“1950's American music and design”

Family Inn Fifty's Osaka Higobashi
Ranked #270 of 307 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
San Francisco, California
“1950's American music and design”
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I stayed at Family Inn Fifty's in Osaka in 2007. I really liked the pre-recorded American popular music from the 1950's and 1960's that they play in the lobby!! I'd been in Japan for almost a month, and I really missed the English language, so this was a welcome cultural immersion in a Japanese image of America. Not surprisingly, I was the only non-Japanese guest.

Staff were very kind and helpful. I arrived early, and they were happy to store my luggage. Then at check-in time, the staff helped me navaigate the automated check-in machine. As for my stored luggage, they had already moved it to my room! The next morning, when I left the hotel to explore the city, one of the staff ran after me with an English map of Osaka, just to be sure I had one!

The room decor was a light-hearted homage to 1950's American nostalgia. The bathroom tile was yellow, green, and black, a typical 1950's American color scheme. My room was furnished with a freeform-shaped coffee table, a headboard in the same design, and an aluminum "malt shop" table and chair. (See the photos on the hotel's website.)

The room was larger than at most Japanese business hotels in this price range. Everything was very clean. But this is just a quirky two-hotel chain created by an architect with a vision, so you won't experience the standard design and service protcols that you'd find at the Toyoko Inn chain. They installed ceramic tile in a fiberglass bathroom unit, and in my room there were a couple of cracked tiles from this problematic construction detail.

Frankly, the breakfast buffet was simpler and had less variety than you'd find at Tokoyo Inn or Comfort Hotel in Japan. But I was here to experience a non-formula hotel.

When I go back to Osaka, I will stay here again. I enjoyed this unique and fun cross-cultural experience--it is truly a Japanese homage to 1950's American popular music and design.

By the way, there is a city subway station near the hotel, but I found it easier to walk to the main train station.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first