“Fabulous! A must do!”

Bento Box Cooking Class
Ranked #2 of 43 Food & Drink in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Morning Bento Class (9:30-13:00, 6800 yen pp) and Afternoon Kappo Class (14:00-17:30) Easy access from central Kyoto, Shijo/Karasuma area. Friendly, English fluent local Japanese ladies welcome you in half a day Japanese cooking class. Beautiful machiya traditional townhouse is also something you can definitely enjoy during your visit.
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I found cooking sun on trip advisor. We needed an indoor activity because of some unexpected summer rains.
We had never done a cooking class before so were unsure of what to expect but we were so pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. The hosts were lovely with impeccable English. We learned great new skills and all about different Japanese ingredients (when and get you would use them). We chatted and laughed the morning away and were rewarded with a delicious bento box lunch when we finished. We walked away with big grins.
If you get the chance to do this class you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Great that the citys temples are, its lovely to meet local people whilst learning about how to cook their food im more commonly just used to eating back at home in Sydney. My wife and me did the morning bento cooking class and loved all of it. First off introducing the ingredients and then how to make the commonly used broth and then onto making up all the dishes that make up a bento box. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visting the city.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

We took the Bento box menu class in late July 2014. The menu included rolled sushi, Japanese style omelet (dashimaki-tamago), miso soup, sukiyaki, tatsutaage (flavored deep fried salmon) and tempura. The instructor was very knowledgable and spoke fluent English. The class size was the perfect size at 4 people. We received lots of personal attention and the class was hands on. We are excited about trying to make the recipes at home and showing off our new cooking skills to our friends. Would definitely recommend this class. It was one of our favorite things that we did in Kyoto

1  Thank CristiVil
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

When in Kyoto, everyone should do the cooking course with cooking sun! We did the morning sushi class. The enthusiastic sushi chef spoke perfect english and inspired us to learn by doing. The sushi we made was delicious as well as the Japanse omelet and the famous miso soup we made. We want to thank the people at cooking sun for a great morning. Highly recommanded!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

In short; a fabulous way to learn some real Japanese home cooking whilst sharing some cultural differences with friendly hosts.

I was lucky enough to have a one to one lesson last week at this delightful and atmospheric cooking school. I travelled to Japan on this occasion with my partner, who wasn't interested in the course, but despite being on my own (which can be a little nerve wracking in a country where English, whilst readily available, is not often extensive) I felt completely at home.

The teachers are Japanese Mums and home cooks who show you recipes they make every day, and teach you some basics about Japanese cooking styles and ingredients. I am a confident and well read cook but had always found true Japanese cooking hard to find in the UK, and this course cleared up several questions and inconsistencies I had found, including why cooking Sake is cooking Sake and exactly what miso and soy to use when.

The manager and cooks speak excellent English with a varied vocabulary allowing us to chat extensively about our cultures. My partner and I stayed in both Tokyo and Kyoto and noted that whilst basic English is widely used and available, detailed conversations were few and far between. This had in places left us with cultural questions about our experiences throughout Japan that we wee unable to get proper answers to. Throughout the cooking lesson Aiko and I were able to chat away about everything, clearing up a lot of my questions. One thing I also particularly enjoyed was her interest in British culture - it felt like a two way sharing experience, as she was interested about where I come from and my cooking habits whilst I was about hers. Though of course, the Japanese are always beautifully welcoming and polite.

The recipes were varied, and I received a thorough print out to annotate throughout the session. Some cooking classes I have seen can be a little mean with how many recipes they give you, but not here. I made tempura, sushi, miso soup, sukiyaki, rolled egg and deep fried salmon in the time which I thought was generous.

Th studio itself was very well equipped and modern, with crocs and aprons provided as you enter.

I thoroughly recommend, especially at the price (£40ish, for 3.5hrs!), for this experience in London you could spend upwards of £100, and you would not be treated as beautifully, either!