“historic place surrounded by natural beauty”
Review of Ninna-ji Temple

Scholar-led Small-Group Kyoto Walking Tour: Japanese Gardens and Landscape
Ranked #15 of 1,131 things to do in Kyoto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ninna-ji is a national tresure and also designated as a world heritage site. From over a thousand years ago, it has a deep co nection to the imperial family. Then, Ninna-ji is one of most famous temple which known for beautiful cherry blossoms, its wrapping up the end of the season in Kyoto - a town with many famous cherry trees.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 11, 2012

the gardens surrounding this temple are beautifully maintained . the temple structure is beautiful and this was one of the best places we went to in kyoto

There are newer reviews for Ninna-ji Temple

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We got by accident to this temple when trying to switch buses right across the street, it was not in the "recommended list" that we had from friends. It actually became one of the places I enjoyed the most.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Ninna-Ji is such a fantastic place to visit that Japanese production crews film tv shows and period films here complete with Shogun warrior armies and generals on horseback (trust me, I've seen it). The grounds are very well kept from the pagoda to the gardens. The ambiance around the place feels solemn and there is a reverence in the air. I highly recommend visiting this place along with Kiyomizu (the two best temples in Kyoto).

Reviewed July 28, 2012

There's a lot to see here, but it's all spaced quite far apart so the complex is quite big to walk around. What did attract me about this, though, was the miniature version of the 88-temple route on Shikoku. I didn't see it, however, because I got lost on my way here and ended up walking around a lot before a helpful old lady took me here. I was too tired to walk around a lot... I did enjoy what I saw and I recommend it to anyone, but only if you're in the vicinity.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Ninna-ji complex is located not far from the famous Gold Pavillion and thus is often missed by tourists, but it is a srtongly recommended place. It is also well-known for its cherry garden, but even if you miss the period of its blossom, you will enjoy the place. Go inside the main palace and enjoy the painted sliding walls, they are wonderful. The territory is big and well-kept. Remember to see the five level pagoda, it is 36 metres high.