“Fantastic mid-autumn festival long weekend stay”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #13 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic mid-autumn festival long weekend stay”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We booked as part of a package so very happy with the value for money. Gorgeous hotel, great service, convenient location for sightseeing but quiet. We got upgraded to the suite after a miscommunication between the hotel and travel agent on arrival late at night. Made us forget the inconvenience completely. Rest of the stay was faultless with the staff being very helpful about booking restaurants and giving tips about sights. Oh, and did I mention the hotel is beautifully designed with a serene contemporary Japanese style. Would come back anytime and recommend it highly !

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed in Hyatt Kyoto last week for 2 nights . Unfortunately my husband had fever and was sick , the hotel staff was very helpfull . They brought thermometer , medicine , ice and finally choice of DVD s to make us busy at the room. Customer service was more than 5 star .
We only ate in the Hotel , all the restaurants were very good .
Only down side was the room location , it was on the annex building , to reach our room which was on the 3 rd floor , we had to went up to 2 nd floo then walk all the way through the corridor to reach another elevator then finally went up to our floor . Actually , our room was not at the annex building bu we arrived early and hotel offered us a temporary room then we were too lazy to change the room for 2 nights ... But be sure during the time of booking that your room will be in the main building .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the Hyatt Regency and I really enjoyed this hotel. I think this will be a standard review, really nothing to complain about, everything was just perfect. I booked a king bed room, on the second floor and the bed was outstanding, enabling you to immerse in a really deep sleep. The shower room was also very nice, with a floor reminiscent of a Zen garden. The room had great illumination, it was impeccably clean and it was a pleasure to come back in the evening after a full day of travelling around Kyoto.

The breakfast was also very good. It was buffet-style, and a small, discrete army of waiters and kitchen staff were ready to help you in anyway, without intruding at the same time. Being a smoker I like to have my coffee with a cigarette and although the restaurant is non-smoking, you can go out at the right corner of the hotel entrance and there are chairs, ashtrays, and a generous coffee pot with paper cups…that choice is available only while the restaurant is open, but I thought it was very smart.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, welcoming you with a big, genuine smile and ready to accommodate in any way. For example, I had no more business cards left and needed to have some more printed. I simply asked a lady at the reception and, within 5 minutes, I had the address of the closest shop that makes business cards, a map on how to get there, the cost involved, she even told me how much time I should expect this to take. She did all this efficiently, and I could feel she really wanted to help, it was not just "a job."

The other thing I liked about this hotel is the location. It is literally 2 minutes from the great temple Sanjuusangendou, and also close to Kiyomizu and other big temples nearby. For me this trip was both business and pleasure, and I could combine both perfectly at this hotel.

1 Thank Stefan L
London, UK/Detroit, MI, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent one night in this property whilst in Kyoto for holiday. I normally stay at the Hotel Granvia Kyoto (located right in Kyoto station); however, on this occasion they wouldn't let me book a room for one night - the Hyatt allowed this. In summary:

Rooms - The room was clean and very "zen" (you didn't get a zen feeling in the lobby, which was always rammed with people). My room looked out to a garden and pond with carp in it. The air conditioning worked well, free water was provided and free Internet (a real plus these days!).

Location - Kyoto isn't as easy to get around as, say, Tokyo. You have to grab a taxi or take the bus to get several places. That being said, you can walk to/from Kyoto station and other tourist areas. Cabs are always waiting in front of the hotel as well.

Service - The staff were very polite and spoke good English. No complaints.

In the end, I would stay in this property again. It was a little expensive, so I would compare against the prices at the the Hotel Granvia Kyoto and book the cheaper option.

Palm Springs
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Very elegant. Spacious room. Loved the bathroom. Great staff, central location, National museum is across the street. Had dinner in the restaurant, yummy Italian food. This would be my first choice if I return to Kyoto.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I spent 3 nights with my wife on our honeymoon in the hotel and left with excellent impressions. The hotel is not in the city centre but easily accecible with a bus or metro. The service throughout the hotel is excellent. The manager has invited us for a cocktails (try the Japanese whisky...) to celebrate our honeymoon while we had also a bottle of wine in our room. These small details differentiate a good from an excellent hotel and make you come back....The food at the restaurant is also top class cuisine (try the tuna dish...) and service impeccable (special thanks to Yuki Yamamoto for the service and tips on the city).

Would definitely go back to this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here 1 night late February when we took the Shinkansen high-speed train from Tokyo to visit Kyoto. The hotel does a wonderful job of merging the western mentality with the Japanese aesthetic. This has to be the most peaceful and relaxing hotel where I've ever stayed.

Our room was small for North America's standards but large for Japan's. The bathroom was compact but comfortable. Our room didn't have a view but the earth colors and minimalist décor made it very soothing nevertheless and not claustrophobic. I thought the room was just gorgeous. The beds were comfortable. Service was impeccable. The restaurant was good for breakfast but did not have all the western choices I would have liked. I was worried about the location but it wasn't a problem and what I found super convenient was that the Sanjusangendo
Temple was right next door, since I had a long wish list and limited time. We had a guide and took taxis as I was using a cane due to a sprained ankle. However, I noticed that the hotel was very accessible to bus routes.

Just a little note:

We used a guide through Tours by Locals who was just excellent, but there is a lot more English in Kyoto than in Tokyo (which has almost none). As a result, I would say that you could probably manage fairly well without one. For me, the guide allowed us to see more in a limited amount of time and made our stops much more interesting.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and I suspect that most of the rooms are but I would nevertheless request it. As...