“The Ritz-Carlton Kyoto...wow, just wow!!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
Ranked #3 of 366 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Oakland
“The Ritz-Carlton Kyoto...wow, just wow!!!”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is truly a spectacular hotel. We were fortunate to spend four nights here in mid-March and have to echo the sentiments of those who’ve commented on the amazing interior. It’s stunning. I can’t imagine anyone entering the hotel and not being “wowed”.

We were in a luxury Kamogawa room overlooking the river. I understand there are numerous room categories and this suited us perfectly (particularly the huge soaking tub).

I had to work while on vacation. This was almost a treat given the constant changing river views in front of me. Although we were there before the cherry blossoms, I can imagine how beautiful they must be as viewed from the hotel.

I had a wonderful massage in the spa and we throughly enjoyed a swim in the warm pool (with retro swim caps!) and sauna after.

The breakfast buffet was copious and very good as was the Italian restaurant. I’d highly recommend both. And after a day out, it was a real treat to sit by the fire in the lounge for tea or a cocktail.

But here’s what really differentiates the hotel for me.
I arrived at the hotel after spending five days quite ill in Tokyo. Even the day we arrived I’d considered returning to the States rather than continue the trip. I’m so very glad that I went on the Ritz. I couldn’t have been better received or taken care of. The wonderful Four Seasons Marunouchi (please see that review) had contacted the Ritz on my behalf and wow, did they come through for me. I was cosseted and looked after as if a VIP. There was seeming nothing that was too much trouble.

Dinner out was not always an option given how I felt and I spent more time in my room and the hotel than I might otherwise, so I know whereof I speak.
The thoughtfulness and kindness displayed was extraordinary. I can’t recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Simon F F, Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto, responded to this review, June 26, 2016
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your review and of course your wonderful comments we are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us here in Kyoto.

The hotel Indeed the location is very central here in Kyoto and only a stone’s throw away from all the entertainment of the Gion ( downtown Kyoto ).
The rooms themselves are quite spacious with a mix of Western and Japanese decor which makes your stay a real Kyoto experience.
Of course all of the above would be nothing without the touch of our Ladies & Gentlemen dedicated to servicing you in a way which only The Ritz Carlton can do.

We thank you again for your comments and most of all feedback in which is so important to us here, we hope to see you back one day again and until then from all of us here at The Ritz Carlton Kyoto wishing you all the best and of course safe travels.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I were tremendously excited to stay at this hotel after we heard about it opening, and it did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived the service was fantastic, even for Japan's standards (which are very high). The brand-new property was very thoughtfully created. The room we stayed in had a gorgeous view overlooking the river. The design was very modern, but also unmistakably Japanese. The western breakfast buffet had croissants that alone were good enough to make me want to come back. All in all, this hotel exceeded every expectation I had, and my expectations going in were high.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

United States
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at several Ritz Carlton hotels around the world and this is by far my favorite. This new hotel was gorgeous with a feeling of serenity, it was the perfect place to end my trip throughout Asia. Unfortunately, I only got to stay one night.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed two nights in April. We got to see cherry blossoms at the river next to the hotel. The staff was amazingly helpful with directions and assistance in getting us show tickets in Gion to see Geiko perform. These tickets are very difficult to get, but they got them for us. We do not speak Japanese, but the staff was able to speak English very well. The décor and design were breath taking with its attention to detail and well thought out floor plan. It was easy to see that this building was planned so that every view inside and out was artistic. I had the feeling I was in a painting or a piece of art. The room was exquisite! Lighting and glass set the mood as both were adjustable. Just relaxing in the room was a pleasure. I would recommend this upscale hotel to anyone, and I have stayed at several. Now is the time to book your room, because once the word gets out that this new hotel is open, it will be more difficult. Loved this place and will plan on returning on my next visit to Japan. Too much to see in just one visit, and this hotel is in the right place to see them all.

Room Tip: Ask if you want a water view or city view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug H

Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel and it is by far the most exquisite place we have stayed. The room was beautiful, architecture of hotel amazing, and the staff was courteous, friendly, and very helpful. Valter, the Guest Service Manager, went out of his way to help us with the things we needed. Mariko at the Concierge Desk was able to help get us tickets to an event that is typically sold out. The spa area and swimming pool were unbelievable with beauty. We will definitely come to this hotel again when we are in Kyoto. It was magnificient!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

amsterdam
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have stayed several times in Kyoto but was never able to find a really good hotel. Now the search has ended. For the Ritz Carlton is the perfect place to stay. A perfect blend between Japanese atmosphere and western comfort, the brand-new hotel is built in a style respecting Japanese tradition and it perfectly achieves this aim. Both architecturally and from the standpoint of ambiance the hotel oozes Japanese style. It is a beautiful (not very tall) building, with a Japanese garden and has large and very tastefully furnished rooms, with lots of wood and very comfortable beds. It is totally quiet, both inside the rooms and outside.The airconditioning is whisperquiet as well (as it should be). Lighting is well done (turns on automatic ally when approaching the closet), the shower and bath both very large. Wifi is free. Several restaurants are available, Italian and an excellent Japanese one. The hotel is immaculate being brand new and service is top notch. Don't expect a classical Ritz Carlton here, but it would not have fitted in Kyoto. The hotel blends perfectly with Kyoto and still is extremely luxiurious. The location is convenient and you can rent a bike to go around town. There is no question: when in Kyoto, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: all rooms should be excellent
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank sylvain7

Beijing, China
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I stayed 2 night at Ritz Carlton Kyoto less than a month since it opened, and I had come to this hotel with highest expectation for a relaxing weekend. When I arrived the right word to utter is "wow" even though I have experienced too many luxury hotels. The décor and overall design in architecture and interior is something to be admired. There is even a garden in city center. The room is spacious, and decorated and equipped to the highest order. Other factors constituting to the "wow" include very friendly service from the heart, and good restaurants. The Japanese set of breakfast is a must-try....more than 10 sorts of things comes in a banto box and it in itself is an experience. The location is downtown, yet a city resort by the river, some 5 minutes' walk to the main street. The huge building houses just more than a hundred rooms for the maximum pamper for guests. This comes with a price, as can be expected, but well worth it. It is not a stay, but an experience.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but they have river view rooms that I have not stayed in
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo