“Spacious and elegant”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #12 of 376 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Kyoto sites are quite dispersed, so regardless where you stay there will be quite a number of "trips" across town. The advantages of this hotel on the eastern side of the town are
- a 15+ minute walk or a five minute taxi (or slightly longer bus) ride from the JR station
- modern and - a huge plus in Japan - spacious rooms which offer sufficient wardrobe space
- a relatively large bathroom, with seperate toilet, and a large shower area with a tub, again not common in most Japanese Hotels.
- the quietness of the area and
- its vicinity (next door) to Sanjusankendo Tempel.
It is not far from the river and you can even walk (about 20min) north to the Gion and Karawamachi area.
The service is "usual Japanese", i.e. polite, efficient and most of the staff speak sufficient English.
So if you look for a convenient, quiet location and prefer to be able to unpack your suitcase and to be able to turn around in your sink and shower without hitting a wall, this is the place to be!
The only outage was that we had reserved a non-smoking room, at check-in before lunch the receptionist told us that they have reserved a non-smoking room, but when we were shown to the room in the afternoon it was a smoking room. They corrected the mistake quickly and served us coffee in the meantime, but one "point" less in the overall rating....

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJN

Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have stayed here twice for business. Both times I have stayed in the back of the hotel away from the street The rooms are quiet comfortable and very modern The hotel staff is extremely helpful and always have someone who speaks English at the desk. It is a short cab ride to the train station and easy walking distance to several temples.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2014

It's been over a year since I last visited the Hyatt Regency Kyoto but it's still my favourite hotel. Not only do I love the standard energy saving features and comfort of the room, but the service is impeccable! Typically, hotel buffet breakfasts are your standard run-of-the-mill, but I still find the Hyatt's selection vast and satisfying. I also love The Grill and find the hotel lobby absolutely breathtaking in design.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2014

If you know the Hyatt standard, this is it. We were looking for a hotel that was away from the train tracks and the heart of Kyoto, for the sake of a little extra sleep. I booked it online through TripAdvisor, which connected me to a Japanese site that enabled me to get a steal on our would-be $300 room for only $180, with a king size bed good enough for my 6'4" husband and my 5'8" self.

We have become accustomed to the Japanese size hotel rooms, but this is the largest room that we have ever stayed at in Japan. The bed was huge, the pillows were comfy, the room was spacious, and the shower was great. Two main restaurants can be found in the lobby: The Grill (steak and things) and an Italian restaurant, Trattoria. [The Italian dinner was nice; it cost us 12, 500 yen. The Grill offered a cold or full buffet for breakfast, which cost us 3, 289 yen per person, and was great! I opted to make an open salmon sandwich with the fresh croissant, salmon, and cream cheese. Very worth it, in my opinion.]

We drove our rented full size van, a Vellfire, and only paid 1, 500 yen for 24 hours, the cheapest amount that we have paid anywhere in Japan. Finding the designated parking area was a breeze, as was navigating toward the elevator and to the check-in counter. No maze. The staff were amazing from check-in to check-out and anyone who assisted us spoke English. Upon check-in, we were escorted to our rooms. Upon check-out, the concierge provided a map and pointed out everything that we asked about.

Notes: the famous Sanjusangendo (1,000 statues) is right across the street and there is another temple at the south end of the street. A bus stop is also right outside The Grill restaurant, which can take you to the train station/main bus area in Kyoto. I suggest purchasing a day pass for 500 yen. There are so many things to do in Kyoto, and although Hyatt might be out of the way, it's a good place to return to at the end of the night and also a good starting point. I also suggest looking at a map before deciding where to stay in Kyoto--it can be a lengthy process, but I usually drop in the address in Google to see where the hotel is in relation to everything else.

Room Tip: We booked a room with a king size bed. I don't know if these rooms are larger than a single, dou...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank exquisitektc
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Usually stay at the Granvia Station hotel which on this occasion was full - tried the Hyatt but did not realise how far out of the way it was - hotel was very good, clean and modern however I thought it was a bit overpriced for what was on offer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

+ve

*we stayed here for a couple of nights and had a comfortable stay. On first glance I thought we might have been better to be further north but the location was ok - having said that, you will need to be comfortable walking large distances. I had a pedometer on and we were doing nearly 20k steps a day getting around. The weather was good and we didn't mind walking but it will give you an idea if you want to walk to the sites.
*go a little but east and you are in the thick if temples and cobbled streets and souvenir shops.
*the hotel felt pretty standard. Reasonable room size, clean tidy etc. bathroom was relatively luxurious.

-ve

*the spa was fully booked so we couldn't get any treatments.
*the service at breakfast was truly awful - having to ask several times for things. We got our pancakes for free because they were so late.
*we got into the hotel quite late when checking in and went straight to the basement restaurant, which was massively overpriced and the service was poor.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2014

In visiting Kyoto, I was in two minds - whether we should try the traditional ryokans or to just stay in the conventional hotels. On the Shikansen ride from Tokyo, we decided to just settled for the Hyatt Regency as we thought it would be a safe choice to just stay at a familiar hotel chain (we are Hyatt Gold Passport members). We were pleasantly surprised to see the hotel settings and ambiance, which were Japanese enough for us, and the excellent japanese hospitality too! Room was very comfortable, with a beautiful view of the autumn colors of Kyoto.

The location may not be near the train station but convenient enough for us with easy access to public transportation.

My husband and I had a good time in Kyoto and enjoyed the Hyatt hospitality there. We willl definitely return!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple