“Great location next to Kyoto station and not too pricey”

Hotel Keihan Kyoto Grande
Ranked #67 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I chose this place for its proximity to Kyoto station, and the fact that it wasn't too expensive!
You can take the underground walkway out of the station straight into the hotel, which was ideal for me dragging all my bags around with me.
The room was small, but more than enough for just me.
Breakfast was good too, with the option of either a western buffet style or traditional japanese style.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Initially picked this hotel based solely on its location as needed easy access to the station for other trips I was making. Station is literally across the road from the hotel so perfect for me! The reception desk is located on 2F and staff were very friendly and helped me locate my room; I had a single room although small it had everything i needed plus added toiletries that were very useful. On my floor just a few doors away were drink and food vending machines at reasonable prices.
For restaurants, the hotel is sat on top of a medium sized shopping mall and there are loads of places to eat in the lower floors so didn't need to venture too far to find dinner!
Breakfast you have the choice of Japanese and Western style; first morning I had Japanese which was sushi, rice, miso soup and green tea (recommended), second morning I had the western style (eggs, hotdog sausages etc) but wasn't that great.
I plan to visit Kyoto again in the future and I plan to stay at this hotel again as it met and exceeded my expectations for the price I paid!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ScottyH84
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Hotel is a little dated, but the room is still overall very clean and very spacious. They ran out of non-smoking rooms so the reception upgraded me to a 2 queen size beds but smoking one, but letting me check out the room first. There was no offensive smell at all throughout my 6 nights stay. Airport transfer by bus to Osaka airport right below hotel at frequent intervals. Linked right next door is a happening retail shopping centre for young fashion (Like Shibuya 101, but more variety and cheaper). Food available nearby and at Kyoto station till late ,11 pm. Stone throw away from Kyoto station and it is at the nearer end to the subway. basement of hotel leads all the way to subway station. The night robe provided is extremely comfortable...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is very close to the Kyoto train station, which makes it ideal for using public transportation, not only trains but also buses as there is a bus terminal at the other side of the train station. The access to the hotel is also convenient, with a subway communicating directly with the station. The hotel itself is average and what you can expect for the money paid. We used the Chinese restaurant one of the nights and the food and view of the city were good. We did not use the restaurant for breakfast as there are good places in the station.I would recomend this hotel for visitiing Kyoto Temples and the region

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Kyoto Keihan Hotel is both convenient and inconvenient. It's convenient because it's connected to Kyoto station by an underground pass and takes about 10 minutes to walk. It also is one of the few hotels that seem to accomodate three people, and give them individual beds. Nobody ended up with a creaky, uncomfortable sofa bed. The service was great and the hotel was very clean and had a good view of the city. There is also a computer with internet in the lobby for those who need internet.
However, there is not much touristy stuff located around Kyoto station so you must always take a train/subway/bus to wherever you need to go. It sucks if you are one of those people who like to return to the hotel after a few hours to recoup. It was a little pricey, but it was worth it for the comfortable nights of sleep that I got.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of a tour. It was clean and comfortable, a bit more space than the average Japanese room - basically all that you want as a base for sightseeing in Kyoto. There were vending machines on our floor selling drinks and snacks, including beer. Generally the hotel seemed fairly quiet and we got a good night's sleep.

It is over a big shopping centre/station complex so conveniently located for when you arrive in Kyoto. The underground complex is a bit of a maze, so take care to note a couple of things you will remember on your way through, to help you back again! There is no wifi in the hotel but if you have a cable, you can connect your laptop in your room for free. You can also pick up free wifi in the shopping complex below.

1  Thank LinzofLondon
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband at the end of August. We got a deal with the shinkansen and hotel from his company, so I am not sure of the cost compared to other hotels. It seemed a bit more upscale than the chain hotel I usually stay in though.

It is very close to the station, but as mentioned, you have to go through an underpass to get there. It was a little difficult to find it the first time, but after that, it was okay. It takes about 8 to 10 mins to get from the hotel back to the 'main' side of the station where the sightseeing buses are.

We got there early (9am) and so they looked after our bags until later in the afternoon. We received two drink bar tickets for the cafe downstairs, and when we went back to get our bags, we received two more! Their mistake, but it was good for us!

We stayed in a non-smoking twin room (bigger than a double) and there were no signs of it being used as a smoking room at other times (I have a sensitive nose to that!). There were a couple of stains on the desk though, like something really hot had been put on it.

Sleeping robes are provided. The bed was comfortable! The pillow was half beans and half soft, so you can decide what side you want to use.

There was construction outside, like they are painting the hotel or something. I only saw the scaffolding though, I didn't hear any noise or see any guys working.

The bathroom was a decent size, and typical for a business hotel in Japan, the shower is in the bath. Big towels, small towels, and facewashers were provided, along with shavers, toothbrushes and toothpaste, earbuds, and shower caps. The shampoo, conditioner and body wash was all decent quality.

The AC worked well and was easily-controllable.

There are vending machines on some floors selling drinks and food, but there are also convenience stores around the block, plus at the station.

We had the 'western' buffet breakfast for three mornings as it was included in the deal we had. We arrived at 7am the first morning and there was already a line! I guess everyone wanted to go sightseeing early! The food was okay, with salads, fruit, several kinds of bread rolls, weiners, potatoes, fish, rice, miso soup, scrambled eggs, cornflakes, juices, and some other Japanese food. The hot food wasn't too hot though, as it was being kept warm by what looked like a candle underneath.

i don't know about computer access in the rooms as I was too busy sightseeing to worry about bringing my computer. There were a couple of PCs in the lobby for people to use.

No pool and no fitness room as is usual at a business hotel. But you can get fit from walking around Kyoto sightseeing! :)

The staff in the hotel were very friendly and nice. I enjoyed staying here and I loved Kyoto!

Room Tip: Choose a room with twin beds, it's bigger!