“A recommended hotel! ”

Ranked #27 of 309 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
A TripAdvisor Member
“A recommended hotel! ”
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

For sure I recommended this hotel. Strategic location and great museum.
I was here with my family and friends (a total of 5 adults and 4 kids) visiting osaka and universal studio osaka.
It was a pleasant stay and as the location is very strategic so it was easy to go around using JR.

Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We travelled to Osaka as a group of 4 (2 Adults & 2 children), the location of the hotel next to OCAT very handy. The triple room we booked is clean and spacious and the view is stunning. The fridge is empty ready for you to stock up your choice of grocery from the convenient store downstairs.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Honsan888
Manila
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Hotel Monterey Grasmere, Osaka, Japan

While the location of this hotel is strategic, the management and cleanliness of rooms needs to be drastically improved. We stayed in this hotel from December 30, 2013 to January 3, 2014. Upon entering our room 2807, I immediately felt disappointed at the small tight room and the cleanliness of the room. The carpet, seemed closer to gray as the original red pattern was so much faded. I was walking around the bedroom in my white athletic socks and was surprised to see them turn dark gray after about 20 minutes of going around unpacking. The side table where the phone rests and the room desks had spots of stickiness.

After coming from our Hotel in Tokyo, this was a major letdown. I went down to the front desk to inquire of a possibility to change rooms, but the front desk staff, a Ms. Watanabe said I need to pay more from our current double room to a twin room. I said why would I need to pay more when the prices I booked for were the same, I wanted a queen bed instead of 2 beds. I reasoned out, that I booked 7 rooms, as I organized a group of 18 pax for this trip. Maybe out of exasperation, she raised her voice that a change would be impossible. She did this in front of other guest lining up to checked in which embarrassed me. As a paying guest, I don't think I deserved the treatment, and if it wasn't possible to change room because they were full, so be it, but it should have been communicated in a better way. This is very un-Japanese, as all through our stay, we only had good things to say about the Japanese people. To think that she works in the hospitality industry, she needs to undergo customer relations training. I wrote the General Manager of the hotel immediately the same day to report the incident but until today I have not heard anything from him.

On the eve of our departure day I was hoping to pay for our bill as we had to go to the airport bus station(OCAT) at 6:20am but that wasn't possible because the statement of account will only be available at about 3am. I came down to the front desk to settle our room charges at 5:45am. Since I have excess Japanese Yen which I didn't need, I wanted to use the JPY as payment instead of the credit card. When I checked in on the 30th, I already informed the clerk that checked us in that I want that payment flexibility.

To my surprise, the person who attended to me, a H. Iwaki said that my bill was paid already when I inquired by whom, he just said it was paid. I insisted that they may have used my credit card voucher that I signed when I checked in, he said "NO". His colleague, a Mr. K. Inada joined in and said that there was nothing they could do because it was paid. I explained that the reason why I want to pay in cash is to use up the leftover JPY and avoid unnecessary foreign exchange charges that the card company accrues to any FX charge.

Being in the Front Desk, it is assumed that they can speak English to be able to communicate with their foreign guests, but in this situation, they used it as a defense by saying it has been paid and I have no choice but tho accept the situation as is. To make matters worst, they were snickering and smiling "in a insulting way" as I was taking the lift back to my floor. I also wanted to clarify why I had extra charges in my bill for Universal Studios ticket purchase, when my daughter who bought Universal tickets and paid the hotel in cash and therefore should not be included in the bill. Again, they could not give me a logical explanation. I will just take this up with my credit card company separately. Afterwards, as I recounted my experience with my companions, they also complained about the same treatment, including not being given the choice to pay cash instead of the forced credit card payment.

This experience made me decide never to return to this hotel nor recommend this hotel to anyone unless they change their management policies, which includes their treatment of guests, cleanliness of rooms and choice of payment arrangements.

Trip Advisor has always been our basis of choosing where to stay from experiences of other travelers and I am just sharing my own.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Hilda U
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is my 1st time staying in the Kansai area, and Hotel Moneterey Grasmere Osaka did not disappoint me at all.

The staff can speak quite decent English, rooms are big and clean.

The view is beautiful!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blitz77
Brisbane
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is a great choice for travellers to Osaka. We took the train from the airport to JR Namba station (changed at Imamiya). When you exit, you can see the sign to the hotel to your right, beside Doutor. It's a couple of minutes from the exit up escalators and a lift to the foyer on Level 22. The chapel is gorgeous. The views also lovely.

We booked a twin room for a bit of extra space. There was plenty, especially by Japanese hotel standards. Everything was clean, I just thought the décor was a bit dowdy (personal observation). Loved having a bath as well as shower. Vending machine on each floor but no ice (reception will deliver). 1 English channel on TV (BBC) but you aren't there to watch TV.

The location was very good. We caught a lot of trains (using JR Namba means more changes, you could walk to Namba-Nankai to reduce this) and it was a 10 minute walk to the Dotombori area. We didn't experience any dining in the hotel, there are so many restaurants within walking distance. We had breakfast at Doutor near the JR Namba exit and utilised the shopping centre and other restaurants without even having to leave the building. Very handy!

After a big New Year's Eve, we appreciated their deal to extend check out to 4pm for 5000yen. Great value and so worth it since we had night flight back to Australia.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NicoleBrisbane
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Rooms were small (as with many hotels in japan) however it was the best hotel we stayed during our journey. Close to dotonbouri and the jr train. Staff were friendly and know very basic basis english.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew T
Tokyo
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Hotel has excellent location only being 10-15mins walk, if that from Nanba and Dotobori areas i.e. whole bunch of restaurants and bars in the area. Food recommendations by staff were useful although I would have preferred more down and dirty for the okonomiyaki. Room not huge but fine, pajamas a nice touch. Did not eat or drink at the restaurant, does not look like there were late night bars in the actual hotel but plenty of options nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends