“Very elegant”

Ranked #36 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Michigan
“Very elegant”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I recently visited Japan and I stayed here 6 nights. This hotel has a unique look---very Victorian--style. After a long day of exploring the city, it was a treat to return and relax in this hotel. The room was a good size, bigger bathroom than other hotels I stayed in during my trip to Japan. A full-size Western bathtub was handy and appreciated.
As a solo traveller, I appreciated the safety features--you must use your key to have access to your floor, etc.
There was a Western style buffet breakfast and a Japanese breakfast. The Western breakfast buffet room was very crowded and I opted for the Japanese breakfast.
I would highly recommend visiting The Museum of Kyoto. It is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Great exhibits and shops.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed April 7, 2009

Spent 6 great nights at the Monterey in a twin room. The rooms are clean, well equipped and in a modern style, obviously small by western standards but perfectly aderquate. Check in was a breeze, the staff at the hotel are really friendly and will offer to help out with any information you want. I didn't try any of the food and beverage outlets but their bar looked quite nice though it was very expensive. We ate breakfast at a number of the coffee shops which are within a two minute walk of the hotel, and at nightime there are lots of eating options within easy walking distance. The location is good, a stones throw to the Karasuma line subway which takes you to Kyoto JR station (ideal if you are doing day trips as we did) and a five minute walk to the bus stops which serve all of the major sights, Gion and the eastern temples are also within walking distance provided you are of average fitness. Given the rate I would say that the hotel represents excellent value for money.

1 Thank Dinosaw
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. The double room and bathroom is modern, clean and cozy. The buffet breakfast is good (choice of International or Japanese). Location in good - a 10 minute walk to the centre and less than a 5 minute walk to the subway. There are restaurants scattered around the hotel. Hotel staff are extremely helpful and friendly.

1 Thank Wildlilac
Dublin
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. Very modern and nicely decorated, great and helpful staff good English they helped us book accommodation when we were moving on, great baths and relaxation room on the top floor.
Rooms are not huge but not overly small and nicely decorated and comfortable (not room for too much luggage if you have huge cases, we had backpacks)
The bath in the room is great really deep. Didn't eat in the hotel, as usual breakfasts are expensive and there are shops/cafes near buy where you can buy stuff for breakfast.
Location is good very central, lots of restaurants near by. If I went back to Kyoto I would definitely stay here again, highly recommended. We got a very good deal on the hotels own website worked out about 120 euro a night....bargain.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mardee
Rochdale
Reviewed March 23, 2009

This was my first trip to Kyoto and I relied on trip advisor for good hotel recommendations and i was not disappointed. This is a wonderful hotel to do you sight seeing and day tripping from. The rooms are clean and well kept, the decor is amazing! the staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is literally a couple of minutes from the subway and a short walk to the main hub of the shops.

1 Thank moggymel
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My wife and I left for Japan in April 2008 with two planned stays: one week in Tokyo and two days in Nagano, where she would run the marathon. Between both events, our schedule was open, as I had read that Japan is one of those rare places where you can ski in April. So I left the window open until the very last moment, so I could make a decision based on snow conditions. We were going to visit Kyoto anyway, but as I had to forget skiing because of rising temperatures, we decided to stay five days in Kyoto. Initially, we tried to book a room at a Ryokan (a japanese style hotel), but there wasn't one single Ryokan room available in Kyoto at the time. So we settled for the Monterey, and we enjoyed it tremendously. I can't really describe the style of the hotel. The architecture tries to emulate early 20th century europe from the outside. But the inside is - how can I say it? - weird, but not in a bad way. We stayed in a small room with navy blue walls and a bathroom with striped plastic walls.
The staff was lovely, as in every place in Japan, and location is excellent. This is however not the Imperial Kyoto you might be looking for. This is located in a modern avenue in central Kyoto. Very close to the Imperial palace, but if you're looking for that classic japanese feel, maybe you should try a Ryokan, as Kyoto is the place to experiment traditional Japan.
It is worth mentioning that the Monterey has a great spa in its premises.
I had a great time riding bikes, going to excellent restaurants in Kyoto. As I usually do, I am writing this some time after my visit, and the best memories come to mind as I type this, which is always a good sign.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frederico N
Naples, Italy
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I picked this hotel randomly while booking our trip to Japan on Expedia. What a wonderful choice! I was a little concerned when we arrived in Kyoto that we wouldn't be able to find the hotel, because I was never able to find specific details about where it was located. (I never though to use Trip Advisor.) The others that posted are absolutely correct - Karasuma line, get off at Karasuma Oike, take a right out of exit 6. You will see the Hotel Monterey Kyoto (green lettering) sign just in front of you.
Since we did not know this, we ended up walking all the way from Kyoto train station, which is a very very long walk. In the rain. After a 11 hour flight. I felt a little self-conscious walking into this beautiful hotel looking like a drowned rat, but the staff was very courteous, even providing us with towels to dry ourselves off.
Our room was small, as to be expected in Japan, but very comfortable and exceptionally clean. Internet access hook-up was available for free in the room, which we had no problems connecting with our laptop. It was fast and came in handy quite a few times. We were the only foreigners I saw while at the hotel, so we didn't feel like it was a touristy type place, but all hotel staff spoke good to excellent English.
There is also a Citibank down the street on the corner of Karasuma and Shijo, which is convenient as international ATM cards can only be used at Citibank or 7-11 ATMs in Japan.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple