“Osaka at is best”
Review of Yamatoya Honten

Yamatoya Honten
Ranked #174 of 353 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at Yamatoya Honten in a Japanese style room, our stay was excellent. The location is great, few minutes away from the Namba Walk entrance, plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel staff were more than helpful. We had the Kaiseki dinner with Kobe beef which was delicious and for a very reasonable price. Our room was tidy and neat, our " futon" were all set for sleeping after the different trips we had during the day.

I will definitely recommend this hotel as an industry professional.

Room Tip: Try the New Building rooms, great view on Dotonburi.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tosako
yamatoya, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Yamatoya Honten, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2015

Thank you for staying with us.
We are happy to have you rejoice at that.
We appreciate your continued support.
Hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We decided to give a try to a traditional Japanese style ryokan for our five day stay in Osaka. We were welcomed with excellent service typically not seen in Western style of hotels - we just sat down and they took care of typing the passport information, gave us a city map etc. Then a lady showed us our room and explained us some basic information.

Our room had a great view over the city (8th floor) and was equipped with tv (Japanese channels, we opened it once), shower/toilet with hair dryer, mini bar and two small tables. No chairs as it was Japanese style of place. Every day they supplied us complimentary green tea with cookies, made "beds" for us in the evening (mattresses and pillows) and put them back to the closet in the morning.

On the lobby there was a wireless Internet connection and a computer with Internet access. Also a vending machine (having beer also!) was there.

A few subway stations were nearby. I recommend you to find out about subway system (JR and other lines) and print good maps before arriving.

I missed a wifi connection in the room, and the traffic bothered us occasionally at nights (and a minor earthquake once..), otherwise it was a really good hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better. Perhaps our north bound location was not the quietest.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank consttraveler

Thank you for staying with us.
I'm happy you were pleased with that.
Thanks in advance.
We look forward to seeing you when you come to Osaka next time.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I absolutely adored this place. After traveling around Japan and sampling its different hotels/ryokans/hostels, I'm starting to wonder if the people complaining about the sizes and age of the rooms are not used to hotel standards outside North America. Yes, the rooms are smaller, but that's how it is around the rest of the world. I didn't get a stained, dysfunctional room so perhaps I can't comment on that.

Anyway, the staff was so sweet to me, but maybe it's because I was making an effort to say things in Japanese rather than English. Right upon entering the door, I was greeted with a bow and cold, green tea, which was refreshing on that scorching hot day. The man sat down with me and took his time explaining all the attractions nearby on the map he provided me. Another assistant brought my bags to my room. I mean...jeez, this is stuff I have to tip and pay for in the US and it's just common practice here. So I was impressed. The room was simply the tatami floor with table in the center, topped with Japanese sweets and tea. Also, there were yukata (robes) in the small dresser. I thought it was a nice touch. Later in the evening, a woman will come to set out your futon. Futons were great too, very nice and soft (and I'm a horrible floor-sleeper).

My only problem was that there was no wifi in the rooms (I think there was a LAN cable though!), so I had to keep going down to the lobby to use my iPad. The onsen was relaxing, and the ryokan is incredibly close (a few minutes) to main streets, train station, and attractions.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Laurenh9229

Thank you for staying with us.
We are happy to be able to have you rejoice at Japanese room.
Now we have wi-fi in the room and renovation reception.
We look forward to seeing you when you come to Osaka next time.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We booked a traditional Japanese style room in the 'new building'. It was not what we expected especially for the price we paid. In the room there were stains on the table, shower curtain and cushions, which were all clearly visible. Also the room was quite outdated, even though we had booked the 'new building' expecting it would have been renovated/new. The staff spoke very limited English, apart from one women which was only there on our arrival. The only upside of this hotel was its location next to Dotonbori and Namba station.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for staying with us.
We are happy you were pleased with that.
We look forward to seeing you when you come to Osaka again!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I travelled alone as a budget traveler to Japan in March 2012. When I visited Osaka, as it was only one night, I decided to book a better place than those throughout my entire trip. Basically, I chose to change from a hostel to a ryokan, which undoubtedly cost some more money. Yamatoya Honten is located right at the end of Dotonbori Street, making it easy for visiting this highly energetic area. You can visit the famous Glico Man and go back to the hotel within a 5-minute walk.

The rate I got here was about twice as much as that of a normal hostel. However, the experience would be considered much better than just twice.

The hotel looks a bit aging but the service and reception's helpfulness was second to none. I arrived at noon, which was about 2 hours early, so the reception suggested me places to visit before coming back to check in. I told my plan to her that I would visit Nara in that afternoon and it might take me several hours. She kindly helped me about the checking in and when I returned to the hotel at night, my belongings were ready in my room.

One more staff should be given credit for enlivening my experience at this hotel. She was a middle-aged woman who helped clean the room and prepare Japanese-style sleeping stuff. I bet she could be the most lively and humorous person in Osaka. Five minutes of her existence in my room did make me laugh like never before. I cannot remember her name but surely you can tell who she is by visiting there.

At the basement there is a traditional onsen for relaxation. This was the most valuable part of the room rate as the cost of entering onsen elsewhere could be from several hundreds to thousand JPY! And the quality of the hotel's onsen exceed many other public baths that I went to. Imitating a Japanese guy, I put on a green yukata dress provided in the room and enjoyed the onsen that night.

I came back to my room to try various complimentary snacks in a Japanese box. The Japanese-style sleeping mattress was also incredibly comfortable. I had a tight sleep and woke up very fresh in the next morning. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Natdanai K
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The location is smack at the end of Dotonbori St in Namba, which is where the shops and nightlife of Namba in Osaka is. Rooms are very spacious and clean; service is extremely attentive. I had booked the smallest tatami room, but I'm guessing because they had vacancies they put me in a very large spacious room, which was gracious.

For getting there with luggage the closest station is the subway station which may be hard to navigate but not impossible, if not take a taxi. You can walk to Namba stn (15/20 mins), but it is a longer walk that usual and I wouldn't recommend it with luggage as it is smack in the middle of a crowded downtown (backpackers may be ok).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tsubaki S
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I and My Party of Friends stayed here during the Sukara Season in April. We thought it was fantastic. For one they are open 24/7 which made it a lot easier for us because our flight that arrived in japan did not land till 12pm. The hotel is in a prime location right next to the Shopping district - 5 minute walk and you are there. Endless shops, food and things to see.
The hotel staff we amazingly comforting, our Japanese was limited and their English was excellent, they were amazingly helpful when asking about local attractions and they have plenty of information as well.
We didn't eat at this hotel from the dinning room but always had coffee/tea in the morning at the cafe downstairs. The onsen they have is so relaxing also.
Hotel is super close to all major transport links - Trains, buses and walking.
The room we had was facing the shopping district and was relaxing to just sit on the window ledge and watch the world go by, great view of the river. Rooms were Japanese rooms in the older building, the futons were ridiculously comfy.

One thing i was disappointed by was the internet - limited to one crap computer and an extremely difficult to access WiFi system - That needs upgrading.
All over i Really recommend this Hotel - Excellent place to stay in Osaka and will be coming back.

Room Tip: Old Japanese rooms are comfy and have a good view of the river and shopping district.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends