“convenience-and-affordable-in-one”

Kyoto Daiichi Hotel
Ranked #208 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Stayed here for a 1-week business trip. I enjoyed walking from the hotel to the Kyoto train or bus station every morning... it's just about 5-10 minutes walk. But there's a free shuttle service to and from the hotel which is available every 15 minutes... and will take just take you about 3 minutes to get to the hotel/station. The room is clean and spacious... I like the modern style of the room. Also, this hotel is near convenient stores, supermarket and restaurants. During free time, I go to different places for sight-seeing.. especially the temples around Kyoto. You can ask the hotel receptionists for directions.. they are very friendly and reliable. I would definitely consider staying in this hotel again if given the chance.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank DT_Wandering_Feet

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I have stayed in a small double room for 4 nights from 12 Nov 2013 - simple, clean hotel without the luxury.

What I really like is that I only need to walk out the Kyoto station building exit and the hotel shuttle bus will send me right to the hotel in just 2 minutes! The frequency is very frequent- every 15 minutes- to and from hotel/Kyoto station (check with the hotel website on the time schedule) and always on time- which I am impress with their punctuality.

Direction - from Kyoto station, look for sign to get to the Hachijo West Side Exit and you will see 2 exit direction - left and right, take the escalator to the left side down to street level you will see McDonald ahead. Just wait outside McDonald and look out for a small bus with your hotel name and just hop aboard. You can also take a 8 - 10 minutes short walk to your hotel by exiting at the right side stairs, cross the road at the traffic light and walk strait through the small road till the next main road, you will see your hotel to your right.

Location: Hotel in Kyoto station area is a very convenient base as getting to/from KIX airport or Osaka and also Tokyo (Shinkansen) or Maibara (I went to Toyosato at Shiga prefacture) direction and also the subway to many sight seeing stops. It also houses shopping malls and many restaurants and eateries with not expensive yet quality food for your meal. I bought bread for my breakfast and bath salt at the stores near the Hachijo West exit.

The bus station just outside Kyoto station has bus to most of the must go sight in Kyoto. Remember to get your one day 500yen bus card. It is definitely worth the money.

- checking in is strictly after 3pm for most hotel in Japan but you can safe keep your luggage at the front desk

- room is smaller than what I expected after reading past reviews, especially for those who have larger luggage but can be manageable

- bed for me is good enough for four nights of comfortable sleep

- small bathroom with bathtub (similar size with other business hotel I stayed in Tokyo and Osaka, so no complain about this) and it is clean and I enjoyed my bath with bath salt as usual every night :)

- wireless and computer available only at lobby, so I used my own wireless router connected to the LAN cable in room, it works fine.

The only one thing I don't like is I stayed on the smoking level and the cigarette smell is strong though they provide air freshener in the room. Try to request for non-smoking room if you are non-smoker, though I think they have limited non-smoking room.

Overall, I am happy to stay in this hotel for its convenience and affordability, at the same time a comfortable and safe stay.

Room Tip: Bring your air freshener if you don't like cigarette smell and cannot get a non-smoking room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank frankie6731
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I was having problem trying to find a hotel room in kyoto during the weekend of November 16. Daiichi was one of the few that still had a semi-double room for that Saturday. Naturally I reserved the room.
This hotel is located on kujo which is with of the Kyoto station. My husband and I followed the hotel's direction to get on the hotel shuttle bus at the south side of the station. It was only a 5- minute drive and to the hotel.
With that said, the location of the hotel is not as convenient as the others which are located north of the station. Most of the sightseeing activities and restaurants are located to the north of the station. We had problem trying to flag down a taxi in front of the hotel so we returned to the Kyoto station and took a taxi from there.
The check-in process was smooth. I was offered the morning breakfast choices and I paid for them in advance. I was given my receipt immediately after I paid with my credit card. Very efficient.
I had reserved a semi-double room. It was very small;even smaller than the double room at Toyoko inn (a no-frills) business hotel chain in Japan. The bed could barely fit the both of us. We had 1 piece of 26- inch luggage each. I could not open mine flat while the 2 of us were in the room. The hotel needs some serious TLC as there was fallen paint in the room and the hallway. Even though I had asked for a non-smoking room I still felt like the smell of smoke had been trapped in the room since the room had not been updated for so long.
Despite all that, everything worked in the room.
Breakfast was served at the restaurant next door. I took the Japanese breakfast set which came with rice, miso soup, salmon, natto, tofu, tea and coffee.
Beggars cannot be choosers. Overall, Daiichi hotel had served it's purpose as a place to provide accommodation for the 2 of us over an extremely busy saturday in Kyoto. For one night the room was adequate. I would not recommend staying here if I could find a room north of the station.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Old hotel with limited facilities, though the coin laundry is nice. Very small rooms. No place to put anything other than a small bag. Bath is small. My room had been a smoking room, and it stunk! The hallway smelled of smoke and mildew. The shuttle to the station is handy, but does not run between 10 am and 2:30 pm.... Did not care for the hotel at all.

Room Tip: Avoid smoking rooms and smoking floor if you are not a smoker. Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank JFrankling
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent 5 lovely nights at this hotel. The staff was extremly helpful in giving us advice on which buses to take to various places we wanted to visit. There is a shuttle to and from the JR station which is nice after 10 hours of sightseeing and walking. The mattress is firm the way we like them. Coin operated laundry saved time. Very convenient location. Hotel is very quiet.

Room Tip: Call IACE Travel and ask for Ari 407-351-9999
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked a semi double room thinking it would be big enough for 2 of us. It wasn't, as the bed was about the size of a king single.

Upgraded to a twin room for an extra charge, making the stay $130 each night. The room was fine and quite clean. Would recommend this place if you can get a cheaper deal.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Kyoto Dai-Ichi hotel is so handy for everything and good price. In japan hardly ever have big room hotel, only you need is close to station, shops, yum yum free breaky and nice smiling staff.
This is a old hotel but quite clean, staffs very helpful even with limited English. Very very close to station walk distant around 10mins to Kyoto station. They have shuttle bus running every 15 mins between Kyoto station to hotel. Stop just right out side of Meadowland.
The only weird thing is we were travel in spring time maybe too cold for Japanese so they only have heater running in the room, we asked reception how to turn off heater and switch on air con. They told us we can't do it. So end up we had to switch off heater and open window all night. A little bit noise can't have a good sleep if window is opened.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple