“Excellent Hotel”

Hotel Monterey Kyoto
Ranked #37 of 373 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights. Very modern and nicely decorated, great and helpful staff good English they helped us book accommodation when we were moving on, great baths and relaxation room on the top floor.
Rooms are not huge but not overly small and nicely decorated and comfortable (not room for too much luggage if you have huge cases, we had backpacks)
The bath in the room is great really deep. Didn't eat in the hotel, as usual breakfasts are expensive and there are shops/cafes near buy where you can buy stuff for breakfast.
Location is good very central, lots of restaurants near by. If I went back to Kyoto I would definitely stay here again, highly recommended. We got a very good deal on the hotels own website worked out about 120 euro a night....bargain.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mardee
There are newer reviews for Hotel Monterey Kyoto

Reviewed March 23, 2009

This was my first trip to Kyoto and I relied on trip advisor for good hotel recommendations and i was not disappointed. This is a wonderful hotel to do you sight seeing and day tripping from. The rooms are clean and well kept, the decor is amazing! the staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is literally a couple of minutes from the subway and a short walk to the main hub of the shops.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank moggymel
Reviewed March 12, 2009

My wife and I left for Japan in April 2008 with two planned stays: one week in Tokyo and two days in Nagano, where she would run the marathon. Between both events, our schedule was open, as I had read that Japan is one of those rare places where you can ski in April. So I left the window open until the very last moment, so I could make a decision based on snow conditions. We were going to visit Kyoto anyway, but as I had to forget skiing because of rising temperatures, we decided to stay five days in Kyoto. Initially, we tried to book a room at a Ryokan (a japanese style hotel), but there wasn't one single Ryokan room available in Kyoto at the time. So we settled for the Monterey, and we enjoyed it tremendously. I can't really describe the style of the hotel. The architecture tries to emulate early 20th century europe from the outside. But the inside is - how can I say it? - weird, but not in a bad way. We stayed in a small room with navy blue walls and a bathroom with striped plastic walls.
The staff was lovely, as in every place in Japan, and location is excellent. This is however not the Imperial Kyoto you might be looking for. This is located in a modern avenue in central Kyoto. Very close to the Imperial palace, but if you're looking for that classic japanese feel, maybe you should try a Ryokan, as Kyoto is the place to experiment traditional Japan.
It is worth mentioning that the Monterey has a great spa in its premises.
I had a great time riding bikes, going to excellent restaurants in Kyoto. As I usually do, I am writing this some time after my visit, and the best memories come to mind as I type this, which is always a good sign.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frederico N
Reviewed March 1, 2009

I picked this hotel randomly while booking our trip to Japan on Expedia. What a wonderful choice! I was a little concerned when we arrived in Kyoto that we wouldn't be able to find the hotel, because I was never able to find specific details about where it was located. (I never though to use Trip Advisor.) The others that posted are absolutely correct - Karasuma line, get off at Karasuma Oike, take a right out of exit 6. You will see the Hotel Monterey Kyoto (green lettering) sign just in front of you.
Since we did not know this, we ended up walking all the way from Kyoto train station, which is a very very long walk. In the rain. After a 11 hour flight. I felt a little self-conscious walking into this beautiful hotel looking like a drowned rat, but the staff was very courteous, even providing us with towels to dry ourselves off.
Our room was small, as to be expected in Japan, but very comfortable and exceptionally clean. Internet access hook-up was available for free in the room, which we had no problems connecting with our laptop. It was fast and came in handy quite a few times. We were the only foreigners I saw while at the hotel, so we didn't feel like it was a touristy type place, but all hotel staff spoke good to excellent English.
There is also a Citibank down the street on the corner of Karasuma and Shijo, which is convenient as international ATM cards can only be used at Citibank or 7-11 ATMs in Japan.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GatorGirl23
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I booked this hotel based upon its rating here at Tripadvisor (this has become a standard intro, since that's how I always book my hotels!), and a highly competitive rate. After a three night stay, I left very satisfied, and I'd definitely consider staying here again in the future. The hotel is located exactly in the center of Kyoto. The best way to get around Kyoto is by bus, and the nearest major stop (reaching nearly everywhere) is about 3 blocks away. You can get a one-day, two-day, or various other bus passes at the hotel's front desk, which was very convenient. Some of the major sights and shopping areas (Gion, Nijo Castle) are definitely within walking distance. The rail station is not, and we opted to take a taxi (it's not very far, I think the fare was somewhere around 10,000 yen).

The hotel itself is kind of hidden, with sort of an "old europe" kind of entryway and lobby. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was small, but manageable. Bathroom extremely modern and nice. Bed was comfy, free internet, what else is there to say? A very nice stay and pretty close to five star, which I don't think I've ever given out in a review here.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tinadam
Reviewed January 24, 2009

This hotel was a pleasant surprise!
Very comfortable convenient and clean, and location is great, Nishiki Market is walking distance, walking to Gion took me like 20-30 min.
The best part was the communal bath it has, you pay small fee but it's totally worth it! It's spring water as well, and there's also an area where you can open window to feel cool breeze from outside while you soak your tired body from all day of walking. There's also a seperate lounging area on the same floor where you can hangout, order food in a clean spa setting. It was so nice to comeback to the hotel after a full day of antique and old everything(which is great) but i need to get full rest in comfort of familiarity and recharge to experience new things next day!
I definitely would stay there again when i'm in kyoto next time, did spend few nights in three sisters inn annex but it really was old and not comfortable although the ladies were nice and was good experience to be had, for few days max.
I love the Onsen in this hotel and it blows me away that they don't use it as their selling point!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank picky_travellerNyc
Reviewed January 23, 2009

We stayed here in october and kept prolonging our stay because this hotel is magnificient. We travelled japan and this was the best hotel we stayed in. The staff is extremely helpful and the rooms are good size for japanese standards and of superb quality.
There is a trick though to get this hotel for half the price!
Our japanese friend booked the room on the same website of the hotel but in japanese. In the Europe this is forbidden but here they have different prices fort he japanese. We ended up paying about 10.000 yen for a double room.
Around the corner you can rent bike for about 7 Euros and cycle to all the sightseeing. There is also a starbucks next to the hotel, which is handy because the breakfast in the hotel is overpriced.
every morning you get a newspaper to your door and they have a spa, which costs about 15 euros per person, if i remember correctly.
If you want you can get married in the european style church below which is built in every monterey hotel in japan.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank coconuts1234