All reviews korea town tatami room korean food food stands okonomiyaki place a great place to stay ten minute walk tsuruhashi guesthouse dorm station district
Reviewed October 3, 2016

I stayed for a little over a week in Osaka. Hiro's Guest House is where I ended up spending my nights, since I wanted cheap accommodation, and it ended up being a fantastic decision. This is the place you pick if you are not only just looking for a place to check-in and spend the night, but you also want a genuine experience that you don't get often while traveling: seeing the bustling local hotspot of restaurants and shops that is Korea Town, knowing where all of the best ramen, onsen, yakitori, okonomiyaki, bbq and more are around the neighborhood in walking distance, and the best of all, a friend who is happy to share all of this.

The place is located a 15 min walk from Tsuruhashi station, It's very easy to find and the station leads directly to the subway and the local JR Osaka Loop line, which makes it all the more easier for JR Rail Pass holders. You could even take the 40 min walk to the popular Namba area of Osaka. The dormitory rooms are comfortable and equipped with curtains, and there's a tatami styled room on the third floor. You can do laundry, there's a full kitchenette for all of your culinary needs, a shared fridge, and all rooms have AC. Unlike some guest houses, this place has no curfew due to the automated password lock, so you just have to be mindful of the other guests. The downstairs lobby area is perfect for hanging out or having a drink even when the host is out. The humble nature of the area will most likely make it that you might have the entire dormitory to yourself as well.

However, the focus isn't all the tangible facts. What this place offers is something much more precious. The Guest House is run solely by a humble man named Hiro. He speaks English, Korean, and Japanese well so you don't have to worry about communication. He is what would make your journey into Osaka whole. He has folders with all the local transport detailed out, a whiteboard of the nearby area around Korea Town with all of the good local restaurants highlighted with their operating hours on top of Hiro's recommendations (and cool tidbits from guests around the world), you can talk to him about your plans and he could tell you his two cents about what to do, but best of all, if you can make it back before his closing hour, you can have a nice evening talk and maybe even share a few drinks with him. I've only known him for a short while, but it's enough to make you feel that you are both friends and that you belong.

If you pick this place, you won't be staying at a Guest House. You'll be staying over at Hiro's, as a welcome guest and friend.

1  Thank Henry_CAN
Reviewed October 3, 2016

This was my second stay at Hiro's. I stayed only a week this time, and while the layout has changed a little, I still experienced all the good things I found at Hiro's last time: comfort, safety, delicious food a hop away, interesting conversation partners, and the most hospitable guest house owner in all of Osaka.

To comply with standards, a few renovations were made, but the overall feeling remains the same. I felt right at home again, despite more than a year having passed. There is now only one shower, which is really only a concern if there are many people staying (which there weren't while I was there). Even if there were many people and shower access got more difficult, Hiro has some amazing public baths and local hot springs to recommend. Honestly, it's more fun to just go to those anyways.

I've gotten to know Hiro and this guest house a bit more, and I've stayed in more hotels and other forms of accommodation in Japan, and I can definitely say it is the only place I would want to stay in Osaka. All kinds of things happen when you travel, but I have a lot less to worry about by staying here: everything's just awesome, to the point that it's been hard for me to leave. Plus, having stayed in Korea Town has often become a conversation piece with other Japanese people for me. Even if you aren't able to stay here, do drop by for a drink and get something to eat in Korea Town. It's a good place to see a side of Japan that most travelers, unfortunately, don't.

Reviewed September 26, 2016

We stayed for four nights in the private double room at Hiro's Guest House. Hiro had just finished renovations in his guesthouse, so everything was very new and clean feeling.The room was traditional tatami-style and very spacious. As a slide sleeper, I found the mattress a bit thin and personally would have preferred one that was slightly thicker.

The guest house is about a 10-minute walk from the subway stop. While it's a bit of a walk, we enjoyed staying in a non-tourist neighbourhood and walking through the covered market every day. Koreatown was an interesting destination, and we enjoyed learning a little bit about Korean immigrants in Japan from Hiro.

The main reason to stay is to hang out with Hiro. He's the kind of host who's always up for a chat and a great source of help. (Definitely visit his local okonomiyaki place. It was amazing!)

Hiro really does go above and beyond. We were really looking forward to going to the Danjiri festival in the neighbouring town of Kishiwada during our visit. We asked him for some help reading the website. He sent us off to eat while he did some research, and by the time we came back, he had called the organizers for information!

Since Hiro recently reopened his guesthouse after renovations, we had the entire place to ourselves. Even when it was only us and Hiro, the place had a very laid-back and friendly vibe. We look forward to coming back to see Hiro again and meeting a house full of travelers!

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2016

stayed here 2 nights with 6 other mates. we had the whole second floor to ourselves. hiro, the host, is an extremely friendly and accomodating person. he helped arrange a re-delivery of my pocket wifi. he is full of local knowledge and is pretty much a top bloke. the place is so clean as well, top marks.

free wifi. soul cleansing toilets. free laundry (you do it yourself on the roof). very spacious.

will return again one day.

Date of stay: May 2015
Reviewed February 20, 2016

I been here twice last here staying around 4 nights each visit. The location is a bit of a walk from the subway but that's actually the good thing about this guest house. You'll find this place not as pack as other guest house and it's more clean as well. Also a note about the location, the guest house is located in Korean town, which is quite an old authentic neighborhood. So if you're one of those traveller that enjoys seeing the usual routines of the locals, then this place is absolutely great for that. The neighborhood is very safe and I find myself walking outside after midnight just to catch the atmosphere of this old town.
Also there are some very good small restaurant near this place and Hiro knows it all. My first time here, he would write out what to order in the diner on a sticky note so you won't have to miss out on the best food.

Room tip: Definitely go to the ramen place Hiro recommends, it's a bit of a walk but really good!!
Date of stay: May 2015