretch of shops. The shop with a queue will be Yaekatsu (the others are relatively empty).

Ask for an English menu once you are seated, and start ordering. The staff are very very polite and accommodating, we didn't feel pressured to hasten the feast and vacate the seats.

The menu pretty much has two items: oyster, egg, meat, vegetables etc that you deep fry, and tendons that the cook boils in miso paste. Get a mixture of all, and don't forget the cold sake or beers!

Oddly enough, the deep fried items do not taste as greasy as you'd think. And the miso tendons, though not everyone's cup of tea, is definitely mine. Really enjoyed all the food available.

Just something important to note, NO DOUBLE DIPPING. There will be a pot of sauce in front of you. When the frycook serves you the stick, you take the stick, dip as much as you would like, and put it on your plate. Do not take a bite and dip it again, it will be considered a taboo. They are very particular about this, and there are numerous signs around to remind patrons. The cabbage serves as a side, I picked it up with my hand and dip it in the sauce.

My wife and I truly enjoyed the food and ambience here. The patrons are a mix of both locals and foreigners. I will make it a must to come back when I'm in Osaka again.

Date of visit: October 2015
2  Thank Austin J
Reviewed June 27, 2015 via mobile

Its my second visit to Osaka special for my curiosity of Kushikatsuyaekatsu. When 1st visit there is along queue so I cancelled.
I have a chance to come by and taste Kushikatsuyaekatsu. Woow so crispy Kushikatsu. I love it. Recommended to try.

Date of visit: June 2015