“Loved our room & most especially their daily breakfast buffet & restaurants.”

Hyatt Regency Kyoto
Ranked #8 of 407 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is a newer hotel with a modern, cool vibe that I loved from the first. Our room was well thought out and large enough to include absolutely everything we needed. The architect & designers did a fantastic job I thought, barring an extra sink for a significant other (only needed if your getting ready together of course), I could have stayed a week. I was a bit worried about the scheduled power outage but since there are slide locks on the door, there was nothing to be concerned with. The concierge was also wonderful (as was the front desk & everyone spoke perfect English) and arranged many things for us and I recommend everyone take full advantage of these resources while traveling! We rented a car and drove to this hotel, from the train station and it was pretty effortless although a GPS that speaks in English (built into a Japanese rental) does not have buttons with English words on them, be advised! This upgrade was useless unless someone who speaks and reads Japanese plugged in our info, for us, before taking off!

Tip: There are tons of temples right outside the door & there's no need to pay someone else to show you them, unless you need an explanation of what they are all about. I arranged full day tours with the concierge to save time and get an overview of the area. After that, just walking tours would make more sense & that's what we did finding some amazing things without the hustle and bustle of a tour group.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the rock garden, on the 2nd or 3rd floor would be my pick.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,529)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

When I arrived in Kyoto in early January, the temperatures were sub-zero. So it was great to bask in the welcoming embrace of this hotel. The rooms are warm and inviting and the beds, though elevated from the floor, contain echoes of traditional Japanese design. The chiaroscuro lighting also adds perceptibly to the relaxed atmosphere as does the large wet room where you can take a relaxing shower without feeling cramped for space. The only downside, from my perspective,was that the room was quite expensive. However, scarcely surprising, I suppose given that I arrived just after New Year and the hotel was packed with people at the time. As the week progressed, the crowds melted and the room which initially cost me about Euro 300 eventually dropped in price to about Euro 150 a night.

Like others, I was impressed by the choice of three restaurants in the hotel. Although the Italian restaurant there set me back about twice as much financially as its Dublin equivalent, it was worth it for the ambience and the high quality of the food, wine and service. But my favourite place to eat was the main grill in the central area of the hotel, overlooking the rustic garden. It cost me the equivalent of about Euro 35 for the express lunch which included - as one of its pieces de resistance - a Wagu burger which simply melted in my mouth it was so delicious. After the intensity of that flavoursome experience in the grill (washed down with a robust class of Burgundy wine), I will never eat another Western-style burger again. To finish, they served a Japanese (and improved) variation of Tiramisu with a double espresso. They also offer a high calibre buffet breakfast there in the mornings.

If you stay in this hotel, make sure you visit the Sanjusangen-do temple which is located just across the road. In the short space of a five minute walk, I found myself in another world, rooted in the mysticism of Kyoto's past as a monk chanted in front of a large Buddah and incense filled the air. The famous, World-Heritage listed temple of Kiyomizu-dera, is also within walking distance from the hotel, albeit at the top of a steep hill. But the trip to this temple is well worthwhile for the panoramic view of the surrounding tree-clad hills and the centre of Kyoto. When you're there, you should also descend into the inky darkness of the shrine to the female Buddah (which is located close to the entrance to the main temple). As you head underground, you have to trust yourself to the darkness in order to enjoy the re-birth which is supposed to occur once you touch the stone representing the Buddah herself.

Although I much enjoyed the 10 days I had spent in Tokyo, I found Kyoto a relaxing place in which to live life at a calmer pace. If you're travelling to Kyoto from Tokyo, make sure you catch the smooth-running Bullet train and not a plane. The fastest of the trains takes just over two hours and, if you're lucky, you'll catch a good view of Mount Fuji on both the outward and inward legs of your journey.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Insightful
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here for three nights with my parents on their first trip to Japan and I have to say they loved the hotel.

Likes
- Great decor in the foyer along with computers and printers
- Reasonable sized rooms
- Bathroom has a great wet area with shower and bath separate from the basin and the toilet (also separate)
- Very good buffet breakfast
- Ate at Touzan and while expensive it's certainly a memorable meal with the chance to try a number of dishes that I hadn't had before

Dislikes
- I felt the bathroom amenities were a bit light; for example there's a great bath but no bath salts
- The sauna area at the Spa is a big let down (compared say with Park Hyatt Tokyo or even the Regency in Osaka). I had complimentary access as a Diamond member but for others I believe the price is JPY1600 (approx). It just consists of 3 showers and a sauna. No pools or steam room etc.

Overall I'd definitely stay here again. It's reasonable value for money and the location is good close to the train station.

Hyatt Diamond benefits
- Complimentary breakfast either buffet or a la carte
- Complimentary in room wifi
- Complimentary access to the Spa (as mentioned above)
- Welcome drink (1 per guest) on arrival either in the restaurant on the ground floor or in Touzan bar.
- Note the hotel has no Suites or Club rooms. I got a nice room on the ground floor overlooking the garden.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank splatnz
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having been to Kyoto many times, I chose to stay at a western style hotel because it was winter and I wanted my creature comforts like wifi , tv, choice of restaurants, anonymity etc. I used trip advisor to look for somewhere to stay. I chose the hyatt and found that it was better than I expected despite the fact that this was only " regency" .the rooms were basic BUT the wow factor was the restaurants, French and Italian that was superb, the excellent concierge service, and it was next door to the sanjusangendo temple which was a highlight. The location is a little out of the way but not so much as to be inconvenient. Everything was a 1000 yen fare away. The interiors were very stylish and provided free wifi in the rooms. The breakfasts were excellent, some of the best French pastries outside of France . We will definitely be back if next in Kyoto.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank christopherong
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel in Kyoto. We loved the styling and ambiance. The room had a beautiful view of the garden. The staff was very helpful and we were able to visit many of the sights with some in walking distance. I would definitely come back here.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank konadog1
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've stayed at Hyatt's all over the world and this one was as good as anyone i've ever stayed at. Location is great, service is great. I wouldn't consider it the most authentic Japanese experience, but its still very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Many here have reviewed this hotel but I would just tell an amazing story how they responded and helped us when we made a mistake that could easily ruin our holiday mood.
We stayed there for 5 nights, checked out on New Year eve and took a ride to our next hotel at Ritz Carlton Osaka. Immediately after we checked into the room in Osaka, we received a call from the stuff member of Hyatt Regency Kyoto that the safety box in our room was still locked and they requested our permission to open it. Then my wife realized she had forgot and left her wallet with large amount of cash in the safety box. The stuff assured us that the security manager and the housekeeping stuff would open the lock together and they did find her wallet there.
For us to return back to Kyoto will be around 2 hour ride one way and the taxi would charge us perhaps around USD400-500 for the round trip. And not to forget this is new year eve which keeps everyone busy on that day. Amazingly, the stuff at Hyatt Regency, knowing that we are worried, volunteered to bring the wallet to us in Osaka, at no charge!!! So on that evening, the assistant manager Misato Imazu returned the wallet to us in Osaka, nothing went missing.
Our holiday continued unperturbed. Instead of in foul mood, we celebrated the new year impressed with not just the stuffs and management of Hyatt Regency but the honesty standard in Japan. Truly remarkable!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family