“Crab lover's heaven”

Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2013

At first my friends and I were hesitant to enter this restaurant, as it looked so nice, it sort of made me think that this place was more for tourists. We were wrong, very wrong. This place is heaven for crab lovers. Not only do they serve crab, their whole course is consisted of crab dishes. Never have I had so many variations of crab dishes, and they were good. The crab sashimi melts in your mouth.The steamed chawan mushi was soft and smooth. The steamed crab legs was okay, not bad, but I have had fresher one in Thailand. The crab soup was interesting. And my favorite, snow crab tempura, was amazing. Now, this place is not cheap, each of us spent about 6000 yen each, but it was worth the experience. My only complaint is that i hadd to keep asking for water.

1  Thank marc d

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Love crabs and I try to visit a Kanidoraku every time I am in Japan. Decided to make reservation in advance for the Hoten (main shop) in Dotonbori district and indeed, it's very advisable especially on weekend evening (or around holiday season). The food quality of this crab cuisine specialist is excellent in any location but the Honten is also a cool site to visit. For smaller parties, try to get window sittings to get great views of Shinsaibashi and Dotonbori districts. A East and West shop is also located nearby so don't be mistaken. Be prepared to splurge a bit for the evening menu or get excellent deals with set lunches.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you go here you can try the crab legs off the grill outside. They taste pretty good, but for the price you will feel a little cheated.

You get three sections of king crab legs that have a wonderful chargrilled flavour. Normally I would be jumping up and down with enthusiasm, but for these three meagre portions, you fork out 700 yen.

You are paying for a famous experience rather than the actual end result and you will feel hard-done-by.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Hit this restaurant on my second and final night in Osaka. Before I continue, if you're planning to be in Osaka and love to eat, stay there for more than three days. Back to the crab. It's definitely a splurge and for us backpackers, a hefty one. We each ordered the cheapest set meal which was 4800 yen. Having saved a bunch of money by being on an experimental free city bus tour, we decided to indulge, since both of us love eating crab.

The meal itself was a feast for all senses. We had six courses of crab and a fruit course to round off the meal. First was a dish of steamed crab legs. The flesh was to be dipped in a vinegary sauce which complemented the sweet flesh very well. Course 2 was my favourite - crab sashimi, sweet, fresh and melt-in-the-mouth. Crab chawanmushi (steamed savoury egg custard) followed and it was also excellent. Good to note that they make something so simple very decadent and delicate tasting all at once. This was followed by a cheesy crab gratin, tempura crab and vegetables, and finally, 4 slices of crab sushi. It was all very tasty and we left stuffed after the fruit course.

Thoughtful of them also to provide porcelain pots for you to deposit empty crab shells in, little metal rods with which you can dig crab meat out of its shells, and hand towels with lemon slices to wash your hands after the meal. The wait staff were attentive and refilled our tea cups regularly. It was a very pleasant dining experience, and if you can, get a table by the window so you have a view of the river. Beautiful.

1  Thank PeishanC
Reviewed December 22, 2012

After a fun day at Universal Studios Japan, me and my friends arrived at the famous Osakan crab restaurant recommended by many. The eponymous mechanical crab stood on top of the cosy-looking restaurant - we had finally arrived at the mecca of crabs restaurants - Kanidoraku Honten!

Located in a multi-story building located by the main bridge crossing the Dotonbori canal, we were quickly ushered up onto one of the levels after a quick request for a non-smoking floor. Upon arriving on the floor, we were seated in a recessed traditional Japanese dining area and served an English menu listing an insane amount of crab sets and ala-carte dishes, as well as a greatly-welcomed warm towel to refresh our physical being!

We ordered a few sets of the Shiratsuyuu - it consisted of boiled snow crab, raw sashimi-like snow crab and king crab, crab chawanmushi (egg custard), broiled snow crab, snow crab tempura, crab maki, crab sushi, clear crab soup and finally, a plate of fruits for dessert (no crab-flavored fruits though, thankfully!) - all this for Y5800! As you might have noticed, the price was a little on the high side, but I can tell any of you reading this that it was worth EVERY SINGLE YEN - let me tell you the reason in one word: Freshness.

The freshness of the crab was unparalleled to anything we've tasted - the sweetness of the meat, no matter in what way the crab was prepared in, was heavenly. And I can assure you, for all of the foreigners visiting Osaka - you had never seen crab prepared in these many ways!

Tools needed for the partaking of crabby goodness:

1) a ceramic dumping bowl for all your consumed shells
2) a metal scraper-like object to dig all the good stuffs out of the hard-to-reach places
3) your bare hands

It's a gastronomical delight for all you crab lovers out there - there literally wasn't any type of other meat offered as far as we could see - a good sign that the restaurant was specialist in the preparation of all manner of crab. And a word of advice: please come absolutely hungry, because you'll want every single inch of your stomach filled up with such heavenly delights!

Oh, and if you still have space, I recommend their crab soup / porridge to be shared between a large group of people! A stock solution of crab meat is placed in the recess of your table, to simmer vegetables and crab meat - a lovely treat on a cold winter's night. And after all the condiments and meat have been consumed, rice is added in to create a thick rice porridge/gruel-like consistency. DELISH! Get the ever-friendly servers to help you prepare the dish in the way it's supposed to - you won't regret it. BON APETIT!

5  Thank Syahms