“Nice 3star hotel for osaka/kyoto trip”

Shin-Osaka Station Hotel
Ranked #98 of 339 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is a tipical japanese 3-star hotel, room is very tiny, but clean. service is good, japanese style breakfast is good-value!
The hotel is very close to shin-osaka JR station, so it's easy to take JR train to both osaka and Kyoto. there is a very good japanese bar just 5 mins walking distance, I went there twice during my 4-night stay.
since the room is really tiny, so i would not recommend this hotel to western country people. But if you are tipical size asian, this is a good-value and friendly hotel.

Room Tip: choose non-smoking room in ahead when you make reservation
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mengbei

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Okay - the five stars are not for luxury, but for basic comfort and convenience.

This hotel is 5 minutes walk from the Shin-Osaka station BUT... you must exit from the right gate. Exit by East Gate of the station, toward Koko Plaza (there is an elevator at this exit, for your luggage), cross the street, bear right and keep walking parallel to the JR tracks. Once you cross a large building called Studios Shin-Osaka, make an immediate sharp left, and the hotel is just 10 meters to your right.

So, what makes it such a high rating? Here are the reasons:

1. JR and shinkansen are just 5 minutes away, and subway too (there is walk INSIDE to the other end of the station for subway).

2. Not only all of Osaka but Kobe, Kyosan and Kyoto can all be accessed by trains. With JR pass, most of this travel is free. KIX airport is also a direct ride from here.

3. This is comparable to Chisun-style business hotels, but more friendly and personal. All the biz hotel stuff is there - the prefab but high-tech toilet-bath, all the free bath amenities, wired Internet via ethernet cable.

4. But, on top of it, for the hotels.com booking, we got free breakfast - a good deal.

5. And... this was a real plus for our 6-day stay, there are coin operated laundry and dryer machines on the main floor.

So, if you are on a budget and are looking for super transport convenience in Osaka and the entire Kansai region, this is the place. The JR lines are right next to the hotel, but the insulation was pretty good - only low muffled sounds were heard occasionally.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, if possible away from JR tracks.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Globalist3000
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I didn't expect much of this hotel as it was the cheapest hotel I made reservations for, for my trip to Japan. I had similar hotels of similar quality in Japan but most were triple the price then this one.

If you look up the location in advance, the hotel is quite easy to find. Use Google Maps and you can walk straight from the Shin Osaka train station to the hotel.

Rooms are clean and staff is very friendly and some speak reasonable english. My booking came with free breakfast wich included a choice of western or japanese. I don't eat that much in the morning but what I had was fine.

Would defenitly stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I stayed here and the Chisun in Hiroshima during the same trip and while this was comparable to the Chisun, the latter had a few nicer touches that made it seem a little more modern. First off, the Shin’Osaka still had keys that you must leave behind each time you exit the hotel. Secondly, the Chisun had all the light controls, air con etc at the bedside, and had a bedside lamp, these were all missing from the Shin’Osaka bedside.

Apart from that, both places were evenly matched and priced about the same. The location of Shin’Osaka was superb for the station, and I certainly couldn’t hear the no doubt numerous trains pulling in to the station from my room at the front of the hotel. It did however seem to be directly under the Kansai flight path. Also, even though it’s literally a 2 min walk to Shin-Osaka station, you are at the far end from the subways, so you’ve got to pile in against reasonable foot traffic going in the opposite direction. You could use the ped crossing further down the street and enter the station from the front to alleviate this slightly.

All in all, a good hotel, but if I was planning on staying in Osaka longer, I'd look for somewhere more central and more comfortable. The doors and walls were particularly pourous to shouting from my hotel mates.

Also: re free internet. I managed to get the ‘hotwire’ free wireless working my first night but it disappeared sometime during the night and had to borrow a LAN cable from reception the rest of the time.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank psychokilla
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed in Osaka as I needed to take an exam on the Shin-Osaka line and then were heading straight to Kyushu so needed to be near the Shinkansen station.

We did find the hotel a little hard to find at first but that was probably more because we couldn't read Japanese. It is actually quite easy if you go out the right exit. If you go out the JR East Exit follow the road along the railway and it will be on a little side street on your left about a 3 minute walk, if you reach the Shin-Osaka Station Hotel Annex you have gone a little too far. Stop in and ask the staff at the Annex, they will show you where to got, its just on the side street a few metres back. The hotel sign is in katana so if you are familiar with that it will make it easier.

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel, it has everything you could need, its just a little smaller :) From the pleasant and fast service on arrival, the little extra's such as free bottled water in the room and the package of facial products and bath lavender pack for the girls, fast free internet in the room and free internet in the lobby, choice of western or Japanese breakfast, even bathrobes and slippers and the best thing in my case was there was a desk with a chair at which I could study. We would definitely stay here again.

We booked the queen room which I totally recommend if you need a bit more room. It is great value for what it is and was very comfortable. The only thing I would request next time is to be away from the elevator. Our room was right next door and you could hear people as they waited there. With that said people coming and going was rare so we were not disturbed while we were trying to get some sleep.

While the location is great for access to the Shinkansen, you will need to transfer to Osaka (the closest area with the big wheel and 24 hour karaoke and table tennis!), Namba or the like for a night out. Remember last train is around midnight.

Room Tip: Book over the internet the rates are better
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank xenonbugg
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I have so many amazing memories of Japan and this is certainly my favourite place we stayed at. It isn't very far and is easy to get to from Kansai airport and if you catch the bullet train, not too long to get to Kyoto (approx 15 mins), Osaka (approx 10 mins). The location is not in the heart of Kyoto or Osaka and this can be a little tiring at the end of the day. It's an additional 10-15 walk from Shinosaka station to the actual hotel. There's a couple of restaurants nearby however there's always food available inside the station (albeit not everything is healthy).

This was the first hotel we stayed at and originally we thought it was a bit small, however we soon learnt our lesson and found out the bathroom was actually extremely spacious compared to other hotels. The hotel is lit up beautifully at night which was a treat to see when we came 'home' for the day.

However what made this place amazing was the service. As soon as we arrived, the gentleman at the front desk found my booking promptly, offered me a gorgeous bookmark and a toiletries set (including a lavender bath!). And the toiletries kept coming every night, not just a once off! I loved the heater and my partner was especially pleased with the free mineral water that was provided daily just popped in our bar fridge!

Breakfast was quite yummy too (an additional 550 yen) - Japanese was much more assorted and nicer than the Western options but it is good that they provide both choices. You had unlimited rice and unlimited tea and coffee and OJ. (Tea machine was super confusing however everyone was eager to help).

I can't recommend this hotel any more highly. I stayed because it was in my budget and because of the recommendations on tripadvisor. Definitely the warmest place I've stayed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank lovecherry
Reviewed May 30, 2011

This was our first hotel when visiting japan and was very easy to get to from Kansai airport after a long flight. The staff were exceptionally freindly on arrival and made us feel very welcome, which was just what we needed after the intail fear that our failed attempts to learn japanease might be an issue. They had already been in contact with the Airport, as one of our bags was delayed and reasured us that it would arrive safely the next day.

Breakfast was a choice of European and Japanese. It was nice to try fermented soya beans (natto) even if it will take a few more trips before we acquire the taste for it. There were computers in the lobby which were free to use to browse the internet of send emails home. The hotel was in easy walking distance from the station which made it convinient for expoloring the rest of Osaka using the JR rail pass.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple