“Beautiful hotel and Fabulous service !”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #8 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt Kyoto for 4 nights and it was one of our best stay in Japan. The service is very good, Concierge will try their best to attend to your every request. Most staff here speak english. The room is well designed and the bathroom is very comfortable. Good amenities too. They offer a western buffet or Japanese breakfast. The western breakfast is excellent. Location of the hotel is good. About 10 mins walk to the nearest subway and about 25 mins walk to Kyoto main train station.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank saxonewoon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,528)

Reviewed December 31, 2013

In November during my weeks of travel in Japan, I accidentally lost all my cash, credit cards and passport in Kyoto, I asked for the direction of police station at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Kyoto. What happened afterwards is so touching and I am forever grateful!!!!

Please note I did not stay at Hyatt in Kyoto this time. The staff, Mr.Nakagawa Schoichiro 中翔一朗 advised Mr. Kazuto Teramoto,寺本和人, front office manager of my unfortunate encounter. The hotel was so busy and surely they really did not have to help me out other than pointing me the direction of the local police station... But amazingly, and I am forever grateful to their deep kindness and really respect their going extra extra efforts in helping me.!! Instead, Mr. Schoichiro walked the miles, accompanied me to the station, interpretated and translated for me with the local policeman, (who spoke not one word in English), it took over one hours!!!Afterwards, he even helped me to get the transportation for my next destination, and phoned my next hotel of the incident.!!!!! I am truly grateful to Mr. Schoichiro, and to Mr.Teramoto for sparing one of his staff at a peak season to help me out.
I have been a Hyatt member for two decades, and this level of kindness and service truly raised the bar in the Hotel Profession. They have most certainly gone beyond their professional duties in assisting me and helping me out. With their help, my next hotel was informed about the situation, and I was able to rush to the consulate for help and obtain my identity paper.

Well I salute you for your wonderful and kindest staff you have on board. Once again, thank you and for sure, see you next time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lavoyageuse66
Reviewed December 27, 2013

When one of our party became ill and needed to go to a doctor, the hotel recommended a clinic which was literally 30 seconds around the corner! They sent a member of staff along to translate, who stayed around for several hours, even though it was late. They did their best to translate difficult medical terms and were helpful and sympathetic. I ended up staying in the hotel for three weeks, while a family member was in hospital. The staff were charming, caring, concerned and did a great deal to make my stay a lot more pleasant than it could have been. They understood that a European person would struggle with the Japanese hospital food and provided me with breakfast, lunch and dinner from the hotel (they did charge us for this, but that's fair enough). This made everything a whole lot more bearable and the food was all beautifully prepared and presented. Nothing was too much trouble. They sent flowers to the hospital, along with presents and lots and lots of good wishes. All very thoughtful and kind. So, they were there when we needed them and I'm extremely grateful for their help and kindness.
So, in summary, it's a lovely hotel (I should know I stayed there for 3 weeks), the food is delicious, the spa and beauty treatments are very relaxing, and very well executed, and the staff are very thoughtful, helpful and lovely. I thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dogcube
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here on honeymoon in December and had a lovely stay. The hotel is beautifully designed, and the management have clearly thought of everything, from the accessories in the room, the excellent showers, to the great choice of a healthy breakfast. The details are everywhere. The Touzan bar in the basement had a friendly barman who made our visit at happy-hour truly perfect.

I do agree the rooms lack a bit of sound-proofing, and the gorgeous wood bedroom furniture makes noise that seems to travel, but I'd argue that the comfortable beds and perfect temperature of the room made sleeping easy enough, despite the jet-lag. Breakfast was delicious and our first dinner in Japan was also great. Would definitely visit again if I come back to Kyoto.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the peaceful courtyard with its pretty garden and pond.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katy G
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

You cannot call your hotel 4 or 5* when the rooms aren't the slightest bit soundproof. I can hear tv in room next door, toilet flushing above and drawers opening / closing in next room. Absolute rubbish. I challenge the manager of this hotel to try to get a decent nights sleep in one of these rooms. None of the guests are especially noisy. The rooms are just like a 1* motel / hostel. No amount of nice linen, restaurants, etc. can paper over this one key basic item. Do not stay here. Especially at £200+ a night - it is a rip off. Go to hotel Granvia in the station. We were recently there for three nights and you heard a bit of the train noise but it wasn't half as noisy as the Hyatt. Also, Granvia is cheaper and bigger rooms (although the bathroom at the Hyatt is much better compared to Granvia. But you don't need a magnifying mirror to see the circles under your eyes for lack of sleep!!!)

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelsma
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Excellent quality hotel with outstanding service. Comfortable rooms with good breakfast and really helpful concierge. Gym was high quality as well. Central station a bit of a walk but otherwise nice location and close to many temples. More expensive than others in Kyoto but very good value.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The hotel is a short taxi ride away from Kyoto station (approx 7 mins). We arrived by Shinkansen from Tokyo before noon - check-in was not yet available. So we dropped our bags and went into town. This was our second time in Kyoto so were familiar with the places we like to go. We love walking and hence hotel was perfect location for us.

20 mins walk to Kiyomizudera temple. 7 mins walk to Shichijo train station (which we took to visit Kurama Hi Matsuri - fire festival). 20 mins walk to Kyoto station (which is where metro line is). All in all easily accessible.

There's Sanjunsangendo temple just next door to the hotel. We visited this on our first trip to Kyoto and well worth a visit.

Rooms are clean, tidy, functional. Comfy bed. Quiet rooms. Nice rain shower.

All in all we chose this hotel on our second trip for its location. Close enough to station to walk and by cab to catch the train. It's good standard hotel and also very quiet and peaceful. Would choose this again when next in Kyoto.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple