“Great place to stay”

Ranked #50 of 369 Hotels / Ryokan in Kyoto
Centennial, Colorado
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Westin Miyako - there was a really cool air about the place and the city (first time visitor). The hotel has been around for along time but made us wonder how an exclusive hotel must have felt fifty years ago. It is out of the hustle and bustle of the city but 100 yards from a subway station. There is a very close by walk that takes you to one of the neatest temples as well as your not far from the Philosopher's Walk. Although our room was just OK - view of the tennis courts - it was very quiet and peaceful. The other really nice feature was the frequent van service that shuttled to the train station and would also drop you off downtown. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
richard_s1427, General Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our location. We have been playing a key role as a social center in the community for the past 120 years and are an integral part of the fascinating and well preserved ancient city of Kyoto, Japan’s old imperial capital.

We have a terrace on the 9th floor, and you can see whole city of Kyoto. Please enjoy the view when you stay with us next time.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you again!!

Richard S. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 26, 2011

When I saw the room, I was extremely disappointed. This was my 1st visit to Kyoto, and this is what I came for? To look at a few tennis courts? I read from Tripadviser reviewers how they had rooms with panoramic views of Kyoto and I was hoping to see the same. Even my least expectations were far better than what I got. I may not have expected a panoramic view but certainly did not expect to see tennis courts. I think the front desk staff should try visiting other hotels and see how they feel if they get such a lousy view when they are on vacation. I booked this stay with some of my SPG points and I wonder if that was the reason I was given such a poor room. But in my experience, when I have booked a stay using points, I have been given some of the best rooms in hotels. Some hotels just treat points like trash, so if they don't want you to redeem points, then why let you earn them?
Whatever positive that happened the rest of my stay could not make up for the fact that I was given such a lousy room. This was my 1st visit to Kyoto and this poor room will always remind me of it. It's unlikely I will stay here again, and it is also unlikely I will visit Kyoto again. A hotel has a responsibility of leaving a visitor with a good lasting impression of a place, but if you already messed up at check-in, then what chance does it have in giving a good impression?

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
TheWestinMiyakoKyoto, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for submitting your review to Tripadvisor. At Westin Miyako Kyoto we pride ourselves on offering personal and tailored service to every guest and so I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay.

About the view, we are making our effort to build up a harmonious atmosphere which is full of charm and is highlighted by a combination of timeless elegance and contemporary design. There are few kinds of view for our every kind of room- city view, garden view and mountain view. It seems clearly that those kinds of views have different feeling and enjoyable. But actually we have limited the numbers of city view room. Your comments about the staff of front, she should have introduced the situation about it more in detail and should confirm the request. The communication with the guest when check in is extremely important for our hotel. We are most grateful to you for letting us know of our deficiencies. We will certainly pass on your compliments to our team and continue to improve the service skill, to provide our professional service to all of our guests.

Since I do not have the details of your stay, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly if there is something g that we can assist you with and we very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to an improved Westin Miyako, Kyoto in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Richard S.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I stayed here for three nights. Thankfully, there is a free shuttle service that runs from the hotel to the JR Kyoto station. And Lord knows how many times we used it. Because the hotel is quite on the edge of the city. There isn't much going on nearby, which is why it was quiet there. The Gion district is at least a 30 minute walk from the hotel.

And the service was good most of the time, very friendly staff, but sometimes it was questionable. Upon checking in, the receptionist immediately started telling us about upgrading our room for 7000 yen a night, which includes internet access, use of some lounge, and breakfast. We declined, and she gave us a look of frustration and disappointment. I understand that they can try to sell us something, after all, that is their job. But I think her attitude to our rejection was inappropriate, especially for some one working in the hospitality industry.

That leads to another problem I have. The internet access isn't free. It's about 1500 yen for 24 hours. I think that in this day and age, simple things like internet access should be included into the room rate, especially for a high-end hotel brand like Westin. I am sure that even cheaper hotels would offer it for free. And the breakfast was very expensive too. I think it was something around 3000 yen. I never ate it, I'm sure it's good, but we bought our breakfast in convenience stores nearby, and we still got a good variety of food.

Other than that, our rooms was very nice. Clean and spacious. Quiet, too. Offered a lovely view of Kyoto from atop the hills.

I think that the Westin Miyako Kyoto is more of a hotel for tourists who want more luxurious services offered. But if sightseeing is mainly on your itinerary in Kyoto, consider some place else that is closer to the center and less expensive.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Karanila
TheWestinMiyakoKyoto, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, May 29, 2011
It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest at the Westin Miyako Kyoto and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Please accept my apology for the attitude of our receptionist upon your check in. Your comment was very helpful and we are most grateful to you for letting us know of our deficiency.

We appreciate your comment about price of the internet access and breakfast. It's our pursuit to provide our professional and high-standard service to all of our guests. The Westin brand values most the uncompromising services. Therefore, we are carefully looking into your comment and our team will improve the service level.

Thank you for your nice comment for the room. Since we locate on a hill, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the Kyoto city and quite surroundings.

We will be very pleased to welcome you again.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I have stayed at the Westin Miyako 3 times, and am looking forward to going back again this July. It has that cheerful international feeling that makes staying in a large hotel so enjoyable. The lobby buzzes with activity. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and the housekeeping is excellent. There are many nice touches like robes, pajamas and slippers in every room, and very nice tea-making equipment. The location is terrific, with delightful walks in every direction. The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to and from Kyoto station, and there are always available taxis in front of the hotel, with very helpful doormen to tell the driver where to take you in Japanese, and a subway station just around the corner.
The Japanese breakfast is not to be missed. It is like a kaiseki buffet, with a choice of lots of little dishes of Japanese delicacies, a big assortment of Kyoto pickles, and rice or congee. There is so much to see in Kyoto, so you need a lot of energy for sightseeing, and this will set you up for the day amazingly well. There is also a European-style breakfast buffet, with delcious pastries, hot food, excellent salad and lots of interesting juices.
There are large indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and it is a real treat to relax in a deck chair at twilight and take in the mystical mountains surrounding the hotel. You can see hawks circling high above, and temples through the dense greenery.
All in all, the Westin Miyako is a hotel I look eagerly forward to returning to again and again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank porter912
TheWestinMiyakoKyoto, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Thank you for your truly kind comments and for the 5 stars you gave us for most recent stay! It means a lot to us! We feel excited when reading “I look eagerly forward to returning to again and again.”

We appreciate your kind comments regarding our service, shuttle bus, housekeeping, and the location of our property.

The Japanese breakfast, recently we renew the menu, so we are very happy to hear that you like the menu!

Thank you again for your truly kind comment.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in July and please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Best Regards,

Richard Suter,
General Manage
San Francisco
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed 5 nights for a conference at the Westin Miyako. The service was equal to any service anywhere. Concierge service was superb. Rooms were luxurious and comfortable and large by Japanese standards. Location was perfect - near subway line and within walking distance of major temple sites. You can roll out of bed and walk over to a fabulous historic temple. Beautiful grounds to walk around. Buffet breakfast was very good but not the best in Asia by any means. I stayed first 2 nights in Japanese style separate section of hotel which was a very good experience - with private cedar soaking tub and 8-tatami mat room (plus dressing room, traditional porch and chairs) so this is a way to have the real ryokan experience with the benefit of the full-service hotel with pool and gym. But it was not good for washing and hanging up clothes so I switched to the deluxe western room for the last 3 nights. Check out the discount rates if you become a Starwood Member. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: For western style room, ask for a City view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank VaryaTours
TheWestinMiyakoKyoto, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review of our hotel during your recent stay. We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and our location.

Thank you for your nice comment to our concierge. We shared your comment with them, and they were very happy to hear your comment! We will keep working to improve other service quality too.

We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed our Japanese room Kasuien. At night, we put “Heavenly Futon” which is originally produced by The Westin Miyako Kyoto, We hope you had good sleep!

We truly appreciate your kind comment, and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Taranaki
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My son and I stayed two nights and found this hotel to be perfect for our needs. We spent most of the time exploring the bird walk and all the temples in the area. We did everything on foot including walking to downtown and them to the JR station and made use of the free shuttle back.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank sewsy
Thank you for taking your time to write a review!
We are happy to hear that our hotel was perfect for you and your son’s needs and you enjoyed our bird walk and the temples here.

Since our hotel is located on a hill, we have such a beautiful mountain view. Therefore, we are sure you were able to see a lot of nice spots in Kyoto on the way to JR station.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We booked 2 nights Kasui-en Japanese style room at Westin. When we arrived to check in, the reception lady showed no smile or any indication of welcome, which was a shock after a few days traveling around Tokyo and Kyoto.
The Kasui-en section not only looked abandoned but also like in a time warp of 1970s. The room was dark and depressing. It intends to have a view, but a view of the main road. The bathroom is even worse than any motel bathrooms. Appallingly, a PLASTIC flower stick as the center piece of the room. (All the ryokans that we stayed had fresh flowers).
We had to call to change the room. After 25 minutes of waiting, someone arrived but she hardly spoke any English and had not much clue what to do. Another good 30 minutes were wasted in communication/translation, we finally were led to a Western styled room. It was not a great room, but at that point, any room looked better than the room with a old worn plastic flower.
The so called Heaven Bed is nothing special. Do not be fooled by its label. The room was so hot like an oven and the air con control does not work. The bathroom also looks tired with plastic shower curtain. Down below our balcony is another tired-look/dried-up swimming pool.
We had stayed ryokans and are used to stuff not speaking English. But this is not a ryokan, this is Westin. I am shocked by the stuff's English level. The people at concierge spoke better English, but with an attitude as if we were bothering them.
I understand the poor physical condition of the hotel is beyond any stuff's control, however, their unfriendly attitude is the chilling part. The hotel is far from what it claims and please book with caution.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank houzi
TheWestinMiyakoKyoto, Manager at The Westin Miyako Kyoto, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for submitting your review to Tripadvisor. At Westin Miyako Kyoto we pride ourselves on offering personal and tailored service to each and every guest and so I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. Your comments about the attitude and professionalism of our associate and the time it took to acknowledge your discomfort and take appropriate action are very much appreciated and we are taking them very seriously. I shall personally address them with our associates and heads in the respective departments. The Westin Miyako, Kyoto has welcomed international and Japanese visitors and guests for over 120 years. We are making a great effort to build up a harmonious atmosphere which is full of charm and is highlighted by a combination of timeless elegance and contemporary design and we have a loyal following of guests, some in their 3rd generation that do enjoy their stay with us.

As for the Heaven Bed you mentioned, we are very surprised by your feedback, because all of our well known Heavenly Beds are provided by Westin Hotels and Resorts and we have numerous comments about how comfortable the beds are and some of the guest actually buy them here at our hotel. We understand that for some guests the beds may be to soft or to hard and our housekeeping associate are trained to adjust the hardness until our guest feel comfortable and enjoy a heavenly rest. Our apologies that we have failed to communicate this to you appropriately.

In regards to Kasui-en, our Japanese Guest House. We are disappointed that it did not leave up to your expectation. Designed by the famous designer and architect, the late Togo Murano, and re-built in 1960, Kasui-en and its surrounding Japanese Gardens are protected by the city of Kyoto and belong to the Kyoto Cultural Historical Assets. It is our aim to preserve this unique Japanese Auberge in its original but with the comfort of modern times such as the Heavenly Futon for generations to enjoy and appreciate. We shall ensure going forward to communicate to our customers clearly what to expect, so they can enjoy the calmness and peaceful surrounding that many of our guest appreciate.

Again, please accept my most humble apology that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us, we shall make every effort to improve our services and we very much look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to an improved Westin Miyako, Kyoto in the near future. It would be my great pleasure to show you around our historical property and explain its interesting past and social connection to the local and international community on your next visit.

Richard S.