“Wow!”

Ranked #151 of 15,867 Restaurants in Kyoto
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Nishijin District
Reviewed September 2, 2016

Do not be fooled by the humble appearance, the service charge or the fact that the restaurant is cash only. This is one of the best French meals you will eat - anywhere. I can't recommend this place highly enough. I also can't wait to return. The food is perfect and the prices are very reasonable. Truly amazing and at a truly amazing price.

Date of visit: May 2016
2  Thank maximilianfsantos
Write a reviewReviews (132)

Reviewed August 27, 2016 via mobile

I came here on my first night in Kyoto because I craved French food - so glad that I did. The waitress went through the whole menu in English for me giving me individual attention. Along with my drinks I was treated to an selection of amuse bouches which went down very well. I had moules mariniere which was light and flavoursome with excellent frites to accompany. I chose to have duck which was extremely professionally cooked and delicately presented with fondant potato, a selection of vegetables and a rich jus. Finally I had a selection of the day's desserts - creme brûlée, chocolate cake and a baked cheesecake with ice cream. The venue is small but has a lovely atmosphere and the staff were most welcoming. Be aware that it is cash only and is quite pricey but I think it is well worth it.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank 99edwardb
Reviewed July 5, 2016

The service was first class, the food divine, the wine superb and the music French! We'll be going again.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Linda_Laleston
Reviewed June 22, 2016

On the recomendation of a long term Kyoto resident and culinary expert, I took Japanese friends to a la Chalamont as a thank you gift. We were very happy with the evening in this cosy, relaxed, French atmosphere.
We all enjoyed the excellent and well-presented food! We ordered several dishes and shared them family-style as the delightful (and English speaking) staff brought them to the table one by one - it was a fun way to share the many taste treats.
The food, presentation, service, relaxed ambiance, location, - all were such a pleasure.
I highly recommend a la Chalamont.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank Marty K
Reviewed May 9, 2016

My partner and I went to " A la Chalaumont " on the last night of our trip to Japan, after 10 days of having really good japanese food, we were in need of a change, so we picked this restaurant. And it exceeded all of our expectations. The couple gracefully offered us a really nice night, the service and the food were simply exquisite.
Thank you very much for this experience.

Date of visit: May 2016