“Cannot Miss.”

Kyoto Gogyo
Ranked #60 of 12,152 Restaurants in Kyoto
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shinkyogoku Shopping District
Chicago, Illinois
“Cannot Miss.”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

After reading many of the reviews on how busy Gogyo can get at night, my husband and I were there about 10 minutes after the doors opened on a Saturday night. Needless to say, we were the first customers of the night. With ramen typically being a late night food for many Japanese (a la pizza after a night out for Americans), we were happy to have the bar overlooking the kitchen to ourselves. The burnt miso ramen was incredible. It deserves every accolade that is mentioned in these reviews. The restaurant can be a little tricky to find. I brought a photo of the address and map from the website for our cabbie and we still had a little bit of difficulty finding it. It was worth it though! Best meal in Kyoto and possibly Japan.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New Zealand
“Excellent service, good food”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The subtleties of different types of ramen are a mystery to me, so all I can say is that I enjoyed the burnt soy sauce ramen. I also had the mascarpone with honey for dessert which was an ideal dish to follow the saltiness of the ramen.

The main front-of-house person spoke excellent English, and was very welcoming. I was a solo diner, so I sat at a bar seat looking into the kitchen. This was a great way to learn about how ramen is cooked.

I thought it was a good value and conveniently located restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Selsy
Sydney, Australia
“The very best ramen!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Whilst we try and visit as many different restaurants as possible when travelling, this one made the grade with multiple visits. We had quite a bit of ramen on our trip to Japan, but the burnt miso ramen here was a standard unto itself. My wife and I both ordered the famed burnt miso ramen and a serving of gyoza which were mini in size, but full of flavour.

You can expect a line most nights, but it moves reasonably quickly, so don't be put off if you see a dozen or so people waiting outside.

Highly recommended!

• Visited April 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Ramen I've ever had!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

That is all you need to know really!

Great service, English menu if needed, 850 yen for Burnt Miso Ramen their specialty.

Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
“Worth trying, but overhyped”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The burnt ramen is different, and worth trying, but unburnt ramen is better. Also, not a good choice for vegetarians...while other ramen places were able to accommodate the two in our group, options were more limited here, and my daughter did not care for the salad she ordered. The setting is pretty, with a zen rock garden in the middle of the space; we sat at the bar and watched them fire up (literally!) the ramen. We ate at several restaurants in Kyoto that were better, however, so it's not deserving of the high TA rating.

• Visited May 2013