All reviews korea town korean food food stands a great place to stay dorm room ten minute walk tsuruhashi guesthouse station english district
Reviewed October 3, 2016

This was my second stay at Hiro's. I stayed only a week this time, and while the layout has changed a little, I still experienced all the good things I found at Hiro's last time: comfort, safety, delicious food a hop away, interesting conversation partners, and the most hospitable guest house owner in all of Osaka.

To comply with standards, a few renovations were made, but the overall feeling remains the same. I felt right at home again, despite more than a year having passed. There is now only one shower, which is really only a concern if there are many people staying (which there weren't while I was there). Even if there were many people and shower access got more difficult, Hiro has some amazing public baths and local hot springs to recommend. Honestly, it's more fun to just go to those anyways.

I've gotten to know Hiro and this guest house a bit more, and I've stayed in more hotels and other forms of accommodation in Japan, and I can definitely say it is the only place I would want to stay in Osaka. All kinds of things happen when you travel, but I have a lot less to worry about by staying here: everything's just awesome, to the point that it's been hard for me to leave. Plus, having stayed in Korea Town has often become a conversation piece with other Japanese people for me. Even if you aren't able to stay here, do drop by for a drink and get something to eat in Korea Town. It's a good place to see a side of Japan that most travelers, unfortunately, don't.

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2016

We stayed for four nights in the private double room at Hiro's Guest House. Hiro had just finished renovations in his guesthouse, so everything was very new and clean feeling.The room was traditional tatami-style and very spacious. As a slide sleeper, I found the mattress a bit thin and personally would have preferred one that was slightly thicker.

The guest house is about a 10-minute walk from the subway stop. While it's a bit of a walk, we enjoyed staying in a non-tourist neighbourhood and walking through the covered market every day. Koreatown was an interesting destination, and we enjoyed learning a little bit about Korean immigrants in Japan from Hiro.

The main reason to stay is to hang out with Hiro. He's the kind of host who's always up for a chat and a great source of help. (Definitely visit his local okonomiyaki place. It was amazing!)

Hiro really does go above and beyond. We were really looking forward to going to the Danjiri festival in the neighbouring town of Kishiwada during our visit. We asked him for some help reading the website. He sent us off to eat while he did some research, and by the time we came back, he had called the organizers for information!

Since Hiro recently reopened his guesthouse after renovations, we had the entire place to ourselves. Even when it was only us and Hiro, the place had a very laid-back and friendly vibe. We look forward to coming back to see Hiro again and meeting a house full of travelers!

Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2016

stayed here 2 nights with 6 other mates. we had the whole second floor to ourselves. hiro, the host, is an extremely friendly and accomodating person. he helped arrange a re-delivery of my pocket wifi. he is full of local knowledge and is pretty much a top bloke. the place is so clean as well, top marks.

free wifi. soul cleansing toilets. free laundry (you do it yourself on the roof). very spacious.

will return again one day.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2016

I been here twice last here staying around 4 nights each visit. The location is a bit of a walk from the subway but that's actually the good thing about this guest house. You'll find this place not as pack as other guest house and it's more clean as well. Also a note about the location, the guest house is located in Korean town, which is quite an old authentic neighborhood. So if you're one of those traveller that enjoys seeing the usual routines of the locals, then this place is absolutely great for that. The neighborhood is very safe and I find myself walking outside after midnight just to catch the atmosphere of this old town.
Also there are some very good small restaurant near this place and Hiro knows it all. My first time here, he would write out what to order in the diner on a sticky note so you won't have to miss out on the best food.

Room tip: Definitely go to the ramen place Hiro recommends, it's a bit of a walk but really good!!
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank tonycS1837OH
Reviewed January 2, 2016

me and my husband stayed in Osaka for 2 days, Hiro was a very friendly and nice guesthouse, he's very helpful showing us every great place in osaka.
The bunk bed was very clean! even though its a budget guesthouse, the place is very neat.
The place is a little bit far from the train station, you've to walk a little bit far from the guesthouse.
But it doesn't matter because the surrounding was great to walk.

• Trip type: Traveled solo